Author Topic: New 01 1200S owner, need help fitting this bike  (Read 2544 times)

Offline pdorman

• Board Regular!
New 01 1200S owner, need help fitting this bike
« on: June 14, 2010, 05:07:29 PM »
Just picked up a 01 1200s with a Corbin seat and 1 3/8 or so risers with stock bars.  I'm 5 7" and have always rode cruiser bikes, the seating position is killing my back and wrist.  I need help with finding a set of bars that will put me in more of a cruise position.  I was thinking a set of V strom bars would maybe be a better fit, I know I will have to probably modify brake/clutch lines but I need to be comfortable.  I'm sure I'm not the only height challenged person riding one of these.

Thanks for any help.   The bike also came with heated grips and a full set of Givi monokey 40ltr bags and rack...  I can't wait to load them up and take a trip....

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Re: New 01 1200S owner, need help fitting this bike
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 04:42:45 PM »
While I didn't reply in this thread, I did reply to your PM. 

Your post didn't say anything about lowering links, if it had, there's a lot of us here that have changed the links to raise or lower the tail that could have told you it takes longer links to lower/shorter to raise.

Just think of it as quality time spent with your new ride.  :beers:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline pdorman

• Board Regular!
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 07:57:09 PM »
I do apologize :duh:   After reading my initial post and finding nowhere did i mention lowering the bike.....  I knew it in my mind, just didn't pass it along to others..... As far as getting to know my bike, I think I know every inch of it from underneath.... I was shocked to find that a 1/2 inch could make such a big difference...  I'm now off to my initial post project... Mounting a set of the Genmar riser/pullbacks and seeing if my stock bars will be far enough back and up high enough.   I currently have a 1 3/8 rise so the genmar's will make it 2 3/8 with a 1 3/8 back....  I know I will probably have line issues but am willing to deal with that in order to be cumfy....     Thanks again and sorry for the snotty prior post.

Phil

Offline pdorman

• Board Regular!
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 10:21:10 PM »
Well, I think I've got the bike finally to fit me and where I enjoy riding it. 
I have the Soupys lowering links on with a 1/2 inch drop.
I also put a set of Genmar riser/pullbacks on in addition to the 1 3/8 risers already on the bike.  This gives me a total of 2 3/8 rise with a 1 3/8 pull back using the stock bars.  Sitting position not totally upright but just about perfect feeling for me now.  I can now focus on goodies, like a 12 volt accessory jack and be looking for a GPS to mount.   

Thanks again for all the help guys....   Remember, I live in the Kansas City area and if anyone wants to hook up for a ride, just shoot me an email....

:thanks: :motorsmile:  Phil