Author Topic: Questions about SS Brake Lines  (Read 4331 times)

Offline kokomosam

• Board Regular!
    • Kokomo Sam's Site
Questions about SS Brake Lines
« on: February 18, 2008, 05:12:26 PM »
Hello all,

I hate to ask a dumb question, but I think I have a few related to SS brake lines.  As I am prep-ing the bike for prime ridng weather i am planning on adding stainless steel lines on the front brakes and probably the clutch as well.  My problem comes when knowing which ones to buy

Looking at few retailers sell 2 line kits and OEM routing kits  Others sell 2 line and 3 line kits. 
Can I assume that 3 line and OEM are the same?
Can someone explain the difference and advantages to each?

Thanks

Sam

« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 10:14:15 PM by kokomosam »

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Questions about SS Brake Lines
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 05:31:01 PM »
The 3 line kits replicate the OEM routing through the block between the forks, the 2 line kits skip that and route straight from the brakes to the master cylinder.

I personally prefer the stock look... so when I get around to it I'll be getting the 3 line kit.

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 05:46:00 PM »
The OEM setup on the 2G Bandits is a three hose. There is a splitter on the lower triple tree. (Remember however, the OEM hoses are rubber, NOT stainless).

I used the standard splitter, and a three hose system for my set-up, with Goodridge SS hoses.
Advantages: - uses stock hose routing, splitter and hangers, etc. This allows everything to fit as it did on the stock bike. I re-used the rubber protector "sleeves" and hanger rubbers from the stock hoses.
Disadvantages - You need more crush washers, have more potential for leaks, meaning more possibility for air leaks. But, once everything is tight, it's tight.

I wanted the stock routing, so I went this way.

A two line set-up needs two longer lines, that connect right to the master cylinder. If you are building a custom, or want to get rid of all the stock bits (splitter, hangers, etc) this tends to make a cleaner set-up.
Advantages - less connections/places to leak. Gets rid of stock splitter. Can make a cleaner looking installation.
Disadvantages - you may need to make up your own hangers, or modify the stock hangers to keep the lines away from any rub points.

Performance should be effectively equal. For full race applications, the two line set-up does hold a little more fluid, so it should heat up a little less. Both set-ups will add additional power under full pressure, due to less line expansion. To add some additional initial "bite", consider a set of after market HH pads as well.

Good luck, let us know how it goes, and what you think.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline kokomosam

• Board Regular!
    • Kokomo Sam's Site
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 10:15:15 PM »
Thanks Guys. :thanks:

That helps alot.

Sam

Offline kokomosam

• Board Regular!
    • Kokomo Sam's Site
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 11:58:31 AM »
OK.   I ordered some SS lines yesterday.

I ordered Galfer OEM routing front brake lines and Clutch lines in Smoke color.

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Galfer_Stainless_Steel_Brake_Lines_Suzuki_Bandit1200--504464.html

Once I get them on I will post a review.

Sam

Offline kokomosam

• Board Regular!
    • Kokomo Sam's Site
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 08:47:39 PM »
OK.   I ordered some SS lines yesterday.

I ordered Galfer OEM routing front brake lines and Clutch lines in Smoke color.

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Galfer_Stainless_Steel_Brake_Lines_Suzuki_Bandit1200--504464.html

Once I get them on I will post a review.

Sam

OK.  Got the Galfer SS lines today.

Here are the front brake lines with OEM routing.  Do they seem short to you?

Clutch line

I will try and get them installed in March, so I will be ready for riding season.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 08:52:16 PM by kokomosam »

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 09:32:43 PM »

Here are the front brake lines with OEM routing.  Do they seem short to you?

I can't say since I went with the 2-line setup, but hold 'em up to the stockers, they should be the same... the top line MAY be longer than OE, since it's a reported 'fix' for folks who go with taller bars or risers.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)