Author Topic: Engine Flush on a 96 Bandit 600 with 24000 miles  (Read 3425 times)

Offline Steve H

• New user!
Engine Flush on a 96 Bandit 600 with 24000 miles
« on: June 03, 2005, 11:48:36 AM »
Hi

I am new to this forum and this is my first post so please be patient if I ask a stupid question....

I was thinking of using an engine flush to clear any debris out of my 600 engine that I have just acquired -the type you add to the existing oil before draining. After reading some forums I now wonder if I should. Will using such a flush affect the clutch?? or the engine for that matter and has anyone done anything similar???

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve H

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
flush
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 02:39:41 PM »
Why do you feel the need for a flush?  I'd say with the mileage you have, if the previous owner changed oil as recommended, sludge would not be a problem.  What causes sludge are short trips where the engine never warms up to burn off water and acids that accumulate in the oil.  Time is as important on oil changes just like miles.  My concern would be if there is some grit in there thats not hurting anything.  If it were to come loose and the filter didn't get it, it would end up in the clutch plates.  I've read where car restorers will empty the oil, put in some cheap oil, run the motor a few minutes, then change with the good stuff.  This will help clean the inside.

Offline PieterH2

• New user!
  • Bandito lover from South Africa
Re: flush
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 08:53:45 AM »
Removed my 6 year old 1200 Bandit's sump yesterday. No sludge in the sump at all. 33000km's on the bike
I love my Bandit