Author Topic: Little help?? 2001 Bandit S  (Read 4593 times)

Offline Newbie22

• New user!
Little help?? 2001 Bandit S
« on: February 10, 2006, 09:19:08 PM »
Just bought this. Has 4000 miles on it. Gonna have new rubber front and rear before I pick it up.1st question.... What kind of tires?
2 nd and third ... what should I look at to make sure this will run right? I want to get everything good so I can ride it not wait for it while it's being tweaked. ( I've learned my lessons with snowmobiles, get it 100% right from the start or they're no fun)  Any help you guys can give!! Thanks in advance.....
sean.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 09:51:26 PM »
Before we can answer your questions, answer these:

What kind of riding do you plan on and what do you want out of the tires as a priority? Your new bike wears common sportbike tires, so the spectrum is from full-race gummies to sport-touring tires.

Does the bike have the stock exhaust? Has it had the jetting altered? If the exhaust is stock and you plan on leaving it that way, jetting should be acceptable. It can be improved by shimming the needle and drilling out the mixture screw plugs and giving them a little tweak. If it has an aftermarket can and hasn't been rejetted, you should rejet it with a Holeshot, Ivan's or Factory-Pro kit. If you want to loose the airbox, plan on a Holeshot or Factory-Pro kit and some PAIR block-off plates. Obviously, if you plan on exhaust mods, plan on a jet kit, too.

Does it consume oil? (This is about the only known problem with some 2001 and early 2002 models - see the 1200 FAQ's for more info.)
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline jeepskate99

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 09:52:01 PM »
Click the links below for instructions on the mentioned maintainence.  As far as tires I like the Dunlop D220 but everyone has their own favorites and it's mostly opinion. (mine included)

Adjust your TPS

Adjust your valves

Make sure you're not burning any oil in the engine.  Pistons replaced?
There are no stupid questions,  only stupid people asking questions!

Offline Newbie22

• New user!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 05:20:05 PM »
Well.... To answer the questions, I'm old enough to know my limitations (finally!) and I think I'll do some sportytype riding when I'm by myself, but when I have my wife with me, I'll need to tone it down.  I'm pretty set in the profile of tire being rounded so I don't feel like i'm pulled down into the corner. The bike has a stock exhaust and I'm fine with that for now... As far as the oil consumption, I don't know. I haven't ridden it yet. I just bought it and haven't even registered it yet.  May is a little ways off, so I thought I'd get some of the important stuff done pre-season.  Hope that helps you answer my questions. Thanks for your help.

Offline jeepskate99

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 07:20:49 PM »
May?  I rode two weeks ago and I live in Buffalo!!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2006, 09:14:49 PM »
Sean, do you put a higher priorty on the tire's adhesion or to it's wear life?

Most of us ride at the sporty end of the spectrum, some sportier than others. When riding by yourself, do you ride hard enough to have no chicken strips on at least one tire? Do you drag hard parts, knees or elbows?

Some want the stickiest tire they can fit and don't care if it doesn't last. Let's call them 1's.
Others want a tire to last as long as possible. Let's call them 10's.

So, on a tire scale of 1-10, where are you?
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Newbie22

• New user!
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006, 09:33:22 PM »
I'd say the answer would be around 2-3. I've been reading alot, and I am thinking a lot about the Diablo Strata. I've heard to stay away from the Dunlops,.  Metzlers have picqued my interest, but I want something with the rounded profile.  I'm still looking, and I'm listening to everyone, and filtering the information. As far as rubbing knees or pegs on pavement, I don't think I'll ride like that anymore, but we'll see. I guess It depends on who I can hook up with around here to ride with.  I'm definately looking at the more stick end of the spectrum. I'm not going to worry about buying a new rear every year, so I'll just ride whatever sticks decent and I can get "some" mileage out of.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006, 09:55:11 PM »
The Strada is more of a mileage oriented "Sport-Touring" tire. Depending on your roads and style, one of these could last your 5-10K. Other tires in this class are the Michelin Pilot Road, Metzeler Z6, Avon Azarro, Bridgestone 020, Dunlop 220, Shinko 009. If you're a 2-3 class rider, you'll probably want to look at a tire with more stick and less life.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline jeepskate99

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2006, 10:01:29 PM »
Quote from: "Red01"
The Strada is more of a mileage oriented "Sport-Touring" tire. Depending on your roads and style, one of these could last your 5-10K. Other tires in this class are the Michelin Pilot Road, Metzeler Z6, Avon Azarro, Bridgestone 020, Dunlop 220, Shinko 009. If you're a 2-3 class rider, you'll probably want to look at a tire with more stick and less life.

I can't say for sure on the riding this guy does but I can say I run Dunlop D220's and scrape parts on almost every corner I hit.  How much more stick does a Bandit need?  Even with rear sets to gain some clearance I would still be hard pressed to think a ST tire wouldn't do it.  These things ain't CBR's fellas.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2006, 10:17:26 PM »
I tend to agree - at least from my own POV, but it seems everyone that rides in the tiny chicken strip zone that goes from a ST tire to a sportier tire has nothing but rave reviews of the change. Personally, I'm too cheap to spend the money on tires changes as frequently as these tires require. I like only having to buy tires once a year. And I haven't had any scarry moments out of my Pilot Roads... but then I wouldn't call myself a 2-3 rider either, I'm more like a 5-6. My strips aren't that big, but I always wear a tire out in the middle long before the edges.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)