Author Topic: Buying a 01 Bandit 1200S Satuday  (Read 4592 times)

Offline DaddyO

• New user!
Buying a 01 Bandit 1200S Satuday
« on: July 26, 2005, 10:30:32 PM »
What's up.  I'm getting a 01 Bandit 1200S this weekend.  Stock with a higher windscreen, and a Givi box.  2nd owner 11500 miles.  Paying 3500.  Seems like a great deal, and the owner promised it does not use any oil.  

I'm coming off a 00 Kawasaki ZR-7, the bike before that was a ST1100.

I just wonder how you guys feel about the deal, and should I worry about oil consumption showing up later?  Did ALL 01-02's burn oil, or just a small % of them.  

I've been reading arould and like always, forums are the best place to go for info.

The bike is mostly stock and cherry.  Are there any mods that I must do right away.  

Thanks guys...

Offline naf02b12

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 02:25:01 AM »
Mine burns a bit of oil, but not bad.  It was worse when I first bought it new and since then has been better.  I do find that I need to carry an extra quart with me on long trips though.

My bike is mostly stock, but I can't wait for handlebar risers and I've heard from others that changing the suspension makes the bike totally different to ride and much better!  I've had fun with my mostly stock bike on all roads though, and on the track.

Hope you hear from some other folks too!

Nerissa F.
'02 1200S
Nerissa F.
used to have 2002 1200S - blue  :-(

Offline DaddyO

• New user!
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 05:51:36 PM »
Is this the most active Bandit forum.  Are there anymore I should check out?

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 07:48:23 PM »
There are a couple more 'Bandit' forums.  'Bandits 'r' US', and Maximum Suzuki has some Bandit content.
  Of course, I'm prejudiced towards this one, but a lot of riders check all of them, and belong to more than one.

I'm guessing that if it isn't using oil now, it isn't going to.
  There is a range of affected VIN numbers you can check.
   If it's not an oil burner, the price is decent.

What modifications you want to perform first depends on how you ride.
  Excluding performance stuff, a lot of people go after comfort stuff first.....and suspension, if you ride somewhat aggresively.
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline terrebandit

• Board Homesteader!
    • Daves Bandit Group
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 09:46:10 PM »
Most of them (2001/2002 models) burn some amount of oil because these year models have overdrilled drain holes in the pistons.  Mine burned about 0.75 quarts in 3K miles but others have reported much worse consumption.  For comparision purposes, my 2000 model burns NO oil.

Here is a survey that I did on this issue several years ago.

http://groups.msn.com/DavesBanditHomePage/20012002banditsurvey.msnw

Dave
My Bandit(s) -click here  >={{{*>
2000 B12S "Good Ole Bob"
____ o7o____o7o ___Ride Safe!

Offline NHBubba

• Board Regular!
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005, 06:15:02 PM »
I dunno man.. I'd be leary of any Bandit from the oil burning era!

My '01 burnt over a quart between changes after break in. It smoked rather badly, especially on a cold start.

Sadly I did not learn that this was a B12 epidemic until after I was out of warranty. Fortunately I had a dealer that supposedly convinced Suzuki USA to change my pistons and rings even though I was out of warranty. They had the bike for several weeks and claimed they did the work.. but she still burned! (For several reasons, I grew skeptic  that the dealer even performed the work!) I was so pissed I wrote a letter to Suzuki USA. They claimed the dealer did the work as promised out of the goodness of their harts (Suzi USA & dealer) and as far as they were concerned the case was closed thank you very much!

Said dealer burned me a few other ways too w/ excessive charges and poor service. So part of my opinion about these bikes stems from that. But I wouldn't go near one if I had the choice.

Since that whole ordeal I've put a buncha miles on the bike, always carying a quart in my tank bag. I've learned to live w/ it and the burning has diminished. Now I'm at ~12k miles and am probably burning less than 1/2 quart between changes. Overall I like the bike and will continue to ride it. But knowing what I know now I would NOT have bought it. There are better choices out there than an '01/'02 B12..

You say you are coming off a Kawi ZR-7?! Why? Truth be told I often wish I had bought that bike instead. I had a lead on a used '00 model (before they went to lotsa plastic-'01+). But there was a serious buyer ahead of me and I just couldn't wait. I often regret not being a bit more patient on that one.
2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200 - Red, Fast, Fun..
National Cycle F-16 Tour shield, otherwise stock

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2005, 07:00:46 PM »
Mine doesn't burn any.  I read somewhere official (bike mag or something) that only about 20% had the problem.  The other 80% of Bandits were fine.  The odds are in your favor. :grin:

Offline bmad

• New user!
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2005, 01:17:09 AM »
Even if you did burn say a quart of oil between changes ,  would that necessarily shorten the life of the engine?

Offline DaddyO

• New user!
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2005, 08:01:47 AM »
My 00 ZR-7 (for sale btw) Burns about .5 qts in 3000 miles.  Some is normal in some engines.  I'm going to accept it may burn a little.   For $3500, there is not a better deal around.

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2005, 08:32:52 AM »
The bike manufacturers will claim a quart between oil changes is 'normal'. This was what Suzuki initially kept telling buyers of the 2001 oil burners
  I don't think it's acceptable on a non-leaking, newish bike.
  An aging bike.......with lots of miles.....yeah.

Daddy), if you haven't bought the bike, yet, maybe you can get the owner to offer some sort of guaranty that the bike doesn't use oil.
 (in writing......)
 It could have a limited duration, maybe a month....a couple of thousand miles...with some sort of remedy to get most of your money back, minus some fee for whatever miles you put on the bike, and if you return it in original condition.
 :motorsmile:

Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2005, 07:00:22 PM »
Quote from: "bmad"
Even if you did burn say a quart of oil between changes ,  would that necessarily shorten the life of the engine?

As long as you stay on top of it and never let the oil level get too low, the only issue to longevity will be you'll need to change the spark plugs more often.

The 20% figure seems pretty accurate based on posts of owners in the effected range - and IIRC, Dave's survey.

ALL '01's are in the effected range and the "get better" VIN is about in the mid run of '02 models.

My '01 consumes a small amount, but nothing I consider out of the ordinary for an air or air/oil cooled engine. I service the oil to the MAX line at oil change time and it's at the MIN line 3000 miles later. That's ~4 oz.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)