Author Topic: Jet Needle, Needle Jet, and e-clip position.  (Read 10231 times)

Offline paulmeisterpk

• Board Regular!
Jet Needle, Needle Jet, and e-clip position.
« on: September 10, 2011, 11:51:07 AM »
Hi,
   I'm new on here, I've been lurking around and searching topics for a month or so and have been slowly getting the bike back in running shape.  The bike is a 2001 600S with 12,xxx on the clock.

It has been running poorly and very rich since I got it, and I am going to go through the carbs soon.  I'll probably remove them from the bike later today.  Somebody in the past has had there fingers in the carbs and I'm sure has messed things up.

I pulled the top off of one of the carbs last week and I didn't see any markings on the Jet needle and I could not find a stock setting in the manual for which position the e-clip should be in.  It was one position up from the bottom out of 6 spots available.

So, can anyone tell me what position the clip should be in, and how to tell what jet needle I have, as well as how to tell what needle jet I have?

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks,
  paulmeisterpk
1 3 5
2 4 R

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Re: Jet Needle, Needle Jet, and e-clip position.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 02:19:24 PM »
What country are you in?  IIRC, US versions don't have multiple e-clip grooves on the needles (I know the 1200 is that way), so if you're in the US and yours has 6, I think someone has installed a jet kit.  So I'd clean 'em up and start tuning.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline paulmeisterpk

• Board Regular!
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 03:16:00 PM »
I am in the US.  The fact that I couldn't find any markings on the jet needle and that you say there isnt multiple grooves on the US models makes me really suspect someones been playing around in there. 
1 3 5
2 4 R

Offline paulmeisterpk

• Board Regular!
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 03:47:03 PM »
The bike is running really rich and pours out black smoke when I get on the throttle hard, and occasionally shoots flames out of the exhaust if you get on and off the throttle.  So I'm thining I'm going to move the clips up and try to lean it out a bunch.  I just got the carbs off and the pilot screws were all the way in instead of 1.75 turns out. Nice.
1 3 5
2 4 R

Offline canyonbreeze

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 06:10:42 PM »
On the 400's there are no grooves or e-clip on the stock carbs either.  Those come with the aftermarket carb kits.  Seems like someone put a kit in yours then didn't tune it afterwards.

Offline paulmeisterpk

• Board Regular!
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 09:19:17 PM »
Another Question, when I take the pilot screw in from 1.5 out to 1.0 turns out, am I making it idle leaner or richer?

Thanks.
1 3 5
2 4 R

Offline paulmeisterpk

• Board Regular!
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 10:56:28 PM »
I'm assuming I need to turn the pilot screw in to go leaner.  The bike idles okay at about 1200 rpm, but when i set the bike on the sidestand or slow down quickly with the clutch pulled in, the bike drops down to about 800 rpm and wants to die.
1 3 5
2 4 R

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 11:52:52 PM »
Hi paulmeisterpk:

Sounds like someone's jet kit is installed. My Canadian spec '02 B6 has non adjustable needles, so I needed to add shims to adjust. The most likely jet kits with adjustable needles are Ivans Performance Products (http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com) or dynojet.

Your correct that the pilot screw controls the fuel on the B6 carbs, so out is richer, in is leaner. I have mine set at approx 3 turns out.

Moving the clip up towards the top will lean out the midrange circuit...but you should check the shape of the needle jet to make sure it hasn't become oval from wear. With your low mileage, it should be OK. Also make sure the slide diaphrams are in good shape, no tears, and properly sealed, and that you have all the necessary o-rings.

Most importantly, put in a fresh air filter...even if it looks clean, it could be plugged from moisture.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline pounce

• New user!
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 02:17:03 PM »
If changing the clips doesn't help or causes other trouble then maybe the needle jet is too big.

Offline paulmeisterpk

• Board Regular!
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 10:21:31 PM »
Okay, so I've got it running pretty good now. Stock pilot and main jets, unknown jet needle and needle jet, e-clip one from the top, and pilot screws at .5 turns out.  It has a D&D pipe, and what I believe are D&D headers, as well as a K&N air filter. 

Probably going to have to retune it when I put stock head pipes and stock muffler back on it in a few weeks.  The D&D is just too loud.
1 3 5
2 4 R

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 06:05:45 PM »
Pilots only .5 turns out on stock pilots? Strange. Maybe those fancy needles have a very aggresive taper. If it's a little loud, maybe the D&D just needs repacking. My bike got super loud after 4 years with my Muzzy. Just repacked it and it sounds great and not too loud at all, in fact it's almost too quiet. If you are only .5 turns out on a D&D exhaust, putting the stock back on there is going to make the rich problem even worse. Maybe try another end  can solution. I got my muzzy with stainless steel mid-pipe and centre stand stop for under $200. Not to mention you lose a bit of power with the stocker on there.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 06:20:53 PM by rider123 »
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.