Author Topic: Chain Lifespan & Noise  (Read 12957 times)

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
Chain Lifespan & Noise
« on: August 02, 2005, 08:40:26 PM »
After going through much of the archive, I see that chain issues are a recurring and many-threaded topic!  What I didn't see is what to expect as chain lifespan, especially from the OEM chain.

In June, when my 03b12s hit 10,000, I noticed clunking noises from the chain area.  I thought the chain seemed loose and thought the noise might be from slapping the plastic guides and the like.  I asjusted the chain tighter and looser trying to get it right from my own perspective as well as what friends said and cleaned/lubed.  Clunking went away for a week then but returned.   Finally stopped at the shop and the tech (who was great) gave me an overview of adjustment and lubrication.  He went ahead and did both and all was perfect for about 350 miles.  (BTW, the sprockets look OK to me and he didn't say they were due for replacement.) The clunking returned this weeked, and after lubing, all is good again.  (I have 12500 on it now.)  

The tech said to lube it "after a 400-mile day" and/or "every week".  Other guys have said that's ridiculous, it shouldn't be needed that oftern.  I read where many of you do follow a weekly sched and/or some mileage interval of 300-500 miles.  If that's what I need to do, I can do that...not going sweat a 5-minute task.

SO...what's normal lifespan on a chain?  Am I having a lot of noise because it's so hot and lube just isn't lasting very long?  (I live in the hot and humid midsouth.)  I wasn't very attentive to chain maintenance in the past...an occasional thing when I thought of it, but not on any real schedule.  DId I prematurely wear it out?  The tech said it should be good for another 12K miles, but he also said this winter when I have some off-riding time I should go ahead and get a chain/sprocket replacement.

PS:  Using Bel-Ray now.  Used Honda red-can previously.
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline Steve

• Board Homesteader!
Chain Lifespan & Noise
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 04:26:27 AM »
I think 20 to 25k sounds like a reasonable lifespan provided the chain is kept lubed (I do mine @ 300 miles unless making long days, then at the end of the day) and kept adjusted properly (not too tight!). Of course this will vary with the number of wheelies etc that you subject the bike to. I am actually hoping that I will get 30k or better out of my current setup.Some guys can destroy the entire final drive setup in under 10k.

Steve

FWIW: Unless travelling, I use my first trip set to monitor fuel, the second to monitor the mileage interval for chain service, pretty easy to remember that way.
Primer Grey b12S

Offline Bob Holland

• Board Homesteader!
Chain Lifespan & Noise
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 09:44:47 AM »
When in doubt, change out the chain. When a chain breaks, it usually wraps up on the front sprocket and breaks or cracks the case on the motor. I have had this happen once, and seen it happen to others several times.
If I didn't have a Suzuki, I would have a Kawasaki

Offline fartndust

• Board Homesteader!
Chain Lifespan & Noise
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 11:53:29 AM »
If, or when you experience the "clunk" in your final drive next time, put your bandit on the center stand and squat down alongside your rear sprocket...roll the rear wheel by hand slowly and watch each link.  Remember on each chain there is an inside and outside link.  If even one of them wants to arch up rather than follow the path of the others smoothly, replace the chain.  If they roll smoothly over the back, move to the front and do the same.  It just takes one link to weenie out from being overstretched or early roller failure...and like was noted by BHolland, a chain is much cheaper than a case.
Do they make Case Savers for street bikes?  I have them on our ATV's...but I never thought about the Bandit...sheesh! :duh:
I was drinking at the time...so ya, I mighta said that.
IT'S ONLY FUNNY TILL SOMEONE LOSES AN EYE...Then hey! There's a free eye out there!
'02 Bandit 1200S  Me
'04 YFZ450  Me
'03 LTZ400 Wifey
'02 YFS200 Son
'04 Viper 90 Honeybun

Offline NHBubba

• Board Regular!
Chain Lifespan & Noise
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 12:35:51 PM »
Me too man..

I've got ~12500 on my B12 right now myself. Last weekend I did the first real thorough chain cleaning and lube in far too long. My chain was starting to make 'clunking' noises. I found the adjustment was pretty much right on, and neither chain nor sprockets are showing much sign of wear, but it was pretty dirty. As were the plastic guides on the swing arm. I throughly cleaned everything and applied new lube. It seems to have helped quite a bit. I too am starting to wonder if I have damaged the chain somehow in my negligence.

Normally I just apply more and more lube, rarely do I actually clean the chain before applying more lube. I think this has been my mistake. I think I need to get down there w/ some cleaner and a tooth brush and scrub more often, removing the dirt and road grime before applying fresh lube again.
2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200 - Red, Fast, Fun..
National Cycle F-16 Tour shield, otherwise stock

Offline fartndust

• Board Homesteader!
Chain Lifespan & Noise
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 01:41:19 AM »
As in any manufacturing process, a large majority of our equipment is chain driven, and most all of it cycles 24 hours a day, some at low speeds with heavy torque loads, some at very high speeds with just a little, and lots of intermediate speed and load.  
Our maintanance shop uses a guage that shows a certain amount of "STRETCH" that is acceptable in a chains life.  I haven't looked at one for a while, but the base measurement is like 12 or 14 links...and once those links reach a certain length the chain is replaced.  Generally the chains will start to CLUNK when a link has been stressed or has begun to reach it's life expenctancy.  I'll check with the shop and see if the same kind of guage works for bike chains....or if not what % of stretch is acceptable.  They might have some insight on whats-what...maybe :shock:   I'll try to follow up in a day or so.
IT'S ONLY FUNNY TILL SOMEONE LOSES AN EYE...Then hey! There's a free eye out there!
'02 Bandit 1200S  Me
'04 YFZ450  Me
'03 LTZ400 Wifey
'02 YFS200 Son
'04 Viper 90 Honeybun

Offline Robbieukb12

• Board Homesteader!
Chain Lifespan & Noise
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2005, 10:01:35 AM »
I have a 02 B12 with just over 10,300 miles on the clock and have and changed my chain and sprockets for the first time 2 days ago.
I was expecting to get alot more milage out of them but the mech' who changed them said this kind of milage was about average the sprockets showed some signs of wear but nothing to bad to my untrained eye anyway, but the chain has had to be adjusted several times in fact it was on the last marker on the swingarm when i decided to put a new one on.

