Author Topic: Best Oil?  (Read 32761 times)

Offline ShadowWolf

• TURBO TYPER!
Best Oil?
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2005, 03:28:27 PM »
Oh btw TerreBandit those are some very clean looking bikes ya got there pawtner! :) I like.
" A man steals from me, I cut off his hand. If he lies to me, I cut out his tongue. If he stands up against me, I cut off his head, stick it on a pike and lift it up for all to see." -Bill The Butcher

Offline terrebandit

• Board Homesteader!
    • Daves Bandit Group
Best Oil?
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2005, 01:16:34 AM »
Quote from: "ShadowWolf"
Oh btw TerreBandit those are some very clean looking bikes ya got there pawtner! :) I like.

Nice of you to say!!!  Thank you!

Hey, that Castrol GTX dino oil works good too.  I used 20W50 because I live in TX where it is HOT.  The heavier weight oils are also better for the Tranny, so they say!
My Bandit(s) -click here  >={{{*>
2000 B12S "Good Ole Bob"
____ o7o____o7o ___Ride Safe!

Offline dsartwell1

• Board Homesteader!
Guess I'm the oddball
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2005, 07:51:35 AM »
I use Suzuki 10-40 motorcycle oil right from the dealer. He usually cuts me a break if I buy it a case at a time(about 2.50 a qt). I use Emgo filters and change it every 2000-2500 miles and have had no issues in 12000 miles. This is not alot of miles so I don't know about long term but I have no clutch slippage even when I'm 2up and twisting it hard. Had a Yamaha Seca 550 years ago and used 20-50 Castrol. Clutch slipped like hell! Didn't know squat about cycles at the time so I got rid of it. Probably just the wrong oil. FWIW a friend of mine builds race engines for drag cars. His opinion is that most any oil is OK with regular maintenance for most any vehicle but he says when switching oils use a motor flush type product to be sure all of one brand is out before putting in the new. Different oils apparently use different additives and when mixed together can give you problems when mixed. REGULAR OIL CHANGES are probably the most important and the rest is BS in my opinion. :beers:

Offline Steve

• Board Homesteader!
viva le difference
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2005, 06:18:38 AM »
Zook 10-40 with an Emgo filter. That just goes to show ya what wonderful engines we have here! (no offense intended)

On the other end of the spectrum we have guys like me running Amsoil 10w-40 with Puralator filters (and I am aware that some swear that the Amsoil has led to the early demise of their cam lobes) because that is the absolute smoothest the thing has ever shifted and run.

Kinda makes me think that you could run it with wesson oil in the sump and toilet paper in the filter housing and it would still outlast most rider's interest in the bike.

These oil threads are reallly like talking about vitamin suppliment for the bike, there will never be a consensus. Seems like if you use some kind off oil and change it now and then you will be fine (unless you really have one of the dread "oil burners" in whaich case you won't be fine until you get new pistons).

Steve  :motorsmile:
Primer Grey b12S

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
Best Oil?
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2005, 04:48:16 AM »
I have been using Mobil 1 MX4T 10w40 since new and have no complaints.

This stuff is expensive but I have worked out a beer for oil deal with my local Alcoholic bulk fuel dealer who brings in the stuff for me.

He empties my expense account, I empty his warehouse. I think someone in Germany eventually gets the bill.

Offline snofrog

• Board Homesteader!
Best Oil?
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2005, 11:31:18 PM »
i use Klotz 20-50 yes it`s for bikes . the main reason you ask ??? the smell .lol it`s not cheap but ive allways had good luck with it so i stick with it .M :motorsmile:
oo b12 s
thank`s Ivan
z/g smoke sr
yosh ss can
crg bar end mirrors

Offline 02B12S

• New user!
Best Oil?
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2005, 11:28:58 AM »
I've been using Rotella T 5w-40  no probelms..

JJ
02 B12S - Faster Silver
WWBOC #2478
Bandit Owners of the North East member #9
Gell Seat - Suzuki case guards - Suzuki Bandit Windscreen
Blade's- Vacuum block
DW- Progressive springs - ScottOiler - WWBOC plate frame - Bar Snake

Offline BBurton

• Board Homesteader!
Best Oil?
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2005, 01:18:57 AM »
Mobil Delvac 1300 super is great oil, as well as Valvolines new motorcycle oil. The Valvoline is also a great price, I would never waste my money on synthetic, maybe a blend though. :motorsmile:
2005 " All Black" DL1000 V-Strom
"CAUTION", front wheel may rise under hard acceleration!

