Author Topic: opinions on how different exhausts sound  (Read 8038 times)

Offline chrisallen

• Board Regular!
opinions on how different exhausts sound
« on: November 28, 2006, 08:02:43 PM »
Getting my b12 hopefully this weekend.   How do the different exhausts compare to each other?  Any particularly louder, or deeper, more throaty?????

Offline chrisallen

• Board Regular!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 09:00:41 AM »
Does anyone have sound clips of their bike also?  I have heard the bikes on dale walkers site, but nothing to compare it to.   On my 00b12 I had a two brothers can on there, but that was 5 years ago.  

And is it worth shelling out the money for a full system?   Dales full kit will wind up running me like 800 or so for the header and high pipe(not to mention the kickstand stop) which is a bit much I think for the power gains on his dyno chart.    I mean between a stage 2 jet kit and slip on and the stage 2 with full system its only a difference of 1.2lb ft of torque, and a peak horspower difference of 3.5(it does seem to keep pulling in the rpms though).

I do like the fact that he is a bandit enthusiast though, and that should be good for something.

Is another full system comparable, or worth getting?  

Any opinions in the sound?

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 09:10:42 AM »
I personally like the Holeshot.  I have the high mount setup and I can hear it when I get on it, but is mellow when cruising.  I heard the Yoshi pipe a few months ago and had a nice throaty sound to it.  I think I heard his pipe a bit more than mine when riding.  Then again, I was listening to two different pipes from different angles.  I gained about 10-11 hp and about 4 ft lbs of torque with a slip on pipe and jet kit.  I also dropped about 7 lbs as well.  If you get a slip on, just make sure that you get one that hooks up to the header.  Don't get one that hooks up to the mid pipe.
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline Bob Holland

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 09:19:38 AM »
Quote from: "solman"
I personally like the Holeshot.  I have the high mount setup and I can hear it when I get on it, but is mellow when cruising.  I heard the Yoshi pipe a few months ago and had a nice throaty sound to it.  I think I heard his pipe a bit more than mine when riding.  Then again, I was listening to two different pipes from different angles.  I gained about 10-11 hp and about 4 ft lbs of torque with a slip on pipe and jet kit.  I also dropped about 7 lbs as well.  If you get a slip on, just make sure that you get one that hooks up to the header.  Don't get one that hooks up to the mid pipe.

Did you dyno the bike to get the HP numbers. I had the full holeshot set up, it has small header tubes. I took it off and put on a D & D, for the bigger down tubes. The bike went from running 10.0s, to 9.8s just by changing the exhaust. The D&D was thin and cheaply made, so I got the Hindle, stainless header and titanium can.
Just my experiance with the exhaust. :beers:
If I didn't have a Suzuki, I would have a Kawasaki

Offline oremike

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 04:28:17 PM »
I have a Yosh TRS on my B12 and regularly get comments on how nice it sounds, that and an Ivans jet kit/ air box mod realy woke up the performance. BTW the yosh comes with a single wall mid pipe to remove that restriction.
Mike M.
Ride the roads that make you giggle in your helmet.

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 10:31:03 PM »
Did you dyno the bike to get the HP numbers.

As a matter of fact, yes I do.

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 11:05:21 PM »
In my opinion and from the dyno test I have seen a Yoshimura clamp-on performance muffler will give almost full system pipe performance at a fraction of the cost ($300), to the point that you will not be able to tell difference without a dyno test. Go for Yoshimura, it not only sound good but the looks killer with the Jap script logo which looks martial arts intimidating. Who wants "Two Brothers :lol: " stamped on their muffler which begs a weird question, if you know what I mean.... :annoy:

Offline chrisallen

• Board Regular!
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 11:41:56 PM »
Ok so it seems like from other posts also, that maybe the holeshot exhaust is a little more on the quiet side?? Also, maybe a bit overpriced from what you are getting compared to other pipes like the yoshimura?  I like the idea of buying an exhaust from someone like dale walker, but the high price tag and similiar performance to other lower priced exhausts is a turn off.   How is the hindle sound wise?  Seems like the three I have seen the most positive response to is the hindle, yoshimura and the holeshot.  

Id like to see a dyno shootout on a bandit.

Offline chrisallen

• Board Regular!

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 02:49:46 AM »
Dyno Bandit 1200 Stock vs. Bandit with Yoshimura race Slip-On + Ivan's Carb kit w/modified airbox.

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2006, 09:04:09 AM »
 Go for Yoshimura, it not only sound good but the looks killer with the Jap script logo which looks martial arts intimidating. Who wants "Two Brothers  " stamped on their muffler which begs a weird question, if you know what I mean....

I like Yoshi and is a good pipe, but it is like jumping on the band wagon.  I personally like being a bit different, plus the Holeshot exhaust can is so much smaller too.  One the dyno chart listed above, the horsepower looks nice, but what happened to the torque?  It is still at stock torque. :stickpoke:  One other thing, about Two Brothers, I understand where you are going with it and it never crossed my mind or anyone else I know either.  Now if it said "Two Boys", then that would be different.

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2006, 03:28:17 PM »
Quote from: "solman"
 Go for Yoshimura, it not only sound good but the looks killer with the Jap script logo which looks martial arts intimidating. Who wants "Two Brothers  " stamped on their muffler which begs a weird question, if you know what I mean....

I like Yoshi and is a good pipe, but it is like jumping on the band wagon.  I personally like being a bit different, plus the Holeshot exhaust can is so much smaller too.  One the dyno chart listed above, the horsepower looks nice, but what happened to the torque?  It is still at stock torque. :stickpoke:  One other thing, about Two Brothers, I understand where you are going with it and it never crossed my mind or anyone else I know either.  Now if it said "Two Boys", then that would be different.

Just to point out to you the Dyno test I posted, the red and dark red lines are stock and the blue and dark blue lines are with the performance setup using Yoshi and Ivan jet kit. You will also note that both numbers blow away the Holeshot dyno numbers of course.

Offline Horse1200

• TURBO TYPER!
Exhaust sound
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2006, 05:05:36 PM »
Hi there
Im over here in the uk, i have recently just bought a 1200 bandit k6. I have had the devil high level system shipped over from you guys over the pond. The sound when you remove the baffle (which we are suppose to run with it in when on the road, i think i shall conviently lose mine) oh back to the sound, well my bike has some custom grafix and has tagged BLACK THUNDER, it sounds like a derailed frieght train in a tunnel, it makes car alarms go off and the hair on the back of you neck stand up. The bike is going for a dyno run in a couple of weeks time, i will post details of results. www.devilbikes.com  Well worth a look. Excellent build quality and a large choice of exhaust cans.

:scaredmouse:
LEAVE LATER, RIDE FASTER

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2006, 10:23:17 PM »
I am an idiot, it was late and wasn't paying attention when I read it.  One thing that you have to remember about dyno's is that they are going to very some on who does it, and where it is done.  One thing to remember is that the published stock hp for the Bandit is 100.7 hp and he is showing 4 hp above that.  I didn't do a before dyno, but if I use the stock numbers, then we are about the same for hp.  The torque is about the same, and those numbers are definitely showing more of an improvement.

Offline davehenricks

• New user!
Scoripion bolt on 2003
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2007, 01:13:47 PM »
I just put on a Scorpion Oval Carbon bolt on my 2003 and the sound is great. Not to much at idle or taking off, but it increases as you get into the throttle.  It does not sound very loud to me, but my wife said she can hear me going down the road for 1/2 mile.  That is a good thing. :grin: