Author Topic: Introduction, 3rd Bandit and some questions.  (Read 3373 times)

Offline BanditNM

• Board Regular!
Introduction, 3rd Bandit and some questions.
« on: December 31, 2009, 01:53:42 AM »
Hello everybody, a quick introduction and then a couple of questions....

Been lurking here for years gleaming advice so I figured it was time to join. My name is Chris and I'm in the Albuquerque, New Mexico area. If anybody is out here, feel free to PM me as I'm a 2nd time transplant and am fresh out of local friends. I've been riding bikes since I was 15 so over 20ish years now with probably 50 or 60 thousand miles on 8 different bikes.

In order of purchase, a 1986 Yamaha Reva 50cc scooter, 198? Honda CM400, 198? Kawasaki KZ750, 1993 Suzuki Katana 600, 2001 HD Custom Sportster 1200, 1990 Bandit 400, 1st Gen 2000 Bandit 1200 S, and my new bike a 2nd Gen 2003 Bandit 1200 S.

2 wrecks in 16 years, both times wearing full gear, the CM400 on a Florida draw bridge in the rain (no injuries) and the Katana about 6 years ago. (8 broken bones, 2 pins, one in each wrist.) Can't say enough bad things about the old Katana even though I love Suzuki. Perhaps I was just unlucky. I am superstitious about ever owning another blue bike though lol.

I like the Bandit series of bikes so much I've stuck with them for my last 3 rides. Tuff call between the 400 or 1200 as my favorite. The 400 is like a 60hp scooter and the 1200, well what can you say, power, comfort and cost.

Ok, enough history. I have 2 questions for you guys, many of whom are much better at wrenching bikes than me.

My new Bandit 1200 S is a silver 2003 with only 844 miles. (paid 3200 for it) It doesn't look like it's ever had the oil changed, chain adjusted etc. Never dropped, I checked the VIN. Even the tool kit under the seat doesn't look like it was ever taken out. I'll be doing all the filters, fluids, adjustments over the next 2 months as it's too cold to ride until about March here.

1st question. When I drove her the 5 miles home yesterday it was like riding on a oil slick. The temperature outside was 18F and the tires are original oem which means at about 6 years old, but with only 844 miles on them. Is the reason for the lack of grip the temperature and the fact the tires are have not really been scrubbed in or they are just hard from age? (and they are quite hard) Hate the thought of having to toss perfectly good tires (in appearance) but that's cheaper than a hospital bill.

2nd question. The carbs are acting a bit gunked.  Now, I've messed with a lot on bikes but never have I had to do the carb work myself. I have zero experience with them beside the idle screw. After the ridiculous about of warm up time due to the low temps, and it only got started every few months, I can set the idle screw to 1300 rpms blip the throttle a couple of times and it will idle up or down a couple hundred rpms. It will lightly pop once or twice every 5 to 10 seconds as well, less so while moving. Do you think the old Tecron and Marvel trick will clean it out or am I going to have to brave the big Voodoo of taking off the carbs and learning how to clean and set them? Take it even further at the same time and do like a Stage 1 jet kit? My 1st Bandit 1200 was quite lean, but still ran well with stock jetting and a Yoshi pipe.

Besides this there are no issues that I'm aware of currently, (inside of gas tank looks clean etc) Oh, yes, everything but the blinkers and undertail is still stock. (L.E.D.'s and the tail fender was cut.) Not even a tank pad on it, heh, all the original warning stickers are still plastered all over it too.

I ask because it seems money is always a bit tight (more so every year in this economy) and safety is the priority but I do not wish to spend money where I don't have too. That part of why I love these bikes, cheap and bulletproof to own. I call upon you guys, the experts, for some needed advice please.

93' Katana 600 (wrecked)
90' Bandit 400 (sold)
00' Bandit 1200s (sold)
03' Bandit 1200s (current)

Offline wizzobeer

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Introduction, 3rd Bandit and some questions.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 02:26:54 AM »
1.) I would say get new skins the few hundred bones $$ are not worth the few bones you may break (pun intended) if they fail you. From what I understand tires do "expire" http://www.mylittleportal.com/tire-manufacture-date-aging

2.) The carbs are not bad at all to rip apart, do it once and it almost becomes something to do in the winter when bored but I would try a carb cleaner first for simplicity sake.

Offline BanditNM

• Board Regular!
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 02:38:11 AM »
Thanks for the advice, I was doing the google search today and got mixed opinions on the tires, why I'm asking. But if I'm doubting them I should probably just replace them for piece of mind even though I do not wish to fork out for a nice set.

The carbs I guess I can run a tank full of tecron and marvel and see what happens come March. I'm not even gonna tag it until then, it's just too cold to ride for my (still) thin Florida blood. Guess the worst case scenario is I take a weekend come late March or early April and learn a new skill. Curious about how the carbs work and function but worried I'll seriously screw something up and have to pay big bucks to a pro to set them straight. (I do like to fix stuff myself if I can.)

93' Katana 600 (wrecked)
90' Bandit 400 (sold)
00' Bandit 1200s (sold)

Offline BanditNM

• Board Regular!
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 06:08:14 AM »
Wiz, Everybody, I did some more digging and found this Video from Nov 2009 on Tire age.

It is very sobering and informative. 15 second ad before it starts.

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897

Yeah, I'm replacing them no questions asked after seeing this AND I'm checking the age on my car tires too since I don't drive it that much.

93' Katana 600 (wrecked)
90' Bandit 400 (sold)
00' Bandit 1200s (sold)

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 11:47:09 AM »
 :congrats: on the bike and +1 on new tires. If ever you have any doubts about changing them just remeber those pins in your wrist. :yikes:

Offline BanditNM

• Board Regular!
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 06:29:54 PM »
 :thanks: smooth operator,

Looking at Michelin Pilot Road 2's probably since she will be used mainly as a commuter with weekend light touring duty 8 months of the year. I'm back in school (wow) due to creeping credentialism so this bike has to last for a few years until I'm finished. I.T. ain't what it used to be so I'm moving on.

The pins...

Left wrist, don't even know it's there. Right wrist, yeah, everyday. It took like 2 years to mend up. Cold weather sucks etc. No low bars for me either. The Bandit's riding position is about as sporty as I can get for more than 5 minutes. (5'7" so the reach is big from my point of view.)

What can you do, life happens, just gotta roll with it the best you can.  :thumb:
93' Katana 600 (wrecked)
90' Bandit 400 (sold)
00' Bandit 1200s (sold)

Offline JamieK

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 07:28:08 PM »
Continental Road Attacks are a great commuter tire as well...just sayin'
Jamie K in Edmonton<br />06 B12S, Full Muzzy, Stage 1 jets, Timing Advancer

Offline BanditNM

• Board Regular!
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 08:00:55 PM »
Your right, those do look quite nice based on the reviews I just read. (can't complain about the price either) Found a place online that will ship them free at $266.98. Could hold out for 3 months and keep a eye out for a even lower price since I'm not riding til it's warmer.

Thanks for pointing them out.  :grin: Think I probably just found my new tires.

Edit: Cycle Gear has them for $262.98 w/ free shipping.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 08:04:08 PM by BanditNM »
93' Katana 600 (wrecked)
90' Bandit 400 (sold)
00' Bandit 1200s (sold)

Offline JamieK

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 09:00:36 PM »
I was pleasantly surprised at how well they handle. They have great feel, warm up quickly and have very good grip in wet/dry/cold.
Jamie K in Edmonton<br />06 B12S, Full Muzzy, Stage 1 jets, Timing Advancer