Author Topic: Four gallons a fill up?  (Read 8714 times)

Offline WEINERDOGBONE

• Board Homesteader!
Four gallons a fill up?
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2006, 04:38:00 PM »
Quote from: "Banditmaster"
I almost never get less than 4.5 Gal. of gas for my B12 and have ran it as low as .2   it took 4.8 Gals to fill it !

Most of the time I'll just ride to I feel a little miss and reach down and flip it to R. unless I'm on some thight twisties then I'll go ahead and switch it , don't want to run out of Gas at hard lean!!!

Thats what I do. I run it until it needs gas. I have frequently run on reserve with no problems.

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
Four gallons a fill up?
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2006, 09:24:17 PM »
Quote from: "WEINERDOGBONE"
Quote from: "Banditmaster"
I almost never get less than 4.5 Gal. of gas for my B12 and have ran it as low as .2   it took 4.8 Gals to fill it !

Most of the time I'll just ride to I feel a little miss and reach down and flip it to R. unless I'm on some thight twisties then I'll go ahead and switch it , don't want to run out of Gas at hard lean!!!

Thats what I do. I run it until it needs gas. I have frequently run on reserve with no problems.

Running on reserve is fine providing you're not far from a town that has a service station that's open.  Yes, that can be a problem here in the Land of Oz, hence why I never let it get that low on a trip.

The only other problem with running on reserve is forgetting to take it of reserve after filling up.  Been there, done that. I don't think there is a feeling quite like it, the bike starting to miss, so you reach down to switch to reserve and very quickly realise that it's already on reserve :duh:  :duh:  :duh: .  Fortunatley I was in town and only had a small walk to a service station.
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline zaphoid42

• TURBO TYPER!
Four gallons a fill up?
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2006, 06:44:39 PM »
Well, hey what do you know.

I ran around today untill I ran out of gas and needed the reserve.

Starting from a full tank (on the side stand).  I ran for 120 miles at that time there were two bars showing on the gauge.  This is where I would always fill up in the past.

I kept going untill 160 miles and I get one bar on the gauge and a flashing fuel pump thing.

At 165 miles it dies and I needed to switch to reserve. Drove around for another five miles to find a station.

Took on 3.7 gallons of gas (on the side stand).

So, the gauge does work and work right sort of.  Its a five miles until the engine dies and I need the reserve gauge.

I cant really account for the first time I ran out of gas and it showed two bars.  I dont care that was a long time ago.   :beers:
2002 GSF6

Offline Gazza

• New user!
Four gallons a fill up?
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2006, 01:49:42 AM »
Having read this thread I thought I would test my 06/1200s last weekend.
Filled to the top then did a run with the club ranging from 35kph twisties to 180kph cruising. Had the last segment and fuel pump symbol flashing at me for 15k's and the bike took 16litres to bring back to full total distance traveled was 322klm.
 :banana:
Surprised me but the gauge is actualy accurate! :shock:

Offline Vlad

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Reserve is there for a reason
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2007, 03:45:02 PM »
I run my bikes on reserve on a regular basis, sometimes even when the tank is full. Reasons for that are several:

- By running on reserve I keep the bottom of my tank clean, so there are no unpleasant surprises when I need those extra few liters. There's nothing worse than having the fuel you cannot use because your jets are clogged.

- Reserve will last about 30-50km on my 1200, so there's plenty of time to find a pump.

- I practice switching to reserve and remembering to switch back after fill up.
Vlad lives in Toronto, Canada and rides http://bandit.xxc.cc

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
Four gallons a fill up?
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2007, 04:12:35 PM »
Living in Arizona means long trips between fuel stops if you leave town.  I try and plan my fuel stops around the use of  reserve which can place you in a dangerous situation if your not prepared to suddenly have a plant shutdown while passing or in a twisty. The down side is this can also allow water to accumulate in the bottom of the tank and why it is important to use a fuel cleaner every other tank full which besides fighting deposit buildup also fights water build up through emulsification. You just have to use it in proportion about 1 fluid ounce per gallon. You should run your fuel down as far as possible past reserve if you can, remove the tank, drain and rise with a little more gas (1 cup) and pour out again through the filler, preferably in the back yard away from ignition sources like water heaters. replace the tank add 5 ounces of carburetor cleaner and refill with gas. Also avoid spraying the gas tank with a water house pressure sprayer around the fill cap which might have a leak.

Offline NarkolepticBandit600S

• TURBO TYPER!
Four gallons a fill up?
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2007, 01:16:11 PM »
Wow, I just read this thread and found out something very interinsing? Is the 12 the only one with a gas guage indicator? I got a 2001 B6 and deffinatly no indicator...haha, because I have had to switch to Res many times, lol. I only wish I had a indicator that would give me a little heads up on my low fule. If anyone reads this could you let me know if its just the B12 or if newer models of both bikes came with the indicator. thanks

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Four gallons a fill up?
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2007, 02:23:48 PM »
The 1200 had a gas gauge from the beginning. The 600 got one in '02 or '03, but the early 2G B6's, like yours, don't have one.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Four gallons a fill up?
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2007, 01:38:11 AM »
my '02 600 has the same fuel gauge as the 2G 1200. Works good. I don't know what I'd do without it.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline longislandbandit99

• Board Homesteader!
Four gallons a fill up?
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2007, 12:40:46 AM »
When my gauge goes to one bar and the tank symbol flashes, if I go right to the gas station and fill up I'll take on almost four gallons.  Sometimes a little less than four but usually about four.  Whatever that is 3.86-whatever gallons.  I've syphoned as much gas out of the tank as possible and turned it on to see what the gauge looks like, I don't think the one bar ever disappears does it?  When the gas gauge starts blinking I don't even bother to put it to reserve, only once that I can remember has the bike sputtered in the 'on' position where I had to switch to reserve and hit up a gas station.  I think then it took about 4.25 gallons.