Author Topic: KEEP YOUR AIR FILTER FRESH  (Read 2322 times)

Offline China Greg

• Board Homesteader!
  • Tighten it 'til it Loosens then back-off 1/4 turn
KEEP YOUR AIR FILTER FRESH
« on: November 05, 2009, 01:37:43 AM »
Some years ago I took my B12 with standard Ivan mods, out to New Mexico, from New York.

As I went through the center of the country and into Kansas, the bike started running a little notchy, sort of missing at low throttle opening. I checked the air filter... LOOKED clean enough.... then subsequently took the carbs off at a motel near Colorado... they looked pretty clean.

Took them off AGAIN into the mountains, this time to move the needles a notch.. maybe the thin air ??

Nope. Into Santa Fe in  the middle of a nightime, frightening thunder storm, and in the morning the bike would hardly start. Belched out some black smoke. I limped it over to the local Zook dealer, who had no idea and suggested I needed heavy motor work. I gritted my teeth and took the bike north.

Finally, around northern Colorado, I swapped the air filter for a new one, even though the old one just didn't appear DIRTY, just a little GRAY.

BAM! The bike suddenly ran like a raped-ape...... and the rest of the trrip was a smooth gas.

Change your air filter!!
Black '98 B12S, JE 1216cc bore kit, port work, Yosh RS3, Ivan jetting, drag bars, modified Corbin Gunfighter, Hyperpro shock, Racetech Gold valve kit, stainless lines, Wave rotors, polished wheels, fender eliminator, bar-end mirrors, NEP throttle lock, Adaptiv TPX radar detector...140K miles

Offline H2RICK

• Board Homesteader!
Re: KEEP YOUR AIR FILTER FRESH
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 11:43:54 PM »
Words to live by, China Greg !!! The stock bikes are set up to run sooooo leaned out that as soon as there is a small restriction caused by a dirty filter....all kinds of nastiness starts to happen, as you so clearly posted......and air filters are NOT that expensive....even the factory ones. Do your Bandit a favour....change the filter NOW......
(or next spring, if you live in the snow belt).
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is terminal.
2006 B12S (my new LD road ride)
1976 Suzuki GT550A Mint/Stock w/5K original miles
1978 Kawasaki KZ650C2 Mint/Stock w/2K original miles
1973 Kawi H2A Semi-hot rod
Various other projects in the wings