Author Topic: clutch slip on 1st gen b12  (Read 2525 times)

Offline ghostinhere13

• Board Regular!
clutch slip on 1st gen b12
« on: May 26, 2007, 10:59:39 AM »
i bought this bandit in february. the gentlemen i bought it from used to run a 50/50 synthetic/organic  20/50 type oil in the bike. i found that it slipped right from the start. i tried a few different oils but none of them solved the problem. so i figured the clutch might need replacing because on of the rings was worn pretty good. so i've got a new clutch in it now, and i'm using castrol gtx organic oil at a 10/30 grade and i'm finding that the clutch is still slipping and i dont even have to ride it hard.. i understand this has been a problem for others in the past.. what do i do to fix it!! thanks guys

brad

Offline Blade

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.billsbikesnservice.com
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 08:50:21 PM »
Add a one Barrnett clutch spring and that should take care of it. When you replaced the clutch, did you replace both steel and cork plates?

Offline ghostinhere13

• Board Regular!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 11:15:36 AM »
yes, i ordered the barnett kevlar clutch kit. came with the clutch disks, steel plates, and two springs. i also soaked the disks for 24 hours. i'm just kind of worried something else might be wrong because when i got the bike in february, the clutch also slipped on hard acceleration. thats why i changed it in the first place.. i think i may try an extra spring, or a heavier duty spring instead of looking at the slave cylinder first. that could get expensive :boohoo:

Offline Blade

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.billsbikesnservice.com
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 11:39:12 AM »
I am not putting down Barnett Clutches, but I have heard that a lot of people who have used them, experienced the same problems as you. The springs work great though.

I would recommend putting an OEM clutch setup back in your bike and use the OEM spring and one Barnnett heavy duty spring.  

Another reason it could be slipping is that the clutch pack may not be tall enough, so the pressure plate is not applying enough pressure.

Offline ghostinhere13

• Board Regular!
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 09:46:03 PM »
well, as it turns out bill, you are most probably right. i called holeshot and was able to speak with mr walker himself. he said he's seen a few bandits with the same problem i'm having. apparently suzuki put out two different thicknesses of drive plates. one thick which is what most of the drive plates are comprised of, and one thinner which you should only have 2 of. if you get too many of the thinner plates then your pack will not be tall enough. so i've got the correct plates on the way, because i'm sure i've glazed the current ones off already.  :annoy:  and i have a stock spring on the way to go with one of my barnett springs. so hopefully all should be well after this week. thanks for the support

brad

Offline ricklee4570

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 05:55:16 AM »
I have used Barnetts brand Clutches and have never had a problem.

Offline ghostinhere13

• Board Regular!
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 09:50:41 AM »
ok, after a couple of tries. i've finally fixed this problem! at first i thought it was the oil, so i changed it a few times and had good luck with some oils and not so good luck with others. i changed out the clutch and used the oil i had the best luck with, only to find out it was an "energy saving" oil.. that was also with the barnett kevlar friction plates. i then asked mr walker from holeshot what he recommends and he said definitely put the oem friction plates back in. so i got the suzuki plates, some oem suzuki oil and threw those in there. when i pulled the steel drive plates out, i noticed there was a bit of a ring worn into them where you could tell the friction plates were rubbing. they werent glazed but worn. i used a scotch brite pad to scuff them up a bit and get the worn look off. i didn't scrape enough off to make a real different in the height, but they looked new again. i've been told not to try this, but i figured it was cheaper than buying new plates, and if it worked.. i wouldn't have to. after a few hundred miles i can safely say that there is NO clutch slip whatesoever and it feels great! the moral of the story is:
use oem plates
make sure your drive plates arent shiny
ride hard :motorsmile:

thanks for your help guys take care
brad

Offline camshaft

• First Post! Be Gentle!
    • http://www.procycleonline.com
B-12 Clutch slippage
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 08:50:22 AM »
I too own a 1st gen B12, and with the use of synthetic oil experienced clutch slippage, but only on occassion above 7 thou.
I messaged Dale Walker at Holeshot in California, who mentioned something about incorrect heights in the clutch pack.  What exactly, are the parts required to be replaced in order to prevent this from  reoccuring?
My engine is internally stock with a full Akrapovic system and dyno jet stage 3 intake kit, But I am about to install a 1990 GSX-R intake cam and a 1246 JE piston kit, so I'm getting concerned as I don't want to throw money away, I want to fix it right the first time.

Thanks to all who can enlighten me.
asphalt is for racing, dirt for planting potatoes.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 11:32:50 AM »
Look at the numbers called out in the clutch section of the service manual. If yours don't match up, replace 'em.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)