Author Topic: bike wont start  (Read 3025 times)

Offline rino

• Board Regular!
bike wont start
« on: June 11, 2005, 11:59:15 PM »
Ok so I went out today to ride and it started kinda sluggish and backfired loud like a gun went off and then slowly died.  I smelt alot of gas.  Well after that I can't get it to start.  It cranks and backfires really loud every now and then but will not turn over.  Any suggestions?
Ryan

Offline Vee Dub Nut

• Board Homesteader!
bike wont start
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 01:18:51 AM »
Sounds like you have carb issues... check out my response at tamumc
Adam in College Station Texas

1996 Bandit 750s - SOLD!
1998 Bandit 1200s - SOLD!
2000 VW GTi GLX
1967 VW Beetle* slight modifictations

Offline Steve

• Board Homesteader!
bike wont start
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 04:03:50 AM »
Sounds like your plugs are fouled. At least pull 'em and blow 'em off or clean them a bit. New plugs may be in order. I wouldn't bother wearing out your starter 'till you get a look at the plugs.

Steve
Primer Grey b12S

Offline 99er

• Board Homesteader!
bike wont start
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 09:12:47 AM »
Stuck float? Happened to me on #4 and she still ran on the track but spit raw fuel at idle on the leathers of the guy behind me. The real cause was shrinkage of the needle valve seat o-rings. Gas ran around the valve.

Drain your oil. Smell like gasoline? Continuing to crank it could hydro-lock a cylinder. You don't want to go there. The plugs, if fouled, are fouled for a reason.

I used to cure my old Kawi 650 on the road by wacking the carb bowls with whatever was laying in the road - rocks, etc. Freed the valves. I was poor back then and didn't want to hand Kawi $100 for 4 needle valves. A good sign of them sticking was sliding out on the rear in turns as gas covered the rear tire. DOn't get the wrong idea about me. The Kawi cost me $100 and was my first bike. The B12 gets loving care.

Your carbs are likely dirty. Pull 'em and clean 'em.
Marc/Atlanta
'99 B12
mods and 25K

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
bike wont start
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2005, 09:15:21 AM »
Check for a good healthy spark, if not, could also be a ignitor box issue. The symptoms sound just like when the old fj's ignitor box spat the dummy
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.