Author Topic: DIY Top Oiler?  (Read 4631 times)

Offline drewpy_dawg

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
DIY Top Oiler?
« on: May 14, 2007, 09:24:03 PM »
I apologize if I missed this posted elsewhere...I'm a noob here and have tried to catch up best I could:
I was looking at the Top Oiler on the Dale Walker site...it looks really really simple and, well, kinda cheap yet is over 200 dollars?  
I've seen top oiler posts and I probably don't need one, even with what is going to amount to a stage 3 K&N pod/holeshot exhaust bike since I'm not going to be doing any track riding.  
The added insurance of it sounds good though...but some tubing and some connectors for 219 dollars???   :annoy:
Anyone done their own?  Know of something cheaper?
Drew
2002 Bandit 1200s - Blue - Holeshot exhaust, pod filters and dynojet stage 3 jet kit and carbon fiber look accessories.  
2006 Hyosung Avitar GV-650 (wife's bike) -Silver- bone stock (and pretty darn fun to ride)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
DIY Top Oiler?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 09:44:10 PM »
You forgot about the hollow bolts for the oil lines.  :lol:

I agree, it seems like a lot of $$$ for what you get, but AFAIK, it's the cheapest kit. The Vortex kit isn't much more ($265 at APE Racing). IMHO, it looks a lot better and can justify it's expense better, but it's still a lot of coin.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline drewpy_dawg

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
DIY Top Oiler?
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 09:54:08 PM »
Thanks for the link...I was hoping to see alternatives to the dale walker system.  It looks better and more robust as well.  Also, it looks like it is more worth the price being asked.   :thanks:
2002 Bandit 1200s - Blue - Holeshot exhaust, pod filters and dynojet stage 3 jet kit and carbon fiber look accessories.  
2006 Hyosung Avitar GV-650 (wife's bike) -Silver- bone stock (and pretty darn fun to ride)

Offline Bezzer

• TURBO TYPER!
Re: DIY Top Oiler?
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 05:32:12 PM »
Quote from: "drewpy_dawg"

Anyone done their own?  Know of something cheaper?
Drew

I'm making my own, just trying a few variations to see what looks best. If you know someone who is into home engineering or who works at an engineering place make up some drawings and get some done to your own design, should be cheaper and more importantly unique.
The measurements if you want them are -  Holes are 146mm centre to centre, they are M14x1.25 thread (length of thread 12mm) the oil feed takeoff above is M8x1.25. About the only thing to actually buy is the short hose from the feed to cam-cam.
95% of all Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road....the other 5% made it home.

Offline okbandit

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
DIY Top Oiler?
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 10:44:20 PM »
Beezer, are you going to restrict the oil flow or just hook them all together?  I was thinking of doing my own but I don't have a clue whether or not to limit the flow.
2001 B12-HS stage II, HS full exhaust, Gsxr cam

Offline Bezzer

• TURBO TYPER!
DIY Top Oiler?
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 06:36:32 AM »
Just going to hook them all together, the feed from the top will be restricted a bit by the diameter of the banjo bolt hole anyway. You'll just be pushing a bit of oil into the cams from the ends instead of it all going onto the sides, same amount will be present and splashing about, just redistributed a bit. You've got the 4 cam cover banjo bolts that spray everywhere else.
95% of all Harley Davidsons ever made are still on the road....the other 5% made it home.

Offline okbandit

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
DIY Top Oiler?
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 09:17:44 AM »
Thanks, I will give it a go.
2001 B12-HS stage II, HS full exhaust, Gsxr cam