Author Topic: Jetting for Slip on  (Read 6675 times)

Offline mattydefran

• TURBO TYPER!
Jetting for Slip on
« on: September 13, 2005, 06:59:50 PM »
Hi Everyone I am new to the list. I bought a 2004 1200s as a leftover back in may of this year.

I'll get to my ?  I Just purchased a pretty beat up used Micron Pipe from ebay. I know that I should rejet and I know how important it is not to run the bike in a LEAN condition. It is getting late in the season though and I don't see myself having the time to rejet before I have to put her away for VT's bad winter. Can I just run the pipe without rejetting. How bad is it for the bike really? Is there anything I can do to prevent damage like keeping the RPM's down or anything. Forgive me I am not all that savvy yet. I ordered the Haynes manual the same day I bought the pipe  :wink:  

I could of course I could just wait and put the pipe on and rejet next season, but what fun is that  :crybaby:
Wish in one hand, crap in the other, and see which one fills up first

2004 Bandit 1200S
1980 GS850L (Project)
1997 RM 250
1985 Madura 1200 (Scored a Freebie)

Offline Vee Dub Nut

• Board Homesteader!
Jetting for Slip on
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 07:28:21 PM »
your bike will most likely not run very well, especially since your up where the air is cooler. Personally I would hold off until you can get the carbs matched up, otherwise i dont really think you will be that happy.
Adam in College Station Texas

1996 Bandit 750s - SOLD!
1998 Bandit 1200s - SOLD!
2000 VW GTi GLX
1967 VW Beetle* slight modifictations

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
Jetting for Slip on
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 08:48:28 PM »
I'll disagree.  You'll probably not notice any problems with a new pipe and no jetting changes.  In fact, you might notice a slight performance increase with the slip on alone.

I had my Yosh RS-1 race slip on for several months before I re-jetted and I had no problem whatsoever.  I did notice a little more power in fact.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Jetting for Slip on
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 05:00:34 AM »
Like Paul, I ran mine with a slip-on for a little while until I could get a jet kit. You will make it a little leaner than it already is, so it may be a little more cold-blooded.

What you can do while you wait for the jet kit kit is shim the needles up with 1 or 2 #8 washers. (I went with just one.)  Just be sure the washers you buy nest all the way down in the bottom of the slides or they'll end up WAY too high. Seems some washer vendors make their #8 washers with a larger OD than others. Used to be Radio Shack was the preferred source, but a couple of years ago, their #8 washers got a bigger OD and don't fit well anymore. Maybe they've changed back, I don't know. I recommend taking a slide and needle with you when you go shopping for washers.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline mattydefran

• TURBO TYPER!
Jetting for Slip on
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 11:15:13 AM »
Thanks guys I really appreciate your input. I am just going to put it on and see how it runs. If it runs really bad then I will just put the stocker back on for the rest of the season we probably only have like another months worth of good days up here in Good old New England. I got the pipe from ebay for $50 shipped it is pretty banged up, but I just wanted some noise to see if I would like it. I plan on buying a nice pipe next year does anyone know if scorpion offers a pipe for the 04 Bandit since I don't have the 3 bolt connection...

:thanks:

2004 Bandit 1200S
1980 GS850L (Project)
1997 RM 250

Offline ratbike05

• Board Homesteader!
Jetting for Slip on
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 03:47:51 PM »
I just got a D&D can for mine on Ebay.  Put that baby on and the bike runs great.  I will get it jetted before next season starts but for now I am really happy with it.  About the slip on, I just saw on Ebay yesterday a coversion peice that clamps onto the slip on pipe and converts it to a bolt on.
Wait for me!!

Jim

97 Bandit 600

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
Jetting for Slip on
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2005, 04:25:05 PM »
Quote from: "Red01"
What you can do while you wait for the jet kit kit is shim the needles up with 1 or 2 #8 washers. (I went with just one.)  Just be sure the washers you buy nest all the way down in the bottom of the slides or they'll end up WAY too high. Seems some washer vendors make their #8 washers with a larger OD than others. Used to be Radio Shack was the preferred source, but a couple of years ago, their #8 washers got a bigger OD and don't fit well anymore. Maybe they've changed back, I don't know. I recommend taking a slide and needle with you when you go shopping for washers.

+1 on the "poor man's jet kit".  Also, you can drill out the A/F screw caps on the bottom of the carbs and turn them out to about 3.5 turns.  

