Author Topic: PAIR Valve removal  (Read 23430 times)

Offline techb

• TURBO TYPER!
PAIR Valve removal
« on: April 29, 2005, 09:56:39 PM »
I have been thinking about removing the pair system. What would be the benefits of removal? Would there be any horsepower increase or any change in exhaust note? Thanks  :grin:

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
pair removal
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 10:23:58 PM »
There really is no horsepower advantage to pair removal.

The 2 advantages I'm aware of are:

1.  Weight reduction.  About 10+ lbs of crap taken off your bike.

2.  Easier engine access.  You can do valve adjustments alot easier, among other things.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
PAIR Valve removal
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 10:46:30 PM »
Yup, what Paul said... no change in HP or exhaust note, just weight loss and easier access for valve adjustments.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Steve

• Board Homesteader!
PAIR Valve removal
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2005, 04:52:00 AM »
Sealing up the Pair BS should help with the closed throttle popping though. Get's rid of the fresh air igniting with the unburned fuel in the hot exhaust.

Steve
Primer Grey b12S

Offline B12Teuton

• Board Homesteader!
PAIR Valve removal
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2005, 07:37:14 PM »
I did a PAIR removal 101 with pics and stuff.
Should be in the FAQ section on this site.
Manny
ATGATT (all the gear all the time!)
2006 KTM450XC Thump-whore

Offline banditoverde

• Board Homesteader!
PAIR Valve removal
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 01:24:25 AM »
Manny,

I'm planning on junking the PAIR stuff on my bike also (for off street, closed course, non-emission controlled purposes only of course :wink: )  Read your PAIR 101 and found it real easy to understand but I didn't quite understand what you used as a sealant between the plug and the engine.  Is one of the high temp silicone gasket goos good enough for the job?

:thanks:  in advance.

Ken

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
PAIR Valve removal
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2005, 04:52:38 AM »
I used exhaust quality gasket paper I picked up from NAPA.
Whatever you use, it should be capable of very high temps as the PAIR ports are channels to the exhaust and a leaky plate means an exhaust leak.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline banditoverde

• Board Homesteader!
PAIR Valve removal
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2005, 04:13:30 AM »
:thanks:  :beers:
Got it done and the scoot runs fine.  Makes it easier to put the rear plastic back on too.  One last question  though.  My scoot is 2nd gen.  There was one hose that ran from the pair canister to a fitting on the left rear of the tank.  I capped the fitting (Manny's 101 didn't mention this fitting).  The bike was cooling down tonight after a ride and the bike started whistling.  I opened the gas cap and it vented/sucked?  Closed the cap and it started whistling again after a few minutes. Should I uncap the fitting on the tank? If I do is there a chance of it dripping gas on the hot engine?
thanks again!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
PAIR Valve removal
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2005, 04:31:19 AM »
Do you have a California bike? I ask because you said PAIR canister... there is no canister in the PAIR system, just a valve with 4 lines that go to the cylinders, an air supply hose from the air box and a vacuum line that tees into the #4 carb's hose that runs the petcock. CA models do have a charcoal canister in the rear body work as well as a roll-over valve behind the right side cover.

If you have these extra parts, then you need to follow the instructions on Bill Blade's site.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline 99er

• Board Homesteader!
PAIR Valve removal
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2005, 10:27:59 PM »
Ha Ha,
I plugged that on Jay Hodges' bike and the bike would stall every 20 miles or so.javascript:emoticon(':shock:')Shocked
It's the tank vent. Open your top cap and look near the hinge on the inside. There is a rubber nipple of sorts that connects the inner tank with that bottom rear access point when the cap is snapped closed. The PAIR worked like the purge canisters do on cars, saving all those evil gasoline vapors for later. Leave it open or do like me and run it down to the bottom so oversloshing won't run all over your airbox.
The other connection point under that tank is a drain for accidental overfilling of the tank. Run that line down, too.
Marc/Atlanta

Offline banditoverde

• Board Homesteader!
PAIR Valve removal
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2005, 02:04:39 AM »
Oh! :duh:
Yes is a Democratic People's Republic of California bike.  Its pro-gun control and hires undocumented nannys but votes Republican for Governor.  Its a very confused bike :shock:

Off comes the plastic again.  Oh well, its still fun.
Put 150 miles of twisties on the scoot today w/ no probs, but if I'm gonna wrench I should wrench right.

Thanks

Offline GeoBandit

• TURBO TYPER!
PAIR Valve removal
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2005, 01:21:35 PM »
OK; remember there is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people!  I fall into the latter.  What is a Pair and where is it located
97 1200

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
PAIR Valve removal
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2005, 02:47:04 PM »
I'm sure one of our gurus can give a more technical explanation... but briefly... it's a system of hoses that 'recycles' unignited fuel back into the cylinders.  Kind of a lame energy conservation device.

The removal process consists of removing all the hoses and a block device under the tank... and then covering up the holes where the removed hoses connected to, as well as covering up the intake holes that are in the front of the cylinders (this part is done either with a kit - Like from Holeshot - or your own 'homemade' plates.

B12Teuton did a great job of showing how it's done here...

http://forums.banditalley.net/viewtopic.php?t=198&highlight=pair+removal

Offline GeoBandit

• TURBO TYPER!
PAIR Valve removal
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2005, 03:02:36 PM »
I went to the FAQ section and between your explination and P.A.I.R 101 removal.  i got the picture. I now know where it is located, how to remove it, and that it was designed to keep the EPA happy and to add $$$$ to the price.  Other than that it has no purpose and serv's no function.  I now what on my aggenda for the next rainy weekend.  Thanks.
97 1200