I'm hoping to get a bit more milage from the new one as the mech' told me it was better than original, i do lube my chain but rarly get down and give it a good clean maybe if i did i'd have got a bit more from it. Oh well never mind.

Robbie
Robbie
2002 B12s
Ivan's jet kit
Scorpion exhaust

Offline buggyho

• TURBO TYPER!
Chain Lifespan & Noise
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2005, 10:25:39 AM »
I've got over 50,000 miles on my B12 and have never gotten much over 12,000 on a chain. I clean and oil them regularly but I do do track days. It all depends on how you ride and maintain your chain as to how much life you'll get out of it. I always change the sprockets when I change chains as well.
Good friends, good times

Offline GaryB12VA

• Board Homesteader!
Chain Lifespan & Noise
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2005, 11:37:38 AM »
I got about 12K miles from the OEM chain. I replaced it when I noticed the o-rings were starting to break up. I replaced it with a DID ZVM530 and got 20K miles from that. I replaced the chain (another ZVM530) and the sprockets about 6K miles ago.

I clean the chain pretty regularly with kerosene and lube it frequently with PJ1 Blue.
'06 FJR 1300A

"The person who says it can't be done shouldn't interrupt the person who is doing it"

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
Simple chain facts.
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2005, 12:14:47 PM »
You get what you pay for! zvm x ring top of the line DID, 20k and going strong. Stock one i got 16k. Chain wear or stretch is what wears the sprocket teeth the most! cheap chain cost more in the long run! From new, PJ's Blue label, one can @ work one @ home both over half full. 98 B12 new to me in late 99. I use compressed air or brush to remove most big crud, lube while chain is warm. About every week unless i get caught in rain or wet roads. Don't over snug your chain!! this is probably the biggest cause for short lived O or X ring chain. Rivet clip only for the torque monsters! It has to have the right slack when swing arm is at its straight back position. Most will adj with bike on the hard stand and not keep this in mind. the first time the swing arm moves to its flat position something got to give! The area of your chain, not on sprockets, on the top side with the torque on it. Much better to be a bit loose than too snug. Just the way i adj like after a tire change. With bike on hard stand after axle nut is tight, lower chain will touch bottom of swing arm with ease, it should feel the same at any point of the chain length. One other factor if you go to a primary with less teeth like a 14 expect a much shorter chain life because of the tighter bend. When this last chain was installed i went to 16f (have to grind guard) 43R for HWY travel. Maybe a part of why this one is still like new @ 20k.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Chain Lifespan & Noise
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2005, 09:44:20 PM »
My stocker lasted 15K miles. Sprockets still looked new, so they stayed on when the DID VM replaced it... ~3K later, something (like a rock?)must have got into the chain/rear sprocket and two teeth broke, so it was replaced. the VM chain lasted 22K and was just replaced with a DID ZVM this time. New front and rear sprockets went on with it this time.

I lube the chain every other tankful with Honda chain lube in the red can. The Honda stuff is pretty clean, so I don't clean the chain much, usually just at oil change intervals.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline flip

• Board Homesteader!
Chain Lifespan & Noise
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2005, 11:38:34 PM »
I recently tried the red can Honda chain lube. That is the cleanest chain lube I have ever tried.

Offline 97RedBird

• Board Homesteader!
Chain Lifespan & Noise
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2005, 11:22:27 AM »
For the 600's I read you measure 21 pins on the chain and if it is over 319.4 mm replace your chain.   Measure several places on the length of your chain.

I don't want to do this because I know my chain is on it's last leg.  Hope to make it another month commuting.
- Nathan
96 B6S

Offline fartndust

• Board Homesteader!
Chain Lifespan & Noise
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2005, 01:14:08 PM »
That's some good information Nathan.. :beers:
I tried to get the same type of data for the B12's but the only specs I have is for industrial links, nothing we can use :sad:
'02 Bandit 1200S  Me
'04 YFZ450  Me
'03 LTZ400 Wifey
'02 YFS200 Son
'04 Viper 90 Honeybun

Offline 97RedBird

• Board Homesteader!
Chain Lifespan & Noise
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2005, 11:17:17 AM »
Finally measured mine a few weeks ago and found I was well over the limit.  a few links also refused to follow the leader and would arch up.  

I've since replaced my chain and the front sprocket, going with 16/45 for my commuting (the rear sprocket only had 4-5k on it so I'm staying with it.   The bike is so much quieter now.  I also synch'd the carbs and I'm now at a indicated 75 mph at 5,700 RPMs.  Out of the buzz range and a smoother overall ride experience.

Now I need to switch out the temporary clip on chain link with the rivet on chain link.  

Anyone trust the clip on master links for commuting?  I had good luck with them on my old bikes.
- Nathan
96 B6S