Author Topic: Holeshot stage 1 tuning help please  (Read 4489 times)

Offline andrewclaycomb

• New user!
Holeshot stage 1 tuning help please
« on: May 16, 2008, 05:53:22 PM »
The bike is a 97 Bandit 1200

Here's the bikes story. When I got it it ran ok. I rode on memorial ride consisting of a couple hundred sport bikes (very fast! often above 100 mph) it kept up fine. When I would snap the throttle really quick the bike would bog and sound like it was only running on 2 or 3 cylinders. If I eased on the throttle it would be a little shaky in the lower RPMs (under 3k) and then super smooth above that but it didn't sound like bogging and all cylinders sounded like they were running. Also in the higher gears I didn't notice it at all no matter what the rpm.

So I decide to do something about it before I go to Deal's Gap next week, and I install a Holeshot stage 1 jet kit.  I know it's supposed to be used with at least a slip on exhaust but I asked Mr. Walker and he said it would be fine with the stock exhaust, but I would need to tune a little more.

Alright, so everything is in and I start the bike on choke. First thing I notice is it takes very little choke to start which is how it is supposed to be per the Holeshot website. But keeping it running is rough while it's on choke. That may be because the choke is so much more sensitive to adjustment than it was before. Once it is warm enough to be off choke, it holds idle great at 1400 rpm (which is where a member on another bandit site told me the Bandit should be at). Also when snapping the throttle it sounds like it might hesitate/bog for a split second but then it responds really well. I've always thought this was normal carb thing but if it's a problem someone tell me. The big problem is now it is smoking a light white smoke.

I'm On the needle clip on the 2nd ring from the top and I have the fuel screws turned out 3 full turns. Where do I start?

I know that was a lot to read but thanks in advance and I really appreciate it.
 I really want to make this trip.

Offline JamieK

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Holeshot stage 1 tuning help please
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 12:38:56 AM »
Email Dale Walker...he stands behind his products and can get you setup right quick  :bigok: dlwalker@holeshot.com
Jamie K in Edmonton<br />06 B12S, Full Muzzy, Stage 1 jets, Timing Advancer

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 01:09:06 AM »
Me personally, I wouldn't have installed a jet kit with a stock exhaust.  To me, it sound like your plugs may have gone bad.  I've had this happen to me a few times and your symptoms while riding sound familiar.  At the same time, I would contact Dale as well.
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline andrewclaycomb

• New user!
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 12:14:55 PM »
He isn't available on Friday or during the weekend.

I put in fresh plugs right before tuning and they still look clean.

I started turning the fuel screws in and the the smoke went away but I started running lean (surging, backfiring sounds in the airbox) Well I'm back at 3 turns out now and it isn't smoking at all. I don't really know what happened there. There is an extra washer on each needle that I forgot about. I have a slight lean hang but I think turning the fuel screws out 1/4 turn or more should take care of that. If I go too rich then I should drop the extra washer and go one position lower on the needle (to position 3 from the top.) and then start turning the fuel screws back in 1/4 turn at a time.

This sound like sound reasoning to you guys?

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 12:03:10 AM »
It sounds like to me your a little lean on the mid range(heavy hesitation) I would richen up the mid range with another shim or two if you have it. It will also smooth out cruse throttle response as well. Are you in a time constrant? You say you need to only use a little choke to start. You may be trying to compensate for a lean midrange by using the pilot mixture screws. It sort of works, but you would get some wonky fuel mapping like I did when I had to do it. Try a shim or two and put the mixture settings back to what Dale recommends.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 12:05:22 AM by rider123 »
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.

Offline andrewclaycomb

• New user!
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 02:57:03 AM »
It turns out it was the other way. The map was far too rich with the #35 pilots. I decided to go back to stock until a can get a slip on. Then the kit will go back on. Below in the tech forum I have my post where I'm having a problem getting it tuned to stock settings. If you know where the pilot screws are stock please let me know

Offline Dave 02 1200

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 05:55:54 PM »
Andy,

I ran my B12 with stock exhaust and a HS Stage 1 kit with great success.

107.5 mains, stock pilots, mixture screw out 3.75 turns, hole in air box, cut springs, 5 degree advancer, and 4 shims under the needles.

I am at 11 feet above sea level.

Try it with stock pilot jets.  It will run great with stock exhaust.

Good luck,

Dave
Busa Shock
HS Stage 1 Jet Kit
Superbike Bars with Bar End Mirrors
Kriss Headlight Modulator