Author Topic: B6 full fairing build  (Read 14128 times)

Offline sandy klock

• Board Homesteader!
Re: B6 full fairing build
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2011, 09:37:33 PM »
man u are really rolling thru this build. One question. where do you live that u ride year round?  Good luck with finished product.  sandy
Fast? yes I'm fast, like a tortoise

Offline JRK5892

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2011, 10:42:08 AM »
hahahaha Chicago... i am the guy in Jan suited and booted ripping down the road at -5 degrees hahaha... that is why i want the fairiing on there and i am not building a street fighter...

got the paint work 85% done... all the black has been shot, the tail fairings are shot and cleared, all the little odds and ends plastic deals are shot, reflective clear, and satin cleared....
only left on the paint work is to clear the front fairing side pannels, airbrush and clear the tank and small back section of the tail, and main windshield... then paint work is DONE!

with any luck the swingarm bearings will be there today and i can get the wheels back on this sucker and shorten the wires up a bit for the HID, hand warmers, and few other odds and ends... Saturday put back on the plastics and add fluids... and ride this sucker!

Offline canyonbreeze

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2011, 11:47:48 AM »
I like the flat black a lot.  I don't have equipment or place to spray though.  Is there a decent brush on flat black paint someone could recommend?

Offline JRK5892

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2011, 12:32:37 PM »
you can rattle can it fi you do not have propper paint equipt. i have rattle canned a ton of bikes. if you take your time and do it right you can get amazing results!... painters touch rustoleum... use satin black and the matt clear. follow the directions close!

Offline JRK5892

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2011, 12:48:38 PM »
oooh ya, all the flat black on the bike is powdercoat (and the red) the satin black on all the plastics is paint

Offline canyonbreeze

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2011, 04:23:43 PM »
But nothing brush on? Have neighbors in 'very' close proximity who would object to spray fumes, probably including from cans.

Offline JRK5892

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2011, 04:31:57 PM »
you live in an appt? shoot it outside on the deck? heck i shot a whole bike in my spare room when i was in college in an apartment. just tarped the piss out of it, used a furnace filter in front of a box fan and put the box fan in the window.... barely smelled at all man

Offline JRK5892

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2011, 01:58:11 PM »
well... GOT ALOT DONE!!!! was able to finish the airbrush work on the tank, covers, front shield, and then also lay the clear down. from there rebuilt the Front and rear brakes, installed new brake pads, installed the valve cover, forks rebuilt and installed, front fender installed, and brakes put on as well as the fork brace.  wired in switches into the plastics, installed GSXR rear shock and located the resivor, installed rear turn sigs.
Left to do: shorten wires up and clean them up, wire rear turn sigs, add plastics, install swing arm and bearings (they are still not here or i would be riding), add rear wheel. go over everything... then work on the rear floating fender on the rear tire

here are the pics:

Paint work:
(the pearl silver looks insane under the satin clear)

covers and caps on the bike

Mechanical stuff:

wheel assembled and bearings in

black contols tuck nicely behind the guards

red grill is on

new shock is in

have to make a bracket for the resivor

stock GSXR rear turn sigs, shortened and painted to match the plastics (i have to be seen)

what is left:

Offline JRK5892

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2011, 12:01:01 PM »
wiring wiring wiring... spent 4 or 5 hours with a soldering iron in my hands shortening and soldering wires to length. make it look nice and tight. LEDs are all wired and ready to go, eliminated the clutch switch, some more odds and ends, then got the front fairing mounted

on the grip warmers i removed the casing and made a box for the electronics under the back side of the fairing and ran the knob though the plastics for a cleaner look you can see the small LED light tapped in front of that as well

re did the wiring on the 2nd brake light

turn sigs all buttoned up

HID and control switches all cut and soldered to lenght

other pics

« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 12:03:48 PM by JRK5892 »

Offline JRK5892

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2011, 07:24:07 PM »
anyone have a stock shield they can sell me? i wanna cut one way down for spring!!!!

Offline JRK5892

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2011, 01:07:14 PM »
so... I PROMISE to get a real camera tomorrow... promise!
all I have left is to add fluids, install lower wind deflectors on the forks, 3m protective tape on the rear fairing, install saddle bags, make (coat and weld) rear floating fender (this will be done tomorrow some time), mount shock resivor

yesterday: got new swing arm bushings in, installed swing arm and dog bones, got rear wheel in place, mounted and installed fog lights, finished leds, installed rear fairings/grab rails, installed exhust (with copper seal), final mounted front fender, lubed and cleaned chain, installed tank, put back on the seat

i am glad that i left the exhaust chrome rather than coating it, i kind of like how it stands out... but i have another header so i may just coat it and toss it on to see how i like it... bike looks like it could be in a comic book, love it so far... the suspension feels great but i have not rode it yet, not you typcial fighter but it should handle 10x's better... carbs where synced and balanced before tear down, valves set, float needle adjusted, baffle removed, progressive suspension up front with 15w oil, rear GSXR shock with remote resivor, 170 rear tire, new pads, rebuilt brakes... bike should handle betterthan ever!

black swing arm was 100% the right call!

again i promise that i will get a real camera on this sucker to do it some justice! was pouring today and last night so i did not want to roll it out there

Offline JRK5892

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2011, 12:09:35 PM »

took her for a rip this afternoon and snapped some pics!

switch controls on the dash

Offline JRK5892

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2011, 12:10:10 PM »
OK... well i will start out by saying WOW... what a blast to ride! the suspension upgrades are spot on!!! she was a bit slick at first with the new rear tire but now i have 120 miles on her she sticks like glue! seems to have more throttle response now that the valves are adjusted and the carbs are dialed in...

last night Tim and i got to work on the floating rear fender...

bent some round bar to act as a support, then moved on to the fender portion

first we did a mock up and then tacked it in

bracket done

made up and welded on a bung to conect to the chain guard to keep it from moving around

also cut and shaved/bent a support bracket to keep it from moving up and down

and mock up on the bike

Not completely done as of yet, still have to powder coat it, going to 2 tone this, do the bracket in red, and the lid in flat black... then have to drill and tap the swing arm to make the lower mount bolt up

also was out riding at night figured i would post up a night shot with LED's on

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2011, 04:11:41 PM »
Great job... it all looks great, and i can't believe how fast you went through this project, again, Great Job!  :congrats:
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline JRK5892

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2011, 04:20:15 PM »
thanks man! was a blast to build!!! i really think i am going to track down a 1200 and build another... i simply LOVE riding this bike... i have 7 others and they just sit and i ride the piss out of this one... the upgrades on the suspension where such a great addition! glad i joined the site and read about them... simply love the way she handles now!