Author Topic: ignition advancers  (Read 4509 times)

Offline alhuggy

• Board Regular!
ignition advancers
« on: May 21, 2006, 01:17:35 PM »
are advancers worth it, if so do I go for the 3 degree or the 5 degree advancer?

my bike has a flat spot at 2 thou rpm and the the carbs have been balanced and plugs are the right colour. ( so I`m told are set up right ) I have a dyno jet stage one with K & N filter and micron exhaust. my mate swears by his but which one would be better? :clubme:
alhuggy

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
advancer
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 02:12:06 PM »
I think for the cost they're well worth it.  Anytime you can get a power increase for $50, thats cheap.  i have a 5 degree on my B6.  I did all my mods at once (jet kit, advancer, exhaust) so I don't know what each one did individually.  It should take out that flat spot a 2k rpm.  Plus, they're real easy to install.

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
ignition advancers
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 02:23:29 PM »
Can you just put them on without any other changes to anything?

Offline alhuggy

• Board Regular!
ignition advancers
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 03:32:10 PM »
I have ordered 5 degree advancer will let you know how it goes :motorsmile:

and yes 5 allen bolts and one on the advancer, total of about 10 minutes to change!!
alhuggy

Offline alhuggy

• Board Regular!
ignition advancers
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 02:16:14 PM »
best £49 pounds I`ve ever spent
pulls brilliantly
ticks over smoother
even better mpg
now getting 40 - 45 mpg
beats zx9r`s from the lights with ease
5 minute fitting time tops!!!
alhuggy

Offline SHREDDER

• Board Homesteader!
ignition advancers
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 06:15:02 AM »
Go with the 5 degree.  It will be so much more responsive.
Ride on!

Offline edge of midnight

• New user!
ignition advancers
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2006, 08:25:03 PM »
Or go for the FP adjustable like mine indexed in 1 deg intevals from -6 to + 6 best of both worlds. Just watch out for pinking (pre ignition) . Advance can be dependant on fuel octane rating as well, the higher the octane valure the less advance required. Running 93 here so using 3 deg.
Edge of Midnight - Midnight MCC Port Elizabeth, South Africa. To infinity & beyond. Loud pipes save lives. 04 B12S custom hirise can & midpipe, derestricted, 1.5" airbox hole jets 27.5, 110, FP TI needles & adj advancer, sbk5 pads, fender mod, sigma 1200

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
ignition advancers
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 01:28:52 PM »
I just popped mine on this morning and there was a definate increase in throttle response. I haven't put the rest of the stage 1 kit in yet I'll wait till the weekend but if it works well on a semi-stock bike it will work even better on a stage 1. I noticed the exhaust smell changed a bit, like it was more of a complete burn less raw fuel smell from the exhaust. Perhaps to meet emisions standards the timing stock may be a little "lazy" and this cleans up the timing a bit?

BTW still using mid grade 89 octane with no detonation even in 35 degree Celcius heat.
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
ignition advancers
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 09:19:17 PM »
All I can say is dig around on the BBS's. There has been Dyno proof that an advancer does nothing for increased HP.  

My brief experiance was that it did nothing except screw up a good idle. So much so, that it was removed from the bike.