Author Topic: Bandit 1200 won't start  (Read 7830 times)

Offline slazenger

• TURBO TYPER!
Bandit 1200 won't start
« on: April 21, 2010, 09:54:21 PM »
After starting it a few times through the winter with stabil added, I went to ride and the bike will not start. I replaced the inline fuel filter (an aftermarket add-on), cleaned the petcock filter ( was already clean) and verified fuel would run out when on "prime". When trying to start it I did have a solitary back fire through the exhaust with a couple attempts to start (run less than 1 second). I noticed I can not add fuel to the line distal to the filter (trying to prime the carbs). The gas seems to only fill the gas line itself. Also, with everything connected, pet cock on prime, it will not pull fuel to fill the in line filter. Everything is stock. I figure I have a clog somewhere where the gas line goes into the carbs. Any ideas of where else to start or any other problems that may be the reason it won't start will be greatly appreciated. I feel like it is a lack of fuel since no overflow. As I said I ran it around the block a few weeks ago and it seemed ok once it warmed up. Thanks you all. It's been a long time since I have been on here. I'm really itching to ride.
TEX

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Bandit 1200 won't start
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 11:08:37 PM »
Try it without the in-line fuel filter in the equation?

Offline slazenger

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 07:33:33 AM »
Yeah. I made sure the vacuum hose was attached to the petcock and carb too. I'm pretty stumped.
TEX

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 02:48:40 PM »
I'd do a couple of things before I got too carried away:
1. Make sure you have fuel flowing from the drains on the carburator float bowls.
2. Check the spark plugs for fouling.
3. Add some fresh fuel, the vapour pressure of the existing fuel will be low.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline slazenger

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 12:03:55 PM »
Cleaned and regapped plugs yesterday. Drained carb bowles. Gonna try fresh gas today. Thanks
TEX

Offline slazenger

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 12:39:26 PM »
Drained bowles (that why no gas going through line they were full). Cleaned plugs and regapped. fresh gas, wax job, tire checked, and now burning up the pavement. I think I may trade it for a vmax now i'm getting older.
TEX