Author Topic: Gauge Cluster problems  (Read 4300 times)

Offline James Con

• New user!
Gauge Cluster problems
« on: March 24, 2009, 02:21:08 AM »
Hey all, Just saying hi before I pick your brains. I have a 2000 bandit 600 with 4800 miles. Does anyone know if there are any known issues with the gauge cluster. The problem,  At the turn of the key the tach and spedo use to jump like normal, all of a sudden it doesn't do it, along with no blinks, no oil light, no Neutral light and the odometer doesn't register at all. the only one that lights up is the brights. I did the continuity test as stated in the shop manual and it fails. I just find it hard to believe that the whole cluster is bad. I took the cluster apart to see if there were any visual signs of damage, As far as I can see there are no burnt components on the boards or smell of something that burnt. Doesn't say much without testing each component but most of the time you can see discoloration on them. No signs of anything. So I guess I am asking if the continuity test they describe in the manual is a reliable test or should I be looking somewhere else for other known problems. One last thing, Out of the blue the gauges jumped like normal twice after turning the key on two separate occasions.

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Gauge Cluster problems
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 03:41:49 AM »
Check the common earth to the cluster, from the pull apart connector to the cluster, all the earths join at one point. Known failure, on the earlier G1's

OH yeh Gday and  :welcome:
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 03:45:42 AM by B6mick »
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.

Offline James Con

• New user!
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 04:01:11 AM »
That would make sense, Do you know where on the bike they all join, It's very hard to read the schematic that I got in pdf format. This sounds strange but I was hoping there was a common problem and not the cluster gone bad. And a Gday to you too.  :thanks:

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 07:15:04 AM »
Ok, find the group of wires, from the cluster to the first pull apart connector. Undo the connector and strip back all the insulating tape back to the cluster, If the wiring is basicly the same as the G1's you will be looking for a Black wire with a white line up the wire. Keep following that wire till ya find all the other black and white wires joining it. If your bike was a G1 I'd put money on thats what and where the problem is. Good luck. Hope this helps.

Offline James Con

• New user!
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 10:58:00 AM »
Excellent, I'm gonna hit the garage now and check it out. Again Thanks, I'll let ya know how it go's   :thanks:

Offline James Con

• New user!
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 12:54:32 AM »
I found the ground junction you spoke of but everything looks and tests out good. The crimp is nice and tight and no corrosion.  :banghead:  I'm at a loss. I did re-check the cluster and it turns out I had my meter on audible continuity check so when I was testing it the first time I wasn't looking at the meter I was just listening for the beep.there was very low continuity at the test pins low enough to not set the meters beep mode off but there was a reading, So it turns out that everything on the cluster tests out good except the Illumination  pins.Which may be a problem I don't know, I'm gonna see if I can get a used cluster from a boneyard or somewhere and try it. Before I start ripping harness's open. Unless there is something else I can check??   :banghead:

Offline James Con

• New user!
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 05:17:06 AM »
Found the problem, A mouse chewed through fuse #4's wire. So the lights working intermitently on two occasions was due to the wire not making full contact. I found it right next to the fuse box, Orange with green tracer. Apparently fuse four ( signal) feeds the lights for the cluster. Thanks for the help B6mick :beers:

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 07:39:34 AM »
No problem bloke, but those mices, ya gotta hate them to pieces.
Glad to hear ya problems are sorted.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 07:43:36 AM by B6mick »

Offline H2RICK

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 11:00:45 PM »
DEATH TO RODENTS !!! Those little bastards cause more grief.....Grrrr
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is terminal.
2006 B12S (my new LD road ride)
1976 Suzuki GT550A Mint/Stock w/5K original miles
1978 Kawasaki KZ650C2 Mint/Stock w/2K original miles
1973 Kawi H2A Semi-hot rod
Various other projects in the wings

Offline gyrogearcrunch

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 12:57:13 AM »
No problem bloke, but those mices, ya gotta hate them to pieces.
Glad to hear ya problems are sorted.

Ooh! Bad little blokes, they are that! Colonized me exhaust pipes over the cold months, they did! Saw a good solution - used coffee can plastic lids clapped over the exhaust cans to keep 'em at bay, I did!

Wires with chewed insulation? Well, Meeses hate moth-balls, they do. Put a few at strategic locations, you should. Traps with peanut butter also work wonders. Good hunting!