Author Topic: Is It Just Me Or Do The Lo-Beams Suck At Night?  (Read 6804 times)

Offline jbrough7

• Highway Goddess
  • Board Homesteader!
Is It Just Me Or Do The Lo-Beams Suck At Night?
« on: April 29, 2006, 07:31:06 AM »
Just been riding for 1.5 years so have not had a lot of experience at night.  Seems it's really hard to see anything on lo-beam when cages are coming at me- is it the same for everybody or am I just going blind?

Jim

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 08:57:16 AM »
I've read here that the headlights on the B12 are pretty ordinary, but I've never had an issue with them.

Here's a couple of suggestions, in no particular order:

1.  Open your eyes.
2.  Don't use a tinted visor at night.
3.  Take your sunnies of when it gets dark.
4.  If you are also experiencing difficulties in seeing in the daylight , try getting your eyes checked.

:stickpoke:

Seriously, I don't have a problem with the low or high beam on the B12.  However, a trick my dad told me, which is actually quite obvious, DON'T LOOK AT THE HEADLIGHTS FROM ON COMMING VEHICLES, instead direct your eyes towards the (in Australia) left side of the road, so I suppose in your part of the world it would be to the right side of the road...in either case, look away from the light......
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline jbrough7

• Highway Goddess
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 10:15:46 AM »
Yeah, I've read in my 'how-to motorcycle book' that you look at the 'fog-line' on the right side of the road (your left) - I guess my beef is I live in the country so there are dead raccoons every mile or so on the road . When a cage is coming at me, the 100 ft. or so in front of the bike on my side seems pretty black.  I don't think I could see a coon and that would be game over for me!

Jim

Offline dsartwell1

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 10:33:43 AM »
The headlights do suck! Both high and low beam. I use highbeam all the time unless I'm in town where there is extra lighting or right behind a LEO!
Do a search. There are several ways to get better lighting. The best I believe is total replacement.

I haven't tried anything yet but I don't ride at night very often. Definately on the to do list.

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2006, 11:39:00 AM »
The low beams are lousy on my B-12.  (Or should we say low beam, singular?)  I usually leave the high beams on all the time, and cars rarely blink lights at me.

In fact, the only person who really gripes about me using high beams is my riding buddy who complains that they are in his mirrors.  Which makes me think he has his mirrors adjusted wrong.
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline jbrough7

• Highway Goddess
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2006, 01:29:39 PM »
You know those blue lights volvos and bmw's have?  I think they're called xenon?  they would look cool...

Jim

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2006, 01:47:28 PM »
Quote from: "jbrough7"
You know those blue lights volvos and bmw's have?  I think they're called xenon?  they would look cool...

Jim

Especially if you want to blind oncoming traffic!  I'm all for brighter headlights, but let's make sure they are lighting up the road, not looking for aircraft!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2006, 04:01:51 PM »
And here I was hoping the all-new headlights of the 3G bikes would have cured the issue the 2G owners were always complaining about. They look like the same kind of setup the V-Stroms use, and I thought those folks liked their headlights.

Do you know what bulbs your 650 uses? If it uses the same ones as the 2G, you can replace the stock halogen bulbs with HIR bulbs. (See the 2G Headlight thread in the FAQ.)
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Mini4x

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2006, 09:58:43 PM »
Quote from: "Sven"

Jim

Especially if you want to blind oncoming traffic!  I'm all for brighter headlights, but let's make sure they are lighting up the road, not looking for aircraft!

Acutally you are quite wrong, I have projectors on my BMW (car) and they point more light at the road than most.. next step HID's.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006, 11:07:11 AM »
HID (High Intensity Discharge) lights are quite spendy (like $350 or more per bulb) and can be a bit of a challenge on a bike since you have to find somewhere to put the ballast.

OTOH, HIR (Halogen Ifrared Reflective) lights are almost as good as HID's at a small fraction of the price (like ~$30 per bulb) and are barely more difficult to install than stock bulbs. (You have to trim one tab slightly so they'll fit, then it's plug-N-play.) They also don't tax your electrical system any more than the stock bulbs, so you don't have to worry about melting wires or installing relays like you do with high watt standard halogens. Just like any other light, they will output more if you do use a relay setup, but you don't HAVE to, like you would with high watt bulbs.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline jbrough7

• Highway Goddess
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2006, 03:41:51 PM »
How about HUD?  Now that would be cool on a bike!  Has it ever been tried/done??

Jim

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2006, 04:14:28 PM »
You have the new "3rd Gen" style headlights, doncha?

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2006, 04:54:34 PM »
How about HUD?  Now that would be cool on a bike!  Has it ever been tried/done??

Jim

Yes, there's a kit out there that puts a HUD on a faceshield.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline jbrough7

• Highway Goddess
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2006, 06:33:57 PM »
Paulvs:  yeah, I do.

Jim

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2006, 06:58:45 PM »
Quote from: "Mini4x"
Quote from: "Sven"

Jim

Acutally you are quite wrong, I have projectors on my BMW (car) and they point more light at the road than most.. next step HID's.

I don't know about YOUR car, but the ones I meet on the road are irritating enough that I want to smash them with a sledgehammer.