Author Topic: Need advice...Brand new bike w/ broken speedo...  (Read 4864 times)

Offline davesavvy

• Board Homesteader!
Need advice...Brand new bike w/ broken speedo...
« on: April 01, 2005, 08:07:22 PM »
I bought a brand new 2003 leftover 1200S back in January. I finally got out for the first time today (lovely upstate NY weather huh?) and realized that the speedo and odometer wasn't working. What really pisses me off is that the prep sheet from the dealer has it checked off as working, along with 100 other things supposedly done or checked. The dealer is over 3 hrs away and in another State (MA). I called them and they said it is under warranty and any local dealer could do the repair. I didn't grill them as to how this could have been missed by the mechanic.

Question is...what is most likely broken here, cable, connector, etc.?

Also, I was a little surprised that this bikes legendary low end torque/power didn't impress me much as I thought it would. Granted I was going easy and dwelling on the broken speedo, so maybe it was just me. But then again, could something else have been goofed in the prep to give the bike less power? (I last was on a bike 7 years ago on a Katana 750, which is my reference)
2003 Bandit 1200S- Silver

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 08:46:43 PM »
The 2G bikes (like yours) have electronic speedos, so no cable. It picks up its signal from the countershaft sprocket, so you can follow the wiring to see if anything is loose, unplugged or damaged.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline davesavvy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 10:50:12 AM »
update...
i decided to check all the fuses. When I got to the main fuse, under the left side panel, I noticed a plug cable which was not pluged in. It has 3 contacts inside the plug. I won't be able to find out right away if this was the problem because it is raining here, and for the next couple of days. Anyone recogize this plug, was this the culprit?

[/img]

Offline davesavvy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2005, 12:36:31 PM »
That was it! Speedo is now working. What ever that plug is, it definately will enable or disable the spedo & odometer.

Now, was the power concern real or a figment of my imagination due to my disctraction of the speedo issue. :?:

Offline BBurton

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2005, 01:47:53 PM »
I'd say that the power issue shouldn't even be an issue.. my 03 1200s will jerk your arms out of socket!! What are you comparing it to? :shock:
2005 " All Black" DL1000 V-Strom
"CAUTION", front wheel may rise under hard acceleration!

Offline davesavvy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2005, 03:32:56 PM »
Quote from: "BBurton"
I'd say that the power issue shouldn't even be an issue.. my 03 1200s will jerk your arms out of socket!! What are you comparing it to? :shock:

My last ride was a 97' Katana 750.  I know I was baby'ing the bike since it was the first ride, but when I rolled on in 2nd gear, it wasn't even close to wanting to come up. Sine my dealer's prep was done in the middle of January, and the fact that they didn't even connect the speedo connection up,  plus no test ride be the mechanic, leads to wonder whether something is still amiss with the engine.  1 or 2 cylinders not firing? Plugs fouled? Maybe I need ride #2 to revevaluate...as I was preoccupied and bothered by the speedo/odometer issue.

I might even have a local dealer's rep take the bike on a spin to give me their assessment.

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2005, 11:29:50 AM »
My speedo and odometer just quit working too. I checked fuses 1st(alright) then checked the cable. Cable broke,no after market cables avalible. Had to order one from the dealership.

Offline GeoBandit

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2005, 01:40:25 PM »
OK how do you do that.  When I want to post with a jpeg from my file system, is there away.

Second I know the speedo is electronic, that all I know about it, I did electronics in the USN for twenty years.  My speedo seems to say I am going MK1 when traffic is passing me.  I should pace my wife to see, but I believe the thing is about 25% high.  Is there an adjustment, resistor or diode or something that is a well known culpret.  It reads 0 and 0. It is a progressive error, like I said 20% so at 20 it is reading 25 at 60/75, 80/100.  Has anyone else had this problem?
97 1200

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
bike
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2005, 02:29:37 PM »
For your bike's power, I think you would know if it was missing on any cylinders.  It would sound funny and run/ride rough.  How many miles are on it?  I would get it fully broken in before any real opinions are made.  These things are really leaned out at the factory to meet emissions, get a jet kit and all will be well!  I have a gen1 B6 with cables, can't help on the speedo issue.

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2005, 02:37:09 PM »
With me at 235lbs... my 03 1200s wasn't prone to lift the front wheel in 2nd gear until I piped & jetted it.  

Now I can lean all the way forward over the tank and it still lifts the front wheel off the ground in 2nd when I crank it.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2005, 06:37:21 PM »
Quote from: "GeoBandit"
OK how do you do that.  When I want to post with a jpeg from my file system, is there away.

Second I know the speedo is electronic, that all I know about it, I did electronics in the USN for twenty years.  My speedo seems to say I am going MK1 when traffic is passing me.  I should pace my wife to see, but I believe the thing is about 25% high.  Is there an adjustment, resistor or diode or something that is a well known culpret.  It reads 0 and 0. It is a progressive error, like I said 20% so at 20 it is reading 25 at 60/75, 80/100.  Has anyone else had this problem?

My bike is progressive. Gets more error the faster you go. It's common. You can live with it, re-gear to get it closer, or install a product like "Yellow Box" to correct it... or if you're good with electronics, make your own correction device.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)