Author Topic: Help I cant be seen!  (Read 3450 times)

Offline hyperbit

• Board Regular!
Help I cant be seen!
« on: October 20, 2005, 05:05:50 AM »
Got to my Bandit last night to ride home in the dark, and found the tail light wouldnt operate!

I get brake lights ok, so the bulb must be fine, checked the fuses and they seem fine. I get front headlight and main beam, but no tail light for riding!

I cant ride everywhere with the brake on, it will get expensive on pads.

Anything I should check?

Its a Bandit 600

Thanks in advance

John

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
Help I cant be seen!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 05:50:06 AM »
If it's an older Bandit model, the tail-light bulb is a dual filament type that has both brake, and tail-light functions.
 One filament can break, or burn out, leaving the other still working.
 I'd replace the bulb, anyway.
  If that doesn't work....the socket could be a little corroded, or dirty, or bunged up.
  The bulbs are pretty cheap, so it makes sense to carry a spare.
   Try a new bulb, if that doesn't do it, try cleaning the socket with some WD40, or contact cleaner.   You can also wiggle the bulb a bit to see if the sockets a bit worn.  
 Chances are, just a new bulb will do it, and/or a little cleaning.
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline hyperbit

• Board Regular!
Help I cant be seen!
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 06:04:37 AM »
It is an older Bandit (1998), I'll replace bulb anyway and grab a spare while Im at it. The chances of the socket being dirty or bunged up is very low as the previous owner never saw a drop of rain or a dirty road. I'll check to be on the safe side

Thanks for the quick response  :thanks:

Offline hyperbit

• Board Regular!
Help I cant be seen!
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 09:41:55 AM »
Well, you live and learn. Thanks PeteSC!

Im carefully considering getting ultra bright LED's (if the brake light makes it brighter) for  life long luminence

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
Help I cant be seen!
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 10:18:37 AM »
I've got a '99 12 with the same tail light setup.
  I've tried an LED bulb, but it was less than 'satisfying'.
  The Brake light function wasn't bright enough to be real noticeable...the difference in brightness between just the tail-light, and the brake light wasn't real obvious.
  You can't really tell when you're riding the bike, or when you check it...since you're watching for the change in brightness as you hit the brakes, but other riders following me complained.
  Some LED bulbs are different, just don't pop one in, and forget about it.
 :motorsmile:
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline hyperbit

• Board Regular!
Help I cant be seen!
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 10:46:28 AM »
Having just looked at the wiring (briefly), it seems I can "mod" my own tail light and brake light setup with two sets of LED's, each having a different luminence. I could be barking up the wrong tree, but I will have a play with LED's at some point and get back to you.

cheers

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
bulb
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2005, 02:31:28 PM »
I would try the new bulb first.  The dual filament bulb is an 1157 which you can pick up at auto parts stores cheap. When you have the tail light apart, clean the housing good to get all the dirt and grime out.  This should brighten things for you.  If you still worry about being seen in the dark, I've seen a lot of bike commuters wear those vests with the flourescent reflective stripes on them.  They really stand out.

Offline broncbob

• Board Homesteader!
Help I cant be seen!
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 11:19:26 PM »
i have just put in a led set up that has the turn signals ingreated, it is a board loaded with leds. i am happy with the bightness of it, i haven't hooked up the signals yet,they are for a soon to come tail bob. i allso installed a clear lens at the same time.
i'm to young to go that slow!