Author Topic: Help the newb please :)  (Read 3351 times)

Offline MazdaRx

• TURBO TYPER!
Help the newb please :)
« on: May 31, 2008, 12:20:51 AM »
Hello.  I am new to the forum and new to motorcycles though i loved them as a kid and my brother owned quite a few.  I am 32 yo and have spent most of my mechanical skills working on rotary engines.  So i know a bit about engines, just the wrong type. haha.  Anyway...  I just purchased my first bike, a 2001 bandit 600s , but it came with no owners manual.  It just had the carbs cleaned, oil changed and chain adjusted/tightened.  It seems to be in great shape but i do have a few questions.

1.  I had a friend tell me i might want to adjust the suspension since i am a larger frame (6'5" and 250 lbs) so i don't wear the tires uneven?  he said the owners manual should have a load chart that co-insides with the weight of the rider?? Does this sound right or is it nothing to really worry about?

2.  I was told it was bad to run the bike at lower rpm's (it has 4700 miles on it btw) because it could glaze the componants?  Since i am learning on this bike and using it as a commuter i planned on keeping the rpm's at around 4k to conserve on gas but i don't want to risk damaging the engine either.  I know the rotary engine thrives off of the high rpm's so i understand some engines run better this way but was not sure if our bikes use the same principle?

3.  any other advice to keep my bike in great condition mechanically would be helpful.  I have been told by a few people that its a great bike and in great shape but any other info is greatly appreciated.  I downloaded the shop manual for the bike but i wish i could find a owners manual for care of the bike. 

Thanks again everyone.

Cheers !!!

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Help the newb please :)
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 07:20:01 AM »
accelerate using some revs but commuting at a steady 4000 wont harm your bike.

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 11:00:41 PM »
Some random thoughts....

1) The stock suspension is one of the weaker points... at your specs you'll probably want to up the shock's pre-load to at least position 4 or 5 (out of 7 I believe).  Here's a great link about suspension setting regardless of your bike type or suspension components...  http://www.racetech.com/articles/SuspensionAndSprings.htm

I'm not familiar with the "wear the tires uneven" part.....

2) Low rpm's on the Bandit would probably be under 3,000.... or less depending on throttle management.  The big no-no is lugging the engine.  Cruising at 4k is just fine.

3) Keep the oil changed regularly... you'll be do for a valve adjustment/check by winter time depending on how much you ride especially if it's never been done. Other than that, just ride it and have fun.

Post up some pics when you can and  :congrats: plus  :welcome:
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 12:18:18 PM »
Hey Mazdarx

Tex has it right here...

The stock suspension is pretty soft. For your size and weight I would increase the rear to the max preload, and also change the rebound adjuster to max (4).

For the front, you can add some spacers to the top of the fork springs to increase the preload, but the springs are really too soft stock, even for a 180 lb rider. Best option is to change to progressive or racetech springs.

The valve clearances should have been checked at 500/1000 miles, but if your not sure, then check the clearances. Then they are usually pretty stable until20-30,000 miles.

If you do a search on "suspension" you'll find a bunch of comments about how guys have set their bikes up.

You can consider increasing the tire pressures. Suzuki recommends some pretty low numbers (36 rear 32 front). I tend to increase slightly when I have my hard bags on, and full, for a long trip. Something like 38/40 rear, 36 front.

Otherwise, keep an eye on the air filter, change the oil regularly, and get out and ride. I just passed 33,000 miles (53000 km) and my bike runs like a top. I usually ride it in the 5-7000 rpm range for touring, but I also frenquently run it from 8-11,000 when playing in the corners, and it also runs fine at 3000 rpm (but makes no power).
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline MazdaRx

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 03:09:58 PM »
Thanks for all the info guys :)  I am taking it in to the local mechanic to have him inspect it and i will have him adjust the suspension to max load untill i can afford a nicer set of springs.  I love the bike though. i have been riding it as much as possible (weather permitting) and its a comfortable ride for the most part. 

Offline Barbarian

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.straightdope.com
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 08:15:06 PM »
You should be able to adjust the suspension yourself in all of 5 minutes. It's real easy, and should probably be done in increments (first one end, test ride, then the other end, test ride) so you can understand what's happening.

Don't worry about the RPMs, because the fuel efficiency of the bike is way way better than any car you've ever driven, even if you're thrashing it.
2006 650 Bandit S w/ABS

Offline MazdaRx

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 10:53:30 PM »
Thanks.  I downloaded the shop manual for the bike but it doesn't really go into detail how to adjust the suspension.  I assume i twist the top of it while its on the bike stand?  Is the front adjustable also or just the rear? 

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 10:29:11 AM »
On the B6, the front is not adjustable.
You're on the right track for adjusting the rear shock though.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 12:12:55 PM »
how to adjust the suspension

There is a shock spring spanner in the tool bag. Yup...just hook it on the rear shock collar and twist it to a higher setting on the ramp...there are 7 I believe. Remember you want to turn it so that it INCREASES the preload on the spring.

To add preload to the front, you will have to remove the fork caps and I would suggest adding about 1" of PVC or ABS pipe.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline MazdaRx

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2008, 09:26:00 AM »
Thanks for all the info.  I belive I did it correctly.  I turned the preload to the number 6 out of 7.  i assume the higher the number the stiffer the preload?  I did the ol righty tighty and it seams correct.  it actually takes corners nicer... that or i am getting use to the bike and just doing better myself :)