Author Topic: Immediately dies with slightest throttle  (Read 6507 times)

Offline egbillc

• First Post! Be Gentle!
Immediately dies with slightest throttle
« on: February 22, 2014, 09:47:57 AM »
HELP!!  My '01 GSF1200 starts and idles normally but dies on slightest application of throttle.  No sputtering, no increase in RPM, just stops like the key was turned off.  This started after a tear down to replace the shift dogs and shift drum to fix a missing second gear.  I've torn down and done a complete rebuild of the carbs, and they have been off two more times to be disassembled and checked....all normal. I'm no greenhorn when it comes to carbs, having rebuilt at least 50 or so, and have double checked all the vacuum and vent lines.  The plugs are getting fire and the air cleaner is clean and in place too, and this is driving me crazy!  I've checked the Ohms and continuity on the TPS also, and it's good; it acts the same way with the TPS connected or not.  I've never run into anything like this before; I've had to tear down carb rebuilds to recheck floats,  re-clean jets and orifices etc. a few times on other rebuilds, but there is no obvious reason for the problem this time.  It ran good before the engine teardown, and I've split the cases and done rebuilds half a dozen times and am careful and know what I'm doing, but this has me stumped.....any ideas????
I Never Met a Motorcycle I Didn't Like.....

Offline greg737

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Immediately dies with slightest throttle
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 05:45:31 PM »
(Disclaimer) I'm relatively new here, just bought a Bandit 400 this past October, but...

The fact that your engine dies cleanly and instantly when you apply throttle sounds like it's happening "on purpose", which is to say that I would bet that the ignition box isn't getting a signal that it wants (the sidestand switch signal or something like that) so it immediately cuts the ignition system.

Is it possible that you failed to reconnect some little bit of wiring when you put it all back together after doing some maintenance?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 05:47:21 PM by greg737 »

Offline ventYl

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 04:30:08 AM »
I assume, that 01 still has carbs. Does it idle well on choke even after warm up? Does it die even after slightest throttle when warmed up? Are you able to regulate idle RPM via choke? And finally does it idle without choke after fully warmed up?
Bandit 400 1991 - stock except of swap from GK75B to GK75A

Offline bforeman

• New user!
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 11:00:22 PM »
Make sure the fuel line is routed correctly any slight kink will cause it to starve for fuel.