Author Topic: D&D exhaust???  (Read 6141 times)

Offline olds_cool63

• Board Regular!
D&D exhaust???
« on: June 29, 2009, 01:15:08 AM »
Well, gang....I'm considering a D&D exhaust for my '01B12.

I'm looking for a the usual: somewhat louder, lighter, few more horses.

What I'm not looking for is to re-jet. I hear it's not necessary with the D&D.

Plus, I think the price is right.

Does anyone out there have any experience with this exhaust.

Anything you care to share will be greatly appreciated.

Nuff said.

olds_cool63

DON'T BE A SQUIDIOT!  :gatlin

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: D&D exhaust???
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 02:00:53 AM »
don't know about the D&D personally, but I know a few people really like them. However you may find that without a rejet you will see no horsepower increase and may even end up with a poorer running bike. That is IF currently you have stock jetting, the 1200 is notoriously lean from the factory which is only worsened by an aftermarket can.
Personally I would rejet with any changes to the exhaust. Maybe someone can chime in with some D&D specific info.
'05 Bandit 1200, Full Muzzy, Dyno jet stage 1, 5 degree ignition advancer, Galfer SS Lines, EBC rotors, busa shock, busa forks
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 10:51:39 AM »
+1 on jetting... you really need to put in a Stage 1 kit at the minimum. 

The D&D pipes are pretty popular in some camps.  I have found most of them to be on the loud side of loud - other people don't think they are.  My personal fav is Yosh but they are pricey.
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 11:23:21 AM »
I believe "cans is cans" as far as sound and HP increase goes, they're all pretty much the same.... but....

The two exceptions (in my opinion) are the D&D and 2 Brothers cans, which are more annoyingly loud than most of the others.

As previously mentioned, you should get the "partner" to an aftermarket can... a stage 1 jet kit... to make the Bandit perform as it should.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 04:50:28 PM »
When I first put my Holeshot 17" Street can on, I just shimmed the needles.  Seemed to be OK.  When I put the jet kit in (Holeshot Stage II w/pods), it REALLY woke it up!
The thing to remember is the Bandit is already running pretty lean off the showroom floor and you'll be making it even more so with a can and no jet kit.  Lean engines run hot.  Hot engines don't last as long.  In some cases, a terribly short time... as I found out at age 16 when I put headers on my 327 Chevy, didn't rejet the Quadrajet and a month or two later had two "no" compression pistons and six with 10:1.  Made it a better mosquito fogger than any 2-stroke bike I've ever seen.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline olds_cool63

• Board Regular!
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 01:12:04 AM »
Appreciate all the info, guys. Definitely gonna check around for a good can.

My concern with re-jetting is I don't want to lose any mpg since this bike is primarily a commuter.

Not really looking to get all the power I can out of it, but a few more wouldn't hurt.

So, if I shimmed the needles, how bad would that affect mileage?

Nuff said

olds_cool63

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 10:43:09 AM »
FWIW.... the Holeshot Stage 1 kit that I installed actually INCREASED my gas mileage by nearly 10%.  The extra power was just a bonus.  There's a nice jet kit installation guide in the download section if you're curious about the procedure.
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 01:08:09 PM »
FWIW.... the Holeshot Stage 1 kit that I installed actually INCREASED my gas mileage by nearly 10%.  The extra power was just a bonus.  There's a nice jet kit installation guide in the download section if you're curious about the procedure.
This is not uncommon ^^^^
Some even report this with a pod type kit.  With my pod kit, my average mpg only dropped ~1-2 mpg.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline StangMATA

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 05:35:01 PM »
I normally don't like D&D but I had one on my Bandit when I bought it. I liked it so much I bought another after my wreck.

It had a great tone at idle, is calm on the highway, but screams when you really crack the throttle. All in all a great can.

Here's a vid of me running the 1/4 and you can tell it screams at WOT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_vho-aFfG0
Ian<br />USAF<br />2003 Silver Bandit 1200s<br />D&D slip-on. Busa Shock. Mostly Stock <br/> www.BuckNakedOffroad.com

Offline pawnee

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 12:25:28 AM »
D & D was the first mod I did, jetkit came soon after. Love the tone, the kids can hear me coming down the highway when I crank the throttle.

Offline olds_cool63

• Board Regular!
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 01:45:37 AM »
I normally don't like D&D but I had one on my Bandit when I bought it. I liked it so much I bought another after my wreck.

It had a great tone at idle, is calm on the highway, but screams when you really crack the throttle. All in all a great can.

Here's a vid of me running the 1/4 and you can tell it screams at WOT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_vho-aFfG0

Stangmata...THAT'S the sound I want.

Cool vid, dude,

Nuff said.

olds_cool63

Offline StangMATA

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 11:47:12 AM »
Thank you. If you want, I can make a vid at idle and post it up as well. Let me know.
Ian<br />USAF<br />2003 Silver Bandit 1200s<br />D&D slip-on. Busa Shock. Mostly Stock <br/> www.BuckNakedOffroad.com