Author Topic: Four gallons a fill up?  (Read 8746 times)

Offline zaphoid42

• TURBO TYPER!
Four gallons a fill up?
« on: July 23, 2006, 05:54:33 PM »
This is a 02 B6.

When I first got my bike, I ran back and forth to work and one day it died.  I  looked around and found nothing wrong, would crank, idle then die.  Looked in the fuel tank and could see gas in there, could slosh the fuel around.

The gauge also showed two bars. No flickering pump things.

Switched to reserve for no real reason, bike ran like crap.  But it ran, went to a station and filled it up. This was long ago (years) so I dont know how many gallons.  Ran just fine after.

Now I ride untill I see the two bars.  Then I fill up.  The bike takes on 2.5 gallons.  I get 48 mpg on average, so 120 miles.

So, before I hit reserve, I should be able to do 192 miles (4 gallons of fuel).

I can see a test in my future, to run it out of fuel again... sigh

I guess I want to know, is the gauge accurate on everone elses bike.  For me its consistent, 2 bars means add 2.5 gallons.  Then it shows full.

Should I run it untill out of fuel again, then see how many gallons it takes on?  I bet it will be with two bars showing and needing 2.5 gallons.  I bet it will.

Thats not right....
2002 GSF6

Offline zaphoid42

• TURBO TYPER!
Four gallons a fill up?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 06:33:11 PM »
Ok, I have the real question.

Do you guys regularly go untill you you need 3.5 to 4 gallons of fuel?
2002 GSF6

Offline jeepskate99

• Board Homesteader!
Four gallons a fill up?
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 07:16:36 PM »
I ride in rural areas on twisties.  I NEVER let it go below two bars.  I would rather just fill it and never run out.
There are no stupid questions,  only stupid people asking questions!

Offline elofdahl

• TURBO TYPER!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/lofdahl1/03gsf1200/
Four gallons a fill up?
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 07:41:04 PM »
Quote from: zaphoid42
Ok, I have the real question.

Do you guys regularly go untill you you need 3.5 to 4 gallons of fuel?

When riding easy, I usually wait till I hit reserve before filling up, unless I'm way out in the desert or open country where there may be 50-100 miles between stations.

When riding hard in the local mountains, I run it down to reserve and below, then fill the tank only half-way...It handles MUCH better on tight curves (especially downhill) without the excess weight of a full tank.
Eddie
'03 B12 S
'06 KLR 650
'07 C6 LS2 Z51 MZ6
http://www.bikepics.com/members/lofdahl1/

Offline cb400bill

• Board Homesteader!
Four gallons a fill up?
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 11:51:17 PM »
I ride an 02 Bandit 600s.  I reset the trip meter on my bike with every fillup.  

How far I get before filling up depends on how hard I have been riding.  I try to fillup when the low fuel indicator starts flashing.  

More often than not I go about 160 miles before filling the bike back up.  I have hit 185 miles before the indicator flashes, but not often.

Usually that means about a 4 gallon purchase.  I think reserve is 1 gallon.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Four gallons a fill up?
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 04:25:46 AM »
I generally ride until it hits reserve and start looking for gas. If I'm on a trip and I'm unsure of gas availabilty, I will fill up sooner.

On the 1200 & 600, you have a 5.0 US gallon tank (19L) on 1G's and a 5.3 (20L) on the 2G's. When they hit reserve varies some from bike to bike, but as a general rule, both Gens hit reserve after they've consumed ~4.0 US gallons.

If your bike runs like crap when it gets low on fuel, I'd suspect you have water in your gas and it gets picked up when it's sucking fuel from the lower pickup of the petcock when you switch to reserve. Water, being heavier than gas, will sink to the bottom, so when you run off the higher standoff when the petcock is in Normal, you're not picking up any water.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline gearset01

• Board Homesteader!
fueling
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 08:09:09 AM »
I dont like the way the bike feels with a full tank, sloshing around at 5 gallons. I ride with half a tank or less, I am a short distance rider 55 miles or less. If you dont get what I mean take a 5 gallon gas can shake it back and forth and quickly set it down on a smooth floor. Im 6' 4" 225 so there is probably a higher center of gravity for me than with a shorter rider.
 :boohoo:

PIN

Offline JayRo

• TURBO TYPER!
Four gallons a fill up?
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 12:01:58 AM »
I can't feel too much of a difference when my tank is full.  I am only 5' 10" and about 175, so I guess the extra 8 or so pounds a gallon doesn't bother me.