If you have the right tools... you can do BOTH these things without even removing the carbs.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Jetting for Slip on
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 08:14:13 AM »
Drilling the caps off the screws would be a PIA even with the right tools. It would take a small 90* drill to get in there, especially on #4. You'd have a tough time seeing what you're doing.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline fartndust

• Board Homesteader!
Jetting for Slip on
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2005, 10:15:41 PM »
A poor man's jet kit is the choke on an ATV...you have 3 positions that the choke will lock into that allows you to "find" your jetting needs.  After it's warm, if it runs crappy and improves when you pull out the choke, obviously you need to jet up.  Popping on deceleration is a dead give away as well.  I'm guessing you could do the same on the Bandit...leave the choke on slightly to correct for a lean conditon.  It's not something you want to use forever, but it will get you by for a few months (you cheap tight ass!! :stickpoke: ) :wink:
I was drinking at the time...so ya, I mighta said that.
IT'S ONLY FUNNY TILL SOMEONE LOSES AN EYE...Then hey! There's a free eye out there!
'02 Bandit 1200S  Me
'04 YFZ450  Me
'03 LTZ400 Wifey
'02 YFS200 Son
'04 Viper 90 Honeybun

Offline mattydefran

• TURBO TYPER!
Jetting for Slip on
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2005, 09:21:44 AM »
Its not a matter of being cheap its a matter of working 60 + hours a week and not having the time to put the damn thing in before winter thanks for the tip anyway.  :taz:

2004 Bandit 1200S
1980 GS850L (Project)
1997 RM 250

Offline DaveG

• Board Homesteader!
Jetting for Slip on
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2005, 10:10:41 AM »
i chose to drill a hole in the side of the casting just above the plug then popped them out
just be carefull not to drill too far up
if you consider this to be damaging to the carbs, then take them off and drill the plugs directly.
I was too lazy to do this any my way took about 5 minutes.

Offline fartndust

• Board Homesteader!
Jetting for Slip on
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2005, 03:02:54 PM »
I was just rib'n ya about being cheap :wink: I was looking for an excuse to use these to emo's   :stickpoke:  :banana:
IT'S ONLY FUNNY TILL SOMEONE LOSES AN EYE...Then hey! There's a free eye out there!
'02 Bandit 1200S  Me
'04 YFZ450  Me
'03 LTZ400 Wifey
'02 YFS200 Son
'04 Viper 90 Honeybun

Offline suzbnd12

• TURBO TYPER!
Jetting for Slip on
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2005, 04:38:59 PM »
Quote from: "mattydefran"
Thanks guys I really appreciate your input. I am just going to put it on and see how it runs. If it runs really bad then I will just put the stocker back on for the rest of the season we probably only have like another months worth of good days up here in Good old New England. I got the pipe from ebay for $50 shipped it is pretty banged up, but I just wanted some noise to see if I would like it. I plan on buying a nice pipe next year does anyone know if scorpion offers a pipe for the 04 Bandit since I don't have the 3 bolt connection...

:thanks:

I ordered a Scorpion for my '05 Bandit and it did not come with a mid pipe which is what is needed if you don't have the 3 bolt connection on the muffler can. I sent the Scorpion back and went with a Yosh RS-3 and love the sound.

Bill
Bill
'05 B12S
Damn the psychiatrists, Ride a motorcycle!!!!!

Offline fartndust

• Board Homesteader!
Jetting for Slip on
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2005, 07:47:21 PM »
By the way mattydefran, I have the Micron and I really enjoy the sound.  I think you'll like it as well.  Deep tone, but not too loud.  Sounds great when I choose to get on the throttle hard, but mellow enough to not draw much attention going thru town. And it's OH SO SHINEY!  I love shiney stuff :motorsmile:
'02 Bandit 1200S  Me
'04 YFZ450  Me
'03 LTZ400 Wifey
'02 YFS200 Son
'04 Viper 90 Honeybun

Offline mattydefran

• TURBO TYPER!
Jetting for Slip on
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2005, 08:59:18 PM »
Hey Guys, Got that beat up Micron in the mail today. It was in really rough shape. I was able to take it apart and fix it up its not perfect but well worth the $50 I paid.

Anyway the pipe sounds awesome. Barks more than I thought it would and it definately Bites a little more than I planned for. I took it out for a short ride around 6:30pm. As soon as the bike warmed up, all I can say is DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :banana:  I used to have to work the rpm's just perfect to get the front end up. Roll on, let off, then wack it hard again, but I have to say after the pipe just rolling on it in 1st and I was vertical. I will be making the call TO Ivan's very soon though because like you all said she definatley isn't running like she should and I noticed the popping on deceleration.

MY NEIGHBORS HATE ME ALREADY AND ITS ONLY BEEN ONE NIGHT

Couldn't wipe the smile off of my face with a sledge hammer.

Thanks again guys for all your help

2004 Bandit 1200S
1980 GS850L (Project)
1997 RM 250