Author Topic: Putting carbs back on b12  (Read 3207 times)

Offline onebohemian

• TURBO TYPER!
Putting carbs back on b12
« on: August 25, 2005, 04:08:08 PM »
Finally got my 98 B12 carbs back together after a cleaning and decided last night to mount them back on the bike.  How come somebody didn't tell me that the toughest part isn't the accel/decel cables, it's getting the rubber boots of the air box back onto the carbs.  Ended up pulling the metal screen out of my air box so I could get my hand inside to push the boots onto the carbs and secure their clamps before I pushed the carb bank with attached airbox into the intake manifolds.  Got too late to start the bike after I got her buttoned up so will try it tonight.  Hope I don't have to take those things back out.

Mark
Minneapolis
[/list]
Mark
Minneapolis, MN

Offline jfudo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 05:05:16 PM »
Prepare yourself for some wonderful insight:   I don't know.  I would like the same answer.  Why did they have to make those stupid bumps on the airbox that keep you from sliding it back in the frame?

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 07:26:51 PM »
Can't offer any insight either, the first time my carbs came out was to install a jet kit and K&N pods, so I never had to wrestle that sucker back into the bike.
 :bigok:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline 99er

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2005, 08:59:32 AM »
Of course, you took a little WD40 and soaked the inside of each snorkel so that they readily slipped right on with almost no effort, right? NOT!  I did the same as you on my first effort (back in the 20th century). Next time you remove them, and it will happen, keep WD40 close.
Marc/Georgia USA

Offline 2005B12S

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2005, 03:47:18 PM »
If you do a lot of tuning, this is one reason to ditch the airbox for pods.
I can rejet my pod equipted 750 in 30 minutes tops without even disconnecting the throttle cable. They make carbs very easy to work on.

Good Luck, Ed.
2005 GSF1200SZ
1983 GS750ED
2005 GSF1200SZ
1983 GS750ED
1992 900SS

"The quality of the kite matters little, sucess depends upon the man sitting in it" Manfred Von Richthofen

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 09:11:08 AM »
Yes,WD40 or another light oil. And at the bike shop where my bike is a resident,we have a tool for that .It looks like a screw driver/corkscrew combo. It comes to a soft point that you slip under the boot and run it around with preasure. It pops right on(most of the time)

Offline onebohemian

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2005, 11:57:13 AM »
I used WD-40 on the snorkels from the airbox.  My problem was that, if I pushed the carbs into the intake manifolds first, I couldn't push the entire airbox against the carbs so all four snorkels mated at the same time.  The airbox just didn't seem to move close enough to the carbs.  Worked fine to mount airbox on carbs first and then push the whole assembly (carbs and airbox) into intake manifolds.  Will just do it like this next time.  

Hopefully I won't be pulling them for awhile.  Filled the bowls on prime for a few seconds, pulled the choke, and hit the starter.  Bike took off almost immediately.  Runs smooth again and has all the power it had before.  I've always got a slight popping on decel (which I'm lead to believe is an indication of the bike running lean), and that is still there, but bottom line is she's back to her prime.  My first b12 carb cleaning was a success.  

Mark
Mark
Minneapolis, MN

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2005, 04:37:51 AM »
I have a 2002 B-12, and I can tell you that after removing the carbs about 10 times, you will be able to do it in your sleep.