Author Topic: anyone have installation instructions for Holeshot exhaust installation?  (Read 4035 times)

Offline ridenclimb

• TURBO TYPER!
I have a holeshot exhaust installed on my 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S which has a rusted midpipe and some scratches in the can from a bambi induced lowside.  I purchased a new holeshot midpipe and slipon from a sale on Ebay and now all I have to do is intall it to make the Bandit pretty again.  Did not come with any installation instructions. 

I have the high temp copper gasket seal recommended on Dale's site but is that all I will need? 

From looking at the old exhaust it looks like all I have to do is
1) loosen the clamp which attaches the midpipe to the header. 
2) Remove the clamp which holds the can
3) Remove old exhaust

4) apply gasket seal to midpipe
5) insert midpipe into header and tighten clamp
6) attach slipon to midpipe with clamp
7) slip muffler bracket around new pipe and fasten to bike

Is this pretty much it or are there any special gaskets needed?  Anyone have a set of installation instructions they would be able to email me or send as pdf?

I just don't want to pull off the old exhaust and find that I am missing something to get the new one fitted and then not be able to ride while waiting for whatever.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

David
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 03:16:55 PM by ridenclimb »
2001 Silver Bandit 1200S

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: anyone have installation instructions for Holeshot exhaust installation?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 07:56:29 AM »
  Thats about it, go for it :beers:

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 11:21:51 AM »

I have the high temp copper gasket seal recommended on Dale's site but is that all I will need? 

Are you talking about the sealant or the actual donut gasket used to join the mid-pipe to the collector?  Sometimes the donut portion needs to be replaced depending on mileage and condition.
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline ridenclimb

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 03:14:31 PM »

Thanks for the reply txbanditrydr. What I have is just the tube of high temp gasket sealant.  I do not have a donut gasket.  If this is needed for the installation I would prefer to have it on hand so I can do this once and without any future problems.  The bike is 7 years old, has over 55k miles and the midpipe is showing some pretty nasty rust so I am guessing the donut may be due for replacement. 

I looked at bikebandit to see if I could identify the part number and what I see is

CONNECTOR,MUFFL  Part number  484911-001   $19.76 
which looks like it fits between the stock OEM midpipe and the header.

I also see
GASKET,MUF JOIN  Part number  484432-001     $4.11   
but this part is not pictured in the schematic.

Any opinions?  Would really like to know how the instructions that come with the Holehsot exhaust read if anyone has a copy handy?

Thanks.

David

PS.  I plan to take a few pics during the installation process and do a writeup.  I know this is a pretty easy job compared to checking valves but a few pics and some instructions may make it easier for someone else down the road.

2001 Silver Bandit 1200S

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 03:55:30 PM »

CONNECTOR,MUFFL  Part number  484911-001   $19.76 
which looks like it fits between the stock OEM midpipe and the header.

That's the part you're hunting.   I found the same thing on Ridenow.com (different part number but same item on the micro-fische) for 3 bucks less but not sure how shipping and taxes might figure into the final cost.

A How-To with pics would be awesome!!!...  good luck and let us know how it all turns out.
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline ridenclimb

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 04:53:25 PM »
Thanks again txbanditrydr.  I like the ridenow.com site you mentioned.  Seems their prices are at least 10% cheaper than bikebandit.com so you saved me some bucks. :)

I am placing an order for a bunch of stuff valve cover gasket, signal gen cover gasket, etc to do the valves in the spring so I will throw the connector muffler part in there as well.  Will be replacing the exhaust once I get the part and will post up with how it goes along with some pics.

Thanks again.

David

2001 Silver Bandit 1200S

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 11:29:01 PM »
If you get it apart and realize you're missing something.... just put it back together and ride until the missing part is received.  Even if this is your first time tackling something like this, you can have it pulled apart and back together in a half hour, I'm sure. 
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7