Author Topic: Durn Messy Oil Filters  (Read 2825 times)

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
Durn Messy Oil Filters
« on: August 19, 2006, 10:54:28 AM »
Other than the original break-in service, I have been doing my own oil changes on el bandido, and last weekend at 23,800, it was due again.  (I've put 11,000 on the bike in the past 12 months, so oil changes seem to come around frequently.)

Since the oil filter sits on the bike sideways, ever after it seems the oil is mostly drained out, there's always a lot of oil *in* the filter, and more that wants to come out from the filter connection, to gloop all over the pipes and the general filter area.

Any tricks/hints to minimize the mess and clean-up?
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
Durn Messy Oil Filters
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 12:16:23 PM »
I'll sometimes tear off a big sheet of aluminum foil and wrap it over the parts that get dripped on.  Also you can form a 'valley' with the foil to make the excess oil drain into a certain spot.

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
Durn Messy Oil Filters
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 12:47:18 PM »
I like that idea better than my buddy's.  He says he uses an old sock.  How many old socks does he have?  Anyway, an old sock isn't any better than a shop rag, which quikcly gets saturated and lets the oil leak through.  Your idea makes me think of using plastic sheeting (like a drop cloth) to just direct the oil onto the newspaper on the floor, as long as the pipes aren't so hot the plastic would stick.
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline GSFStiny

• Board Homesteader!
Durn Messy Oil Filters
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 01:58:01 PM »
Paul,
I  tried the foil trick when I changed mine the other day, man it worked like a charm.  Not one drop of oil on the exhaust, or on the sidewalk that I use as my garage.  :wink:
I used to think the brain was the most fascinating organ in the body.  Then I thought, 'well sure, look who's telling me that.'

99 bandit 1200s

Offline Elmojo

• TURBO TYPER!
Durn Messy Oil Filters
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 10:49:40 PM »
Great idea Paul!
I wish I had read this 2 days ago! grrr.
Oh well, I like that burning oil smell, makes me feel alive!  :shock: