Author Topic: New Bandit owner  (Read 6179 times)

Offline blurredphoto2

• New user!
New Bandit owner
« on: June 06, 2005, 05:18:26 PM »
Hi. I just purchased a 1996 B6s. This is my first bike at the ripe old age of 17 (I know that it says no one under 18 at the top of each page, but I assumed that was to keep gixxer fanboys away..). I know a bit about car mechanics after working very hard to learn about my car. I assumed that learning about the bike would be easier.. I think I might have been a bit wrong,as the mechanics seema  bit over whelming (this is my own money that I put down for this bike.. including insurance..) I hope and suppose that a knowledge of the bike will come with time, and by reading this forum as much as possible.

I bought it off of ebay (Locally, here in Vegas) from a Mormon Neurosurgery student.... could think of a better seller.. It had less than 14000 miles, but I'm riding alot, and getting better everyday.. I love this bike so much.. It's beautiful, it's fast (but still well manageable).. and did I mention it's sooo beautiful?

Anyways, I have a silly question. Sometimes when shifting the bike from neutral to first, It will not go into gear. I depress the shifter a bit, not slamming it into gear, and it just clicks and vibrates, as if the 'gears' are not syncing up.. ( i told you i didn't know enough about bikes!). This happens sometimes when starting off in the morning, or when decelerating to a stoplight.. I figured that maybe it was because I was a moron and was trying to put it into first gear before my speed matched (clutched in, obviously).. Was this the cause? Not being a moron when decelerating seems to have stopped this problem most of the time, but it still does this at a stand still. After it clicks, I ease off the shifter, and then push it down a bit more confidently.. it usually goes "kachunk"...

Stupid question number two: when shifting gears, do I need to bring the lever all the way to the bar? I noticed that most of the time I really just bring it past the friction point.. I never grind the gears or notice anything bad about the shifts... Am I doing any harm to my precious bike? Or does it really matter?
Thanks.. if i broke any forum rules (official or unofficial) let me know and I'll delete the post :)
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y278/blurredphoto/P1010006.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y278/blurredphoto/P1010007.jpg[/url]

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
New Bandit owner
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 07:02:18 PM »
Looks like you found a nice, clean example!
You sound happy in your post, but it doesn't look like you're too happy in the pic.  :wink:

Shifting from N to 1, or 1-2, or 2-1 taked a little more effort than the others. Not that you need to stomp on it, it just takes a bit more pressure. You only need to pull the lever in enough to disconnect the engine from the transmission.

Basic mechanics are basic mechanics, car, motorcycle, boat, or airplane. Motorcycles tend to be simpler because they have fewer ancillaries than a car, but some things that are maintenace free on most cars do require attention on bikes - like valve adjustments.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline blurredphoto2

• New user!
New Bandit owner
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 07:23:00 PM »
Paul-
Nice name...  :wink:

I'm very happy with the bike.. I can't wait to get better and more experienced as a rider. I'm lucky to live so close to such great riding (even if i do hate the desert).

I'm glad to hear that i'm not breaking my bike.

Are there any other sites about the Bandit? I haven't been able to find any. In fact, it was pure chance that I syumbled across this (awesome) forum.

Paul

Offline TimB

• New user!
New Bandit owner
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2005, 08:37:12 PM »
Welcome.
http://www.maximum-suzuki.com/
http://www.holeshot.com/
http://www.banditsrus.com/fastlarry/banditfaq.htm

MSF has a Beginners and Experienced Rider Course that is pretty could and it could get you a discount on your insurance. http://www.msf-usa.org/
2003 "Faster Green" GSF1200S
- Yoshimura RS-3 Slip-on
- Dynojet Stage-1 Kit
- Holeshot 5* Timing advancer
- Flo-Commander
- Corbin Gunfighter and Lady W/ Backrest

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
New Bandit owner
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2005, 09:10:48 PM »
Paul (the younger one.... maybe we should call him Paul/3  :stickpoke: ),

I have to say, the thought of a 17 year old on a street bike scares the hell outta me.  If I had one at that age, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have seen 18.  You seem appropriately respectful and have a terrific attitude.  That's commendable.  Be careful out there!  Take the MSF course, too.  It is really worthwhile (although here in PA, most insurers are not offering a discount for it anymore).  

