Author Topic: font tire removal tips?  (Read 2392 times)

Offline android12

• TURBO TYPER!
font tire removal tips?
« on: September 12, 2007, 05:10:56 PM »
Im getting a new tire for my front and noticed the manual says to jack the bike up underneath the engine when its on the center stand, doesnt say specifically where, any tips? will the bike tip that much? thinking of using a floor jack w/ a 2x4. thanks in advance.
'03 b12s Holeshot 17" comp 1 slip on, 5 deg timing adv, and stage 1 jet kit
'06 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
font tire removal tips?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 06:23:53 PM »
You need to "support" the bike under the engine, more than "jack" it up, as the bike normally sits on the centre stand and FRONT wheel.

I just have a short length or 2x4 that fits under the exhaust so that I can remove the front wheel. Once the front wheel is off, the bike then sits on the rear wheel and centre stand, so there is very little weight on the 2x4 when pulling the wheel and none once the wheel is off.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline chupacabra

• Board Homesteader!
font tire removal tips?
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 07:05:29 AM »
I use the cross bar right behind the oil cooler and a 2by4 cut to fit. Take the two bolts out holding the cooler and rest the cooler on a towel on the back of the front fender. Put the bike on the center stand have someone put wieght on the back of the bike so the front comes up then insert the 2by4. Or by a bike stand   :stickpoke:
Dave . . . San Diego, California
1996 GSF600S Marble Italian Red
I bought new in sept of 95
D.I.D. 530ZVM gold x-ring chain
Pirelli Diablo 120/60F & Strada 160/60R
Progressive fork springs
H.S. HD rear axle nut & washer
Hole Shot 17" comp1 can

Offline okbandit

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
font tire removal tips?
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 08:33:54 AM »
I use the wife sitting on the seat and leaning back.  Once the wheel is off you are fine.  I am blessed to have a wife that "supports" my hobby.  When I was a bachelor I used a strap from the bars to the support beam on the carport above.
2001 B12-HS stage II, HS full exhaust, Gsxr cam