Author Topic: New Exhaust Smell ??  (Read 2169 times)

Offline MazdaRx

• TURBO TYPER!
New Exhaust Smell ??
« on: August 06, 2008, 11:06:19 PM »
Well i fitted my D&D slip-on today and fired her up.  .. sounds awesome.  There are no air leaks and the bike seems to run good, slightly higher idle speed but only 100-200 rpms more.  The only thing that concerns me is the Odd Burned smell coming from the exhaust.  Is this just some sort of coating burning off inside the pipe or is it something more to be concerned with.   Its not a fuel oder, and the bike seams to run a bit warmer though its hard to tell since there is no gauge.  It has synthetic oil in the engine and i have never used sythetic before so i don't know if it has the same smell regular oil has when its burning.  Its almost like nasty burned popcorn ... or some chemical burning..

I have a factory pro jet kit that is being installed next week at a local shop and the bike is being dyno'd after.

should i be ok commuting to work for the next 2 weeks with the bike or is it running to lean now?

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: New Exhaust Smell ??
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 11:41:02 PM »
The smell is likely some of the oily coating on the inside and outside of the pipe. I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

Yes the bike will be leaner, but not lean enough to do any damage. Just avoid sustained, full throttle runs and be mindfull of the heat.

Once your jet kit is in, you will likely be surprised at the overall increase in power from just some jets and a slip-on.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)