Dayum, that's a clean first gen bike!  Amazingly so.  Cool perspective on that first pic, too.   :bigok:

This may just be me being a moron but I very rarely, if ever, downshift into 1st gear.  At least on the B4, 1st is so low that it doesn't really have any value engine breaking.  Also when downshifting, it helps to 'blip' the throttle just before the clutch engages.  It helps match the engine speed and prevents that head-snap you can get.  It takes a lot of practice to get the timing of it (for me it did, anyway).  If you're too early it doesn't do anything, too late and you end up accelerating rather than decelerating.  If you do it right, it sounds really cool too!   :motorsmile:

Good luck to you...
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline blurredphoto2

• New user!
New Bandit owner
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2005, 10:03:42 PM »
That's a good tip, pitter.. i'll practice.

I took the MSF course, and passed with a 98 on my test (100 written).

I know that I'm young, but it's been somehting I've wanted to do since I was a little boy. If I really want something, I'll make it happen.

I always ride within my limits and deal with traffic as much as possible. I think that becoming a good driver, comes with age and experience, so why not start young..

Granted, most kids my age are more into I KAN DO SICK WEELIES ON MY SICK HAYABUSA!!!11

It's funny to see these middle aged huys riding around town in shorts, flip flops, and wifebeaters... on a $30k kustom chopper  :duh: .. They come close to dumping them at every light..

No close calls yet, and I hope to keep it that way.
Also, if I ever have kids (lets hope not), no way in hell would I let them get a bike...  :wink:

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
New Bandit owner
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2005, 11:07:29 PM »
Quote from: "blurredphoto2"
Also, if I ever have kids (lets hope not), no way in hell would I let them get a bike...  :wink:

Glad I saw that wink...  :bigok:

Quote from: "PitterB4"
I have to say, the thought of a 17 year old on a street bike scares the hell outta me. If I had one at that age, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have seen 18. You seem appropriately respectful and have a terrific attitude.

:blahblah:  :blahblah: follows....

Doesn't scare me... I started riding on the street at 16 and had my first street bike before my first car. I did have a few years of dirt bike experience first. My first street bike was a 650 Yamaha twin, a pretty docile bike by today's standards, but a big bike that was no slouch by the standards of the day. Like my younger namesake, respect for the machine and what you're doing goes a long way to making it to your next birthday. That's not to say I never did anything Johnny Law would call stupid, just being careful about when and where you do it - and not riding over your head. I've taught all my kids to ride dirt bikes when they were younger and now I'm working on the grand-daughters. None of my kids currently own a bike, but my son and one of my daughters and a son-in-law want one as soon as they can justify the expense. (Actually, the SIL is supposed to be getting a bike given to him from his uncle and is just waiting for the word from the uncle when to come get it.

I commend Paul for not chosing a hyperbike and for having what sounds like a level head on his shoulders. I hope he keeps that attitude!

:bigok:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
New Bandit owner
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2005, 11:35:02 PM »
PitterB4 wrote:
I have to say, the thought of a 17 year old on a street bike scares the hell outta me. If I had one at that age, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have seen 18. You seem appropriately respectful and have a terrific attitude.  

:blahblah:  :blahblah:  follows....

I commend Paul for ... and for having what sounds like a level head on his shoulders. I hope he keeps that attitude!

Is there an echo in here???  (hey Pete, what the hell happened to that headscratch smiley???)  

No close calls yet, and I hope to keep it that way.

Paul/3, I can almost guarantee you'll have some close calls.  The chances are great that at some point, you'll even go down.  Having your head screwed on right can save you in those situations.   Here Paul*3, I'll save you the trouble...   :soapbox:  :blahblah:  :stfu:

:monkeymoon:  :stickpoke:
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
New Bandit owner
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2005, 12:42:56 AM »
Quote from: "PitterB4"
Is there an echo in here???  (hey Pete, what the hell happened to that headscratch smiley???)

That statement wasn't meant to counter what you said - only to agree.  :bslap:  :stickpoke:

:btw:  :welcome: Paul/3
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline blurredphoto2

• New user!
New Bandit owner
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2005, 12:50:08 AM »
As a rule, I only ride on city streets at 100mph, do wheelies, stoppies, and the like when I'm trying to impress a girl.

