Author Topic: clip vs. rivet link  (Read 8067 times)

Offline Bob Holland

• Board Homesteader!
clip vs. rivet link
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2006, 02:25:46 PM »
At the dragstrip, you see a lot of 200 + horsepower bikes using clip master links. At the Texas Mile, thier requirement is that you put some silicon on the clip.
If the output sprocket and the rear wheel sprocket are aligned right you will not lose clips.
I had a GSXR dragbike that use to lose a clip ever now and then because the frame was not stright, and the engine set a little crooked. I would check the master link after each race and replace the clip if it was gone.
If I didn't have a Suzuki, I would have a Kawasaki

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
clip vs. rivet link
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2006, 02:01:14 PM »
At the dragstrip, you're probably not trying to get 20-30K miles (or more) out of a chain - and you probably change gearing frequently for various tracks and/or conditions, so the convenience of a clip outweighs anything else. Right?
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Dragbike

• Board Homesteader!
clip vs. rivet link
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2006, 03:04:56 PM »
Quote from: "Red01"
At the dragstrip, you're probably not trying to get 20-30K miles (or more) out of a chain - and you probably change gearing frequently for various tracks and/or conditions, so the convenience of a clip outweighs anything else. Right?

Yes! I have seen many 300+hp bikes with several clip style master links on them. Example, in Top Gas (8.20 sec in 1/4) It is easier to adjust timing and have 4 or 5 rear sprockets to adjust your ET than it is to use a throttle stop. The smart ones will have 4 or 5 chains to go with 4 or 5 sprockets, instead of 1 chain and many master links. :shock:  
The chain on the bike to the left is 6 years old :bigok: and riveted.
I only drive it on the weekends :motorsmile:  and put about 35 miles a year on the bike.
So I would have to say it is different than a street bike in a sand/rain storm with 20k+ on it.
Brent
01 Bandit 1200S
99 FLHTCUI Ultra Classic Electra Glide
89 GSXR 7/11 w/turbo
88 GSX600F Katana w/1127 :)
82 Harley FLT
79 Harley Super Glide FXEF
I’m getting Old--- I remember when Sex was safe and Motorcycles were dangerous!

Offline Dragbike

• Board Homesteader!
clip vs. rivet link
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2006, 03:25:10 PM »
Oh by the way, the chain on my Bandit is factory and riveted and in the worst shape of any of the other bikes. I spend too much time working on my Harleys and drag bikes  :roll: to keep the Bandit in tiptop shape. I have a new DID chain and will be installing it this spring. With many bikes and friends (at least when theirs break down) with bikes. I own a Motion Pro chain tool. Plain and simple to me " I just don't have to worry as much" with a rivet. If you have a BIG HP bike  and a clip chain, just keep an eye on it. Along with the road, the curves, Soocer moms on the cell phones, the tires, and the farmers pulling out in front of you with their 1965 one ton GMC trucks, you will be fine. :banana:
Brent
01 Bandit 1200S
99 FLHTCUI Ultra Classic Electra Glide
89 GSXR 7/11 w/turbo
88 GSX600F Katana w/1127 :)
82 Harley FLT
79 Harley Super Glide FXEF
I’m getting Old--- I remember when Sex was safe and Motorcycles were dangerous!