Author Topic: countershaft sprocket help  (Read 3607 times)

Offline yak

• TURBO TYPER!
countershaft sprocket help
« on: August 14, 2008, 11:03:22 PM »
i,m changing front sprocket (14)and i,m having trouble getting the 6mm allen bolt out of the end of the shaft does anyone know if this might b left handed or are they always super tight  scared of breaking off any help would cool  going up 1 in the  back also thanks   

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: countershaft sprocket help
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 11:53:08 PM »
I've changed mine out and don't recall it being left-handed.  There's very likely some factory lock-tite causing the problem.  I would avoid using an impact at this point - just a slightly longer bar.  Save the impact for the nut itself.
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline GeorgeJ

• New user!
Re: countershaft sprocket help
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 10:28:28 PM »
I just changed chain and sprockets (16K miles) and had the same thing. Like he said no impact tools just a longer bar. Also for the counter sprocket just leave the chain on and have someone stand on the rear brake. Also leave the old chain on to install the new front sprocket (same thing -  use the rear brake). A little bit of a dirty job but well worth it knowing you can torque it to 83.5 with any special tools. Maybe it's obvious but I remember braking the chain off and it being a real PIA to tighten to new front sprocket using pieces of wood to hold the sprocket in place.
George