I mean, there are some risks in life that are just worth taking.

:shock:

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
young riders
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2005, 07:36:06 PM »
I got my mc endorsement the same day I got my drivers license, way back in 1980.  I think the big difference then was volume of traffic (or lack of in my part of the country) and available bikes.  I learned on dirt bikes so I was level headed.  I had a Yamaha DT125 (about 21 horsepower) then got a streetbike, Honda CX500 (not sure of its horsepower, not much).  Today you got heavy traffic, cheap 600cc repli-racers, and kids who have grown up on video games, not mini bikes in a dirt field.  When you crash in a video game, all you do is hit the reset botton.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Re: young riders
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2005, 08:44:04 PM »
Quote from: "tacoman"
I had a Yamaha DT125 (about 21 horsepower)

I don't know what year yours was, but the DT/AT125's of the early to mid 70's were more like 13 hp. My '72 Penton 125 claimed 21hp stock and was one of the fastest 125's of that era - and not street-legal
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline 99er

• Board Homesteader!
New Bandit owner
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2005, 09:29:03 PM »
Everyone's so chatty.... :lol:

Dude, that is a very nice ride! It's obvious that the former owner kept it under a cover in his garage.

You need to know a few things. First, when the bike is cold, the oil is thick and has not circulated well through the engine. It's generally a bit more difficult to shift into 1st. The clutch also isn't moist so you may feel a bit of pull once in gear when cold. Normal stuff.

When my 1200's oil gets dirty, I have the same trouble. An oil and filter change cures it. It never used to do this but the clutch is getting old and the oil gets dirty faster.

The 600 has a cable clutch that is now almost ten years old and probably has never been adjusted. Do so and you'll get better disengagement. You can adjust at the engine and at the lever.

For your second question, it's nice to know that all motorcycles, even Harleys, have sequential race-bred transmissions. I always use my clutch when downshifting but there's no need to waste your time with it on the upshift. When you want to shift, place some pressure on the shift lever and then quickly cut and re"mash" the throttle. This is enough to relax the drivetrain and enable the shift. It does not damage the trans and will help your clutch life. It also works best when you're accelerating quickly. Some, like me, use an ignition cutout that does the same thing. Dale sells them at Holeshot.com or you can make one yourself. They cut the ignition with the same effect you get from a throttle blip. Try it! The GP-quick shift will thrill you.

Ride it, dude! Love the hat.
Marc /Atlanta
'99 B12 w/mods

Offline chippi

• Board Homesteader!
New Bandit owner
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2005, 05:40:15 PM »
As a rule, I only ride on city streets at 100mph, do wheelies, stoppies, and the like when I'm trying to impress a girl.

I mean, there are some risks in life that are just worth taking.

:shock:

Har Har Har
I agree with the group it sound like you got your head in the right place.

:sad:   :sad:  :sad:  :sad:
A budy of mine just sold a beutiful SV650 to a young man that sounded alot like Pual/3. Saved up did his research know all about the bike was scheduled for the MSC. last weekend Junior skip day he splattered himself to a street pole :crybaby: The bike is gone and he is in critical care.

PLEASE remmember to respect the machine!!
:yesno: Paul that's my line :lol:
Learn from other peoples mistakes...... or you won't be around long enough to make them all yourself!

Offline smitty225

• TURBO TYPER!
New Bandit owner
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2005, 02:54:37 PM »
Quote from: "99er"

For your second question, it's nice to know that all motorcycles, even Harleys, have sequential race-bred transmissions. I always use my clutch when downshifting but there's no need to waste your time with it on the upshift. When you want to shift, place some pressure on the shift lever and then quickly cut and re"mash" the throttle. This is enough to relax the drivetrain and enable the shift. It does not damage the trans and will help your clutch life.

Ok.  So your saying...on the upshift.....do NOT pull the clutch in, just put pressure on the shifter, roll back and then roll forward on the throttle?

Smitty
Nakid' Green - 96' 1st Gen - B6
D&D Slip-on
Progressive Springs
Stebel Compact horn (139dB!)
jet kit
...I hate winter.