Author Topic: Let me introduce myself  (Read 3395 times)

Offline YellowDuck

• New user!
Let me introduce myself
« on: June 25, 2005, 11:15:22 PM »
Currently have a 2000 Ducati 750ss.  It was a great bike for me when I got back into riding five years ago after a six or seven year break (grad school poverty).  But now I am lookng for something a little more powerful.  I have fond memories of my old GS1150ef, which I think had the same basic motor as the old GSXRs and current Bandits.  I also think I would like something more comfortable - the sportbike crouch bothers me enough these days that it limits my mileage.

Truth be told, my #1 choice right now would be the Ducati Monster 1000DS, but they are a little out of reach price-wise (actually, a lot out of reach).   I AM a big fan of air cooled motors (I know I know...OIL cooled) for street riding.  I also enjoy their simplicity because I like to tinker.  

Okay, so I am thinking about a used Bandit as a next bike.  I don't think I would miss the light handling of the Duc, since where I live the twisties are few and far between anyway.  More opportunity for straight line acceleration than puck scraping.  But I have never ridden a Bandit 12, and am not really clear about its performance potential.  What I want is a bike with enough power to float the front wheel in second gear throttle roll-ons coming out of corners.  Would a modern Bandit with say pipes, mild jetting and a 10% bigger rear sproket provide that level of performance?  Or are you looking at over bores, high compression pistons, cams etc. to get that amount of snot out of them?  I know 150 hp is not out of the question with these motors, which should loop a bandit in second, but I am not looking for that big of a project.  What does a mildly tuned (115-120 hp) Bandit act like on the street?

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Let me introduce myself
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005, 11:29:47 PM »
Quote from: "YellowDuck"
.  What does a mildly tuned (115-120 hp) Bandit act like on the street?
To quote our Texas Governer......  "a mo-fo"
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline Vee Dub Nut

• Board Homesteader!
Let me introduce myself
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 12:05:48 AM »
from what i hear, a stock 12 will have a light front end in first and second, probley third...

A pipe and jetting goes a long way on these cold blooded bikes...
Adam in College Station Texas

1996 Bandit 750s - SOLD!
1998 Bandit 1200s - SOLD!
2000 VW GTi GLX
1967 VW Beetle* slight modifictations

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Let me introduce myself
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2005, 12:19:11 AM »
You can change the gearing if you want, but you'll get in the 115-120 horse range with just a slip-on and a jet kit.  :bigok:

I'm sure the Duc is more nimble when you get to the twisties, but the B12 does a pretty good job - especially with some minor suspension tweaks. (Like a new set of fork springs and a Hayabusa shock.)
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline 2005B12S

• Board Homesteader!
Let me introduce myself
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2005, 01:52:16 AM »
I just bought a 2005 B12 after looking at them for several years. Being air/oil cooled, having tappet valve adjusters (easy maintence), and a bullet proof big bore powerplant was what interested me. I have owned several bikes over the past 20 years with a 2001 TL1000S being most recent prior to the B12.

Make no mistake, the B12 is a great bike, but it is a 500lb buzzy inline 4, worlds apart from a flyweight V-twin Ducati SS. I am finding out that the B12 is set up very soft regardless of settings and needs suspension help in the form of aftermarket fork springs and rear shock to be ridden aggresively. Also, premium rubber as stock tires are more touring than sport.

I have done a Yosh RS3 race pipe, jet kit, and clip-on bars all in the first 500 miles. I really like the bike but will honestly say that my TL was much quicker out of the corners than the B12. It would lift the front end in 3rd gear without effort and was a real torque monster- 120hp in a 425lb 55in wheelbase package.

I have been lucky enough to ride a 900SS, your first impression will be that the B12 is a heavy bike with soft suspension and plenty of power compared to what you are now riding. If you want the best of both worlds, get your hands on a TL1000 for comparison. Good Luck, Ed.

2005 GSF1200SZ
1983 GS750ED
2005 GSF1200SZ
1983 GS750ED
1992 900SS

"The quality of the kite matters little, sucess depends upon the man sitting in it" Manfred Von Richthofen

Offline YellowDuck

• New user!
Let me introduce myself
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 03:16:39 PM »
I appreciate the responses, especially the one from 2005B12S, which gave me exactly the info I was looking for - thanks!

I must say though that I am surprised more people didn't chime in - usually if you ask "tell me why your bike is so great that I should buy one", you get inundated with testimonials.

Incidentally, yes, the TL1000S is close to my idea bike, I think, except maybe for the funky rear damper.  Strangely, you don't see many used ones for sale around here.  Either original owners are really hanging on to them, or maybe most get wadded before they make it to the used market!  Hmmmm.....

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Let me introduce myself
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 09:51:34 PM »
I have a 1st generation B12(98), I had just a D&D slip-on,K&N filter,1 up on the mains and dynoed @115w/ 77.2 lbs of torque. Since then, I went to a stage2 kit,750 GSX-R cams,full exahaust (wich cut out alot of weight).I hav'nt tested or tuned it on a dyno,but I'm guessing I'm probably around the 130hp. range. To keep up on the race track, I installed Race Tech gold valves,and springs in  the forks.And have a couple of shocks,a 1100gsx-r shock and on now a W.P. shock. I might be a little heavy, but I've pasted up some ducs on the track. And yet it is a very fun and comfortable comuting bike that you can ride every day. I droll over some of the hot trim bikes, but every time I get on and ride the Bandit, I think"Damn I love this bike" . You can do anything with it. May not be the best at any 1 thing. But pretty  good at a lot of things. I've had mine since 99.

Offline gshok108

• TURBO TYPER!
    • http://rand0mbits.com/
B12
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005, 10:29:21 PM »
When making my desicion to buy I looked at the following bikes:
SV1000, Z1000, TL1000, SuperHawk, Honda 919.  All of these bikes have there strong points, but I chose the B12.

The simple fact,  you really get allot of bike for your money, especially when buying used.  I bought an extremely clean 02 with 4,000 miles for $4000.  I was drawn to the big bore, bullet proof motor, easy maintanence, and abundant aftermarket parts.   I have a naked B12, but in 15 minutes I can throw my windshield and luggage on, and have a very capable sport tourer.  

IMO I think a stock B12 is very bland, and lacking personality, (no offensive to anybody riding a stocker) but that is easily fixed with aftermarket parts.  There are many parts available to allow you to "customize" the bike to your liking and provide it with a bit of individuality.
This however is just my taste, and everybody's is different.

The Bandit is one of the few bikes I have seen that can be so many differnt things.  Everybody buys a bike for differrent reasons, but I have seen Bandits that are set up to be boulevard  burners, stunting bikes, sport tourers, or kept stock as just a great do all bike.  

My previous bike was a Yammie R6 (which I loved) so I not expecting much in the handling department fro the B12.  The B12 was to my surprise not too bad.  The brakes are a little lacking, but swapping to SS lines and different pads fixes most of that.  

Everyone who has ever ridden my B12 comes back with a big smile on their face.  So if you are looking for a "cheap" big bore bike, with loads of available aftermarket goodies, and a motor that will run forever, the Bandit is the way to go.  

I am very pleased with my purchase and have absolutely no regrets.  Of course if I had the money and space I would own one all the bikes listed above :)