Author Topic: ignition switch wiring  (Read 8472 times)

Offline dlit

• New user!
ignition switch wiring
« on: December 05, 2010, 07:40:32 PM »
Hi everybody,
I have a 98 Bandit 1200 with some gremlins that I am trying to chase out.  Initially, the bike would not start.  I have replaced a defective starter solenoid relay and sidestand switch.  Now the engine turns over, but does not catch due to not having any spark.  The ignition components all test out ok according to the Haynes manual.  The only part that does not test good is the ignition switch.  The black/white and orange/yellow pins do not show continuity when the switch is in the on position.  I have read that it has to do with some hotwiring/anti-theft circuit and that jumpering the pins with a 100-ohm resistor will work.  I have done this and bike still won't start.  

I started to trace the wiring harness and discovered that a connector was unplugged.  In the attached photo, I can't find the other end to plug in the connector with the black/white and orange/yellow wires (circled in red).  I know the plug above it with the yellow/black and black/white wires is for the fuel level sender unit.  Also, should the throttle position sensor connector (circled in green) be plugged into anything?  I know on my '01 1200 it goes to a TPS sensor on the right side carb bank, but I don't see that on the '98 Bandit.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Re: ignition switch wiring
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 01:24:59 PM »
I can't tell precisely from your picture, but it sure looks like the mate to your plug circled in red is just outside the circle at about 11 o'clock.

Since your 98 doesn't have a TPS sensor, the TPS connector is unused and doesn't plug into anything.  I know a lot of 1G bikes have this connector, but I haven't seen a 1G with TPS.  Maybe there is some market edition that had it or maybe it was just put in place for future plans that didn't end up coming into being until the 2G models came out.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 01:31:11 PM by Red01 »
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline dlit

• New user!
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 05:58:53 PM »
I can't tell precisely from your picture, but it sure looks like the mate to your plug circled in red is just outside the circle at about 11 o'clock.

Since your 98 doesn't have a TPS sensor, the TPS connector is unused and doesn't plug into anything.  I know a lot of 1G bikes have this connector, but I haven't seen a 1G with TPS.  Maybe there is some market edition that had it or maybe it was just put in place for future plans that didn't end up coming into being until the 2G models came out.

The plug above it with the yellow/black and black/white wires is for the fuel level sender unit.  I also checked just to be sure, and the ends don't match up.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 02:21:33 PM »
check the wire diagram?

I'm wondering if it might be for the carb heat found on UK market bikes.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline dlit

• New user!
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 02:05:34 PM »
check the wire diagram?

I'm wondering if it might be for the carb heat found on UK market bikes.

The wiring diagram shows the orange/yellow and black/white wires running to the ICU and the ignition switch.  I'm pretty sure the bike is a US version one.  Thanks.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 02:23:18 PM »
Sounds like the diagram told you what you needed to know, now you just need to find its mate. 

I wasn't implying you had a UK bike, just "thinking out loud" about what the connector might have been for.  Like the TPS connector, all (or most) of the bikes built, regardless of market, got the wire harness provisions for carb heat.  Only certain markets, like UK, got carbs with carb heat, so if you didn't have the heated carbs, you'd have a connector with nothing to mate to..
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)