Author Topic: jerry rigged supertrapp  (Read 6950 times)

Offline Boosted-Bandit

• Board Regular!
jerry rigged supertrapp
« on: May 10, 2005, 02:29:12 AM »
Hi guy's, and gals maybe?
I finally got a big bandit after following this bike for years and missing my old FJ some.
I guess the old saying is true; Once you ride a big bore, there's no other bike.
After a stint with a 650 single I am back in the saddle.
Anyhow, my bike is almost broken in, ya it's an 03 and it's not even broken in yet, and I just rigged up an old IDS Supertrapp I had kicking around. I had to make my own midpipe but the inlet is the same size as stock and I think the Trapp is large enough. I ran all the 18 discs I had and it seems to pull better, even in top gear you can lug it now and it pulls strong up to 6000 rpm.
I still need to jet but was worried about buying the Dynojet kit or separate jets.
 My dealers say the kit is the best bet but I want to do right.
I am at sea level and the air is pretty dense untill August, when we get our summer heat, but I figure I can go up 2 on the mains and maybe 1 on the pilot. but I got mids too?
Any thoughts or Ideas?
 Thanx.
03 Bandit, stock for now!

Offline slo coach

• Board Homesteader!
jerry rigged supertrapp
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 06:32:39 AM »
hey boosted..igot a k3 also.i've had a good play with jetting and can take the thing apart in my sleep,and its been good fun but at the end of the day i think the best thing to have done would be to bite the bullet and buy a proper kit even thought they seem expensive but i guess they spent a lot in development costs to give us a good product buy what every body says so i'mm gonna order one soon

CHEERS....slo coach

Offline Boosted-Bandit

• Board Regular!
jerry rigged supertrapp
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 12:06:21 PM »
Ya, I guess I'll get a kit but I'm still not sure if I should cut the air box or not.
To stage 2 or not to stage 2, that is the quetsion. lol

Offline WEINERDOGBONE

• Board Homesteader!
jerry rigged supertrapp
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 06:39:33 PM »
Stage 1 Holeshot, IMHO. I've had mine for over a year and I'm as happy as could be. Ivan's is good as wel I hear.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
jerry rigged supertrapp
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 08:14:13 PM »
You can play with the jets & shims and make improvements, but the real plus with a jet kit such as Holeshot's Stage II (replaces airbox with K&N pods) or Ivan's (keeps airbox, but adds holes to the lid) is improved needles - with adjustable E-clip grooves.

If you're serious about doing your own jetting, click the link below and follow the advice given for 2001-2002 B12's (the '03-'05 is the same).

http://www.banditsrus.com/fastlarry/banditfaq.htm#fuel_system

:btw: Are you in the Vancouver area?
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Boosted-Bandit

• Board Regular!
jerry rigged supertrapp
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 12:47:45 AM »
Thanx guys, I ordered a stage 1 kit today.
Red 01, I'm on the Island.

How the heck do you post a pic anyway?[/img]

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
jerry rigged supertrapp
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 02:46:07 AM »
Quote from: "Boosted-Bandit"
How the heck do you post a pic anyway?[/img]

Read this thread:

http://forums.banditalley.net/viewtopic.php?t=520

The Isle is nice...as is the ferry ride there (except the Black Ball one). I've been Jeepin' in the Sooke area several times.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Dexter

• Board Homesteader!
Jetting and Pipe
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2005, 04:35:53 PM »
I have an 04 1200s and I put the FMF  Titanium Silencer and midpipe...as for a Jet kit I just went from 100 to 130 mains, shimmed the needles up one shim .020...and drilled a 2"hole in the airbox cover, oh and i removed the snorkel....backed the mixture screws out to 3.5 turns and the thing ran great first time.. I was prepped for pulling the carbs few times with trial and error, but was very impressed with its performance first try.. Hope this helps!!... I know it helped mine.. I am just outside Chicago in NW Indiana... man the bike pulls like crazy now... might even be able to keep a little closer to my buddy on his Busa!!  LOL  take it easy!!
why do I have to ride faster than the law allows!!  LOL

Offline slo coach

• Board Homesteader!
jerry rigged supertrapp
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2005, 04:25:16 AM »
Dexter..thats interesting what size mains you put in.after playing with my jets i can sense its flat in the pwr department.does your bike run smooth through the whole rev range from cruising at 3000rpm to redline??is it an obvious power gain you have got??  any flat or lumpy spots anywhere

cheers     slo coach

Offline Dexter

• Board Homesteader!
Jets
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2005, 09:41:34 PM »
I am pretty pleased with the power of my Bandit since the pipe and jet kit... it pulls smoothly all the way thru ..I really think the 130's are the way to go for around here (nw Indiana).. but the FMF pipe flows great and sounds pretty trick too, and the Titanium is light as all get out.. drilled a 2" hole in the airbox cover and removed the stock snorkel as well... hope you get that flat spot fixed... I am just sooo happy mine went right first try... I have Jetted a few machines in my time and have played the "tear it down again" game so many times I hate to think about it... my wifes Marauder took forever to get just right.. but after 4 times of pulling the carbs it finally was right... good luck!!
why do I have to ride faster than the law allows!!  LOL

Offline slo coach

• Board Homesteader!
jerry rigged supertrapp
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2005, 07:21:16 AM »
dexter,where is and what did you do to the snorkel? save me spending all night looking it up

thanks.....SLO COACH

Offline Boosted-Bandit

• Board Regular!
jerry rigged supertrapp
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2005, 12:00:37 PM »
The snorkel is that rubber inlet thing at the end of the airbox.
If you remove it you end up with a larger hole.

Offline slo coach

• Board Homesteader!
jerry rigged supertrapp
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2005, 09:21:00 AM »
found it   thanks....

slo

Offline slo coach

• Board Homesteader!
jerry rigged supertrapp
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2005, 09:34:59 AM »
hey bexter...when you say good for Indiana.??is that relative to temp or height or the types of roads? as i'm not familar with the area.
slo        :thanks:

Offline Boosted-Bandit

• Board Regular!
jerry rigged supertrapp
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2005, 03:06:45 PM »
Temperature and elevation affect fuel ratio. not style of riding or roads