Author Topic: Choke cable issue on 96 B6  (Read 2673 times)

Offline Jason F.

• Board Homesteader!
Choke cable issue on 96 B6
« on: May 18, 2006, 03:23:54 AM »
Is there a common choke cable failure on the older B6 bikes? I have not had mine home for more than a couple days and have not really had time to tear into it due to work but I know I will need to fix it.

The cable is non operable on my 96 B6. It is either broken or un attached at some point in the system. The bike of course still starts and runs fine but with a little slower warm up. I can push the choke lever with my finger and hold it but I can not use the bar mounted switch.

Any one have any part numbers, diagrams, or good sources for the choke cable and it's routing?
www.middletennesseeriders.com

"I want to live in a world where a chicken can cross the road without having his motives questioned"

Offline SHREDDER

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 05:26:10 AM »
I just replaced my choke cable for my 98 B6 recently.  The cable got kinked somehow inside the housing.  A new cable was a little over $20 at the dealer.  I installed it with little effort.  All you need is a screwdriver.
Ride on!

Offline SHREDDER

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 05:29:57 AM »
oh yeah give www.bikebandit.com a try.  They have a parts diagram you can blow up and look at.  Just punch in your year make and model.  When you replace the cable just snake it through under the gas tank with the other wires.  Watch how the old one comes out too.
Ride on!

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
cable
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 01:34:51 PM »
Typically what happens is that the cable kinks, the covers cracks open, then the cable rusts.  This happens all the time on dirt bike clutch cables.  Cheap, easy fix.  You can also find replacements at www.terrycable.com