Offline Steve

• Board Homesteader!
Best Oil?
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2005, 05:48:44 AM »
I would never waste my money on synthetic

It's not a waste bud, It's a measure of what you can afford and what it is worth to you. With the bikes and the years and the miles that I've been through I am very satisfied with my choice.

For you, it might be a waste.

Steve
Primer Grey b12S

Offline BBurton

• Board Homesteader!
Best Oil?
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2005, 12:07:37 PM »
Well, I guess this is why the V-Strom BBS doesn't allow anymore threads on oil. There was over 1300 replies in less than a week and there still was no flat out winner. The only truth is that todays oils are all pretty good stuff, its all in how they are marketed and pushed. I don't know how many articles that I have read from quote "experts" that say that motorcycle oil is a waste of money "including synthetic". I have a buddy that had an old chevy truck for years, he put over 225,000 miles in that truck without a drop of synthetic. And trust me, this truck wasn't babied at all. Hauled wood, gravel and commuted back from fort Bragg for years. Being consistent and using good quality oils and changing filters after every change is more than good enough. We all have such varying opinions because these are our baby's and we want them to last a long time. I've heard so many different types of maintenance products and procedures between boards that I think it is great. Todays bikes are made very well, especially the engines and I believe that they can withstand alot of abuse before failing on us. I pretty much follow the factory recommendations and just fine tune from there. I doubt that a manufacturer is gonna have you do something that is going to have them shelling out big bucks to either repair or replace our bikes!! Nuff said... :blahblah:

Offline bandibull

• Board Regular!
Oils well that end well
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2005, 05:04:25 AM »
MOst people never put enough miles on their bike to find
out if their maintanence is helping or hurting.

Under normal conditions, changing oil and filter every 2k miles.
you can pretty much use whatever brand of oil K-mart has on sale.
Your bike will last as long and run as well as the next guys.

There are a few circumstances where you might want to step up
to a true PAO synthetic like Amsoil or Mobile1, especially when
they're cheaper than the "motorcycle oils."

For instance:
If you commonly start your bike when there are icecycles hanging
from your speedometer. (I do)

If you've ever cracked an oil line and had to ride home with
maybe two quarts of oil left in the engine. (I did)

If you just like they way your bike shifts when using a
particular brand of oil. (I actually don't care but others here do)

If you put 15 or 20 thousand miles a year on your bike and
really dislike changing your oil ever 3 weeks. (I DOOOOO!!!!)
And if you're a cheap SOB. (I AM)

I had 37000 miles on my oil and filter at the last change though
if truth be told the filter probably should have been changed
somewhere between 25k and 30k.  Oil tests showed the oil
to be in excellent shape(viscosity essentially unchanged) and
only a couple of comtaminant levels hitting border line because
I pushed the filter a bit to far.

Now if you change your oil every 2k then you don't really need
an oil this good.  On the other hand if you're paying much more
than $20 for a gallon of dino oil and a filter then you're probably
getting ripped off.

:lol:  :grin:  :lol:
All the best themes have been used up,
turned into theme parks.
                                      HardHarry

Offline Bob Holland

• Board Homesteader!
Best Oil?
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2005, 12:03:44 PM »
No matter what oil you use, don't extend your oil change interval on a motorcycle. The paticals from the clutch will score the crankshaft and bearings if it is left in to long. I change oil and filter more frequentlly than 3000 miles, maybe more like 1500 miles.
Actually over the last 4 or 5 years, I average changing oil about every 100 miles, but that is on a dragbike. I used Castrol GTX 10-40. I now use Mobil 1 10-40 on the street, and I want go 1500 miles in 6 months.
If I didn't have a Suzuki, I would have a Kawasaki

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
oil choice
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2005, 01:37:11 PM »
I can't vouch for other bikes... but I recommend everyone try Mobil 1 (the kind without friction modifiers) at least once if you have a Bandit 600 or 1200.

I used Valvoline M/C specific oil and my shifting was clunky and the engine 'ticked' like crazy when it was cooling down.  Switched to Mobil 1 and Voila!  Shifting is like butter, and the engine has ZERO tick when it's cooling down.  That tells me it's running cooler.

Like I said... try it ONCE.  How much do you have to lose?  10 extra dollars?

(Walmart has 5 qt. jugs for $19.82)

Offline BBurton

• Board Homesteader!
Best Oil?
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2005, 05:39:47 PM »
Which Mobil 1 oil are you talking about, there are several?

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
Best Oil?
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2005, 06:20:18 PM »