Author Topic: bandit wont start.......cold??  (Read 6739 times)

Offline chrisallen

• Board Regular!
bandit wont start.......cold??
« on: December 06, 2006, 09:52:50 PM »
Ok, bike wouldnt start cold.   I tried turning it over a few times with the choke on and nothing.  Last time I did it I got a huge backfire(I could have sworn I heard something land in the bushes).   Whats the deal?  Havent messed with the carbs, bike is totally stock 01 1200 and I just got the bike, so I wanted to just go outside and start her up for a few minutes.

Offline zeebandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 10:33:55 PM »
Not trying to be a smarta$$, but could you give a little more detail? How long did the bike sit befor attempting to start?
Free thinker and proud to be a member of a board that let's me be one.

Offline chrisallen

• Board Regular!
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 10:42:05 PM »
Only a couple of days.  Bike was started friday I think, maybe saturday, so at the most 4-5 days.

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 04:37:38 PM »
How old is the fuel, or when did you last put fresh fuel in the tank?
The vapour pressure of gasoline is changed seasonally to match average ambient temperatures. This means a lot of the light ends (stuff that evaporates easily) is removed in the summer, but needs to be put back in as we head into fall and winter. Basically summer and fall fuel will not evaporate as easily in winter leading to hard starting. If the fuel in the tank is more that a month or two old, then try fresh fuel first. You mave have to drain the carbs after refilling the tank.

Where are you located? Give us some additional details of when you last rode, where you store the bike, anything else that may have changed. etc.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 04:07:24 AM »
The coils used on the Bandit do not like cold weather. The older they get, the less so. My Bandito will run on two cylinders if the weather drops to around freezing. (See Photo)

My old Honda would not fire below 40 degrees F. At 50 degrees it would fire right up. If you pull the tank off, warm the coils up with a hairdryer, I bet it will fire right up.

You didn't mention how cold it was.

Offline Frazho

• First Post! Be Gentle!
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 09:55:28 AM »
Chris, since you just got it, and that it is factory stock - you've never wrestled with starting it in the warm months.  Because of EPA reasons these bikes are very cold blooded - when stock my bike (a 1st generation Bandit) needed lots of choke to start and keep running in the warm weather.  In the winter it was even worse - major PIA.

After I put on the Stage 1 jet kit that reduced/eliminated the lean fuel issue;  not only was the overall performance much better, but it would start and run with minimal choke.  It also starts much easier in the colder weather - but you have to remember that these bikes have carbs and not FI (which takes all the fun out of starting engines in the winter....).

Having a good battery also helps.....   :grin:

If you're going to start her up, rather than merely letting it run for a minute or so, it would be worthwhile to really let her warm up before putting her away.

hth.
Chris (USN Ret.)
'00 B12S; Stg 1; HS 17" Street
TT&XT 500's for playing in the dirt.

Offline Robertbarr

• Board Regular!
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 01:56:48 AM »
Wow, Bazza, there's gotta be quite a story behind that picture.  I'm cringing just looking at it.  Did those bikes acquire that frosting while underway?!
... and God said, "Let There Be Air Compressors!"