Offline Have Blue

• Board Homesteader!
Four gallons a fill up?
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 12:13:00 AM »
The only time I notice a difference in handling between a full tank and a half full one is if I'm doing an on the lock turn in a parking lot at 3-5 mph.  Out on the road, it doesnt matter.  B12 handling is excellent all around.  I probably use a touch more throttle in a turn to hold it up when the tank is topped off, but its hardly noticable.

Blue
03 B12 S
79 XS400

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
Four gallons a fill up?
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006, 12:15:34 AM »
On a hot summer day, it feels so good to fill the tank and have that coolness radiate everywhere the tank touches...aah, cooling gas tank.

As to the question at hand, in commuting, I general fill up when the bars start flashing...when daytripping, I generally go about 150 and then fill, since I may not know where the next stop will be, and it gives reason to stop and stretch my legs and rehydrate.
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline zaphoid42

• TURBO TYPER!
Four gallons a fill up?
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2006, 07:18:47 PM »
I have read that the 10% ethanol from the pump is like adding a can of dry gas.  That should take care of water.

No one has written in and said they needed to adjust the gas gauge float level.  This supprises me.

cb400bill has written that he does use the gauge and does take on near 4 gallons. Thanks.

I guess I will have to test one of my old habits.  Keep on riding after hitting two bars.  See how far I can go.  Then see how much it takes to top off the tank.  If I make it to 180 miles I will stop for fuel.  No need to be overly stupid about the whole thing. :banghead:
2002 GSF6

Offline Banditmaster

• New user!
    • http://groups.msn.com/MidsouthBanditRiders/_whatsnew.msnw
Four gallons a fill up?
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2006, 09:31:54 AM »
You need to clean your tank and the petcock , because you are picking up water or you have not used it enough and it is stopped up!!

I almost never get less than 4.5 Gal. of gas for my B12 and have ran it as low as .2   it took 4.8 Gals to fill it !

Most of the time I'll just ride to I feel a little miss and reach down and flip it to R. unless I'm on some thight twisties then I'll go ahead and switch it , don't want to run out of Gas at hard lean!!!
1997 Bandit 1200 100k + and running strong

Offline bassguytom

• TURBO TYPER!
Four gallons a fill up?
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2006, 04:02:18 PM »
I have an 02 B6s...I normally ride it down to one bar with the fuel warning flashing...and it usually takes about 4 gallons.  And, even then, I can ride for a while (15 miles?) on 1 bar before switching to reserve.

If it were me, I'd ride it until you have to switch to reserve, just to see...I think you may have HAD a clogged petcock intake...I'd bet it's gone.  And, I'd say it will go past the 2 bars stage.   :wink:

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
Four gallons a fill up?
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2006, 09:18:38 PM »
I've got an '02B12, on long trips at highway speeds I can get around 300km before hitting reserve.  Round town that comes down to 200km, and when I'm 'playing' I can get 250km.

On trips with the club I fill up when the other do, whether I need to or not.  When I'm by myself or with 1 or 2 others then I fill up as soon as I can when 1 bar is left.

Round town I wait until I hit reserve.
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline jeffw

• Board Homesteader!
Four gallons a fill up?
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2006, 05:56:12 AM »
I get to about 165 miles before reserve, still showing two bars.  When I filled, at 177 miles, it took 3.8 gallons.  ('05 1200S)  After testing it multiple times,  I switched the tank to the reserve position, full time, and fill when I get to 1 or 2 bars, or sooner if I know I won't be going near my normal station later.  Routinely fill at about 180 miles (reset each fill), and pull roughly 43 MPG.
05 GSF1200S HS risers, HS stage 1, HS Exhaust HS Backrest, Ventura Rack, Corbin Seat, Renntec Crash Bars, DDM HID 'Busa Shock, Racetech Fork Springs, Cogent Dynamics Fork Valves, Alaska Leather Seat Pad, Stebel Nautilus, Blue Sea Fuse Block, Gerbing Heated Liner
=^..^=