Author Topic: Odd ticking at idle  (Read 2467 times)

Offline DaneJurrous

• Board Regular!
  • I am not easily distracted...just rarely focused
Odd ticking at idle
« on: June 25, 2013, 01:47:02 PM »
Last week I went through and did a few things to the bike, 2002 B12, threw on a Delkevic bolt on silencer and also put in the holeshot stage one jet kit, modified the air box and put on the 5° timing advancer. I started riding it after letting it warm up to see how it runs on the base line settings in the instructions 107.5 Mains, 3.75 turns on mixture screws and 5 shims under the needle. After a little bit when I was sitting at a stop light it was running a little off and I could hear a slight knock coming from the tail pipe. I am running 89 octane fuel in it as recommended and I will admit I am still new to carb tuning and I am wondering if this is a fuel knock that might be caused by being rich at idle? I have a video I can get up later if need be to better explain the issue. The valves are within tolerances and it only started after the jet kit and silencer

Anyone have any potential insights?
1981 GS750L - Pepe (Cafe build) 2002 B12s - El Bandito

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Re: Odd ticking at idle
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 04:03:31 PM »
Your location says SLC - that's what, 4200' elevation?  Pretty sure Dale's instructions are written for sea level, so its possible your knock is coming from unburned fuel lighting off in the exhaust.  I would give Dale a call and ask him what he recommends for your elevation.  I ran a Satge II kit in my B12, but I live at sea level.  Even with frequent trips to the 3-6K' mark, I never noticed any issues, but not much idle time at altitude either.  :trustme:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline DaneJurrous

• Board Regular!
  • I am not easily distracted...just rarely focused
Re: Odd ticking at idle
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 06:04:24 PM »
Well I hope at higher elevation you are gripping some turns man rather than idling! thanks for the response I will give dale a call and see what we can figure out.
1981 GS750L - Pepe (Cafe build) 2002 B12s - El Bandito