Author Topic: Drilling out original exhaust on 2003 Bandit 1200  (Read 3284 times)

Offline davehenricks

• New user!
Drilling out original exhaust on 2003 Bandit 1200
« on: December 27, 2006, 10:16:56 AM »
I was wondering if anybody has tried to drill a few holes in the outlet of the original exhaust on a 2001 to 2003 Bandit 1200 to give it a more throaty sound.  I was considering a few holes in the center of the exhaust exit tube or inside the muffler to increase the sound volume instead of putting down $400 for a new pipe.  Let me know if anybody has tried this and the results, or how many holes you put in.  Thanks.

Offline Ranger

• Board Homesteader!
  • Resident Felon
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 01:51:56 AM »
:beers:
Note to self: Leave no witnesses

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 06:48:57 AM »
The biggest problem with modifying your OEM exhaust is that if you phuck it up then you've got to buy a new one anyway...

Also, I don't know what the EPA is like in your neck of the woods, but if you don't have a 'legal' replacement on hand then you still have to buy a new one.....

My suggestion is to buy an aftermarket exhaust of your choice and keep the OEM in the shed just in case.....
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline davehenricks

• New user!
I took your advice, went to Pipecity.com
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 01:08:17 PM »
I took your advice and went with the Scorpion Oval Carbon bolt on.  I priced around and Pipecity.com was the cheepest ($375) and there is no shipping charges.  I ordered it on Friday at noon the day before New Years weekend, and they said I might it as soon as Tuesday after New Years.  Sure enough, it came on Tuesday.  Pipecity.com is very nice to work with and the prices are great.  They also have left over Muzzy full stainless systems for $400 and full carbon for $500.  Great prices.
I put the pipe on and it sounds great. Not to loud unless you crank on it.  I had the carbs cleaned and a DynoJet ket put in and she runs like a top.  Thanks for the help. :thanks:

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 02:06:01 PM »
Congratulation for following up with a jet kit to balance out the change in back pressure. I never understood how people can invest in the most expensive part of the modification (exhaust), and not buy a simple jetting kit and free air box changes to get the most out of their bike. The B12 is pretty forgiving but I cant tell you how many people I have seen burn holes in their pistons.