Author Topic: Noise from engine  (Read 3875 times)

Offline z-dna

• New user!
Noise from engine
« on: February 01, 2006, 12:00:34 AM »
Help Please!

This is for a 2001 B6:

I noticed a noise comming from the engine shortly after startup at around 40k miles.  It sounded like a clunk.  It would go away pretty fast after startup.  Now at about 68k miles it lasts much longer until the engine is completely warm.  I did some investigation with my stethescope and it sounded like it was comming from the point where the alternator meets the clutch/crank gear.  I should also note that at speeds above 2k RPM it goes away except for the faintest pulse I can feel in the handlebars.  I admit the feeling in the handlebars may be my imagination, though.

I pulled the alternator to see if I could find anything obvious.  No chipped teeth on the alternator gear and the shaft play is perfect.

My next step was to drain the oil and pull the clutch apart for inspection.

Any ideas?

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Re: Noise from engine
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 02:12:34 AM »
Quote from: "z-dna"
My next step was to drain the oil and pull the clutch apart for inspection.

Any ideas?

That's a good idea. Could be the clutch basket and plates are making noise from wear.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline z-dna

• New user!
Noise from engine
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 01:16:20 AM »
Thanks!!

Just one follow-up.  What should I look for in the clutch?  Should I pull the whole basket and check the bearings or just check the plates?

Thanks,
Josh

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Noise from engine
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 01:59:36 AM »
Check the ears on the plates and the slots in the basket.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
Noise from engine
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 07:21:24 AM »
It may be as simple as a carb synchronizing.  I've had it happened to me in the past where it sounded like the motor wanted to fall apart and all it needed was a sync.
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline z-dna

• New user!
Noise from engine
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006, 02:44:42 AM »
Ok, so I pulled the clutch.  The friction plates are good.  They are close to their wear limit, so I will replace them.  The clutch hub is shot.  It has some very deep gouges.  Why do I keep getting these on the clutch hub?  They were the same way last time I replaced the clutch and I replaced the clutch hub then and the clutch outer housing.  The pressure plate has some deep gouges where the springs are.  Do I need to replace this?  The only thing that seems like it might be making noise is the clutch outer housing.  It had some front to back play after removing the plates.   I think this is ok, but I'm not sure.  The strange thing is that it could rotate for about an 1/8th inch indepentantly from the crank gear!  Is that normal?  Additionally the springs are loose in the crank gear.  Is that normal?  Do I need to replace this as well?

Thanks again,
Josh

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Noise from engine
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2006, 04:44:09 PM »
Sounds like you're tough on clutches. Do you have a service manual? The B6 clutch is different from the B12, so I'm not as familiar with it, but check the manual for serive tolerances/limits and replace anything out of spec.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline z-dna

• New user!
Noise from engine
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 02:26:43 AM »
Actually , thats what I don't understand.  I'm not that hard on clutches. I don't do wheelies, and I spend most of my time on the superslab.

At any rate, the service manual doesn't say anything about the springs in the outer housing or the play between the outer housing and the crank gear.  I have a feeling this may be where the noise is comming from though.  

Thanks for all your help!
Josh