Author Topic: running with-out a bolt on can?  (Read 2919 times)

Offline theroamr

• Board Homesteader!
running with-out a bolt on can?
« on: June 02, 2006, 12:54:33 AM »
I have heard running a bike, specifically a bandit 1200 with jet kit without a bolt on can can hurt the motor. Is this true? I here the stock mid pipe has some baffles and wonder if they offer enough back pressure as to not hurt the engine. I think if it doesnt hurt the motor and you can dial your carbs in,,,,why not. It would be a low slung exhaust and you could grind off the flange connection on the end to smooth it out. I ran mine a couple of minutes this way before, it sounded great, not very much louder, but much deeper than my scorpion bolt on. Im just throwing ideas around,,, any input is appreciated.
We don't need more sensitivity training, we need DE-sensitivity training. Too many people with skin so thin you can see their quivering, sensitive little bones just waiting to be offended.

Learn to take a punch!!!

Offline nuttyprof1

• TURBO TYPER!
stock can/jet kit
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 01:13:34 AM »
I just bought a jet kit from Dale Walker and he claims that you can in fact put a stage 1 jet kit with the stock can and it would work well (I am going to put it in this coming weekend). He also said that 2nd gen bandits 1200 have a slightly more open stock exhaust for low/mid range.
G

Offline theroamr

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 01:27:59 AM »
Im talking about running it with no can at all.
We don't need more sensitivity training, we need DE-sensitivity training. Too many people with skin so thin you can see their quivering, sensitive little bones just waiting to be offended.

Learn to take a punch!!!

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
Re: running with-out a bolt on can?
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 03:01:13 AM »
="theroamr"]I have heard running a bike, specifically a bandit 1200 with jet kit without a bolt on can can hurt the motor. Is this true? I here the stock mid pipe has some baffles and wonder if they offer enough back pressure as to not hurt the engine. I think if it doesnt hurt the motor and you can dial your carbs in,,,,why not. It would be a low slung exhaust and you could grind off the flange connection on the end to smooth it out. I ran mine a couple of minutes this way before, it sounded great, not very much louder, but much deeper than my scorpion bolt on. Im just throwing ideas around,,, any input is appreciated.
I ran my 98 down a back road with the midpipe uncorked for probably 10 miles! It sounded sooo sweet i couldn't help! riding it like i stole it!!! It ran better than with a can, but it could have just been the sound! The stock midpipe has that screen looking baffle that causes a bit of back pressure. A straight thru blown out race core can't add that much more.. :?:  :?:

Offline flipbandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 04:03:46 PM »
I ran my b6 once without the can before I installed my used vance. It sounded louder, I even liked the way it sounded more than the vance pipe installed.

But here in wa state or atleast the police in bellingham they measure the car pipe sounds with a db measuring meter. I once was pulled over and the popo told me to rev up the motor on neutral at 5k rpms. I would've never passed if I didn't rev the motor at only 3000 hahaha. Anyways that was on a car, I'm not sure if it has to be general including bikes. Never seen anyone on bike get that kinda police hospitality.

I would love to do it again with my bike just thinkin bout the exhaust fumes though specially when idle on heavy traffic. I mean the smokes is coming from just below you. Hehehe
(",)

Offline IcyChaos

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 07:07:56 AM »
Quote from: theroamr
Im talking about running it with no can at all.

I guess it depends on how much fuel the jetting is giving.  Id imagine it could hurt the bike if your not getting enough fuel over time. If its running too lean all the time.