Author Topic: rear fender  (Read 3979 times)

Offline flip

• Board Homesteader!
rear fender
« on: April 20, 2005, 03:04:53 AM »
Will the rear fender for a 1g b12 fit a 1g b6? Thanks to a mishap, mine now has a couple of large holes in it under the seat and needs to be replaced. I thought about patching the holes and installing a hugger but my personal banker(wife) vetoed that purchase.

Offline snofrog

• Board Homesteader!
rear fender
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 05:25:20 AM »
Flip ... curious minds want to know ,what kind of mishap creates large holes in the fender ? M
oo b12 s
thank`s Ivan
z/g smoke sr
yosh ss can
crg bar end mirrors

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
rear fender
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 06:58:30 AM »
Wasn't Flip the unfortunate soul who had a set of dogbones break?

Yes, the inner fenders are the same on 1G 600's & 1G 1200's.  :bigok:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline flip

• Board Homesteader!
rear fender
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 01:20:52 PM »
Yep, that was me. I was doing about 65mph when the dogbones snapped and the rear end of the bike dropped down on the tire. The seat was about 2 feet above the road, the handlebars seemed to be way up there and the forks seemed raked out. I had a Bandit chopper!

Offline sloper10

• Board Homesteader!
chopper...
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 12:37:36 AM »
Dang, flip....did you just slide upright to a stop?  Were the dogbones homemade or from a fabricator?....dang...
2007 Kawasaki KLR650...good fun..

2005 Turbo Hayabusa....pushing 400hp...sometimes a scary ride...

Offline flip

• Board Homesteader!
broken suspension links
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005, 12:42:22 PM »
I bought the bike used and the dogbones were already on it. I don't know who made them. I didn't know the suspension wasn't stock until I found out that the 2g b12 shock I bought on ebay just wouldn't fit.
     When the dogbones snapped, I thought the engine was history. It just lost power and I let off the throttle and started coasting down while the tire ate through the rear fender. I didn't skid or slide any. I guess the grip of the tire and my weight kept the tire from sliding.
     I found a fender on ebay and it should be here in a few days. The dogbones are back ordered from Ron Ayers so it will be about 3 weeks or so before I'll get them. I think I'll swap in the b12 shock when they get here. 30 minutes before all of this happened, I had ordered some Holeshot mirror extenders. They are in now. I am ready to get my bike in running condition and ride!

Offline sloper10

• Board Homesteader!
dogbones...
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2005, 01:03:41 PM »
Now you have a great fireside story with an ending that does not include broken bones...other than the dogs.... :motorsmile:
2007 Kawasaki KLR650...good fun..

2005 Turbo Hayabusa....pushing 400hp...sometimes a scary ride...

Offline flip

• Board Homesteader!
rear fender
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2005, 12:25:38 AM »
Ron Ayers finally sent the dog bones. I finished putting them in about 3am Thursday morning. It seems strange with the rear end sitting 2-3 inches lower. I didn't hit any twisty roads hard today out of lack of confidence in my wrench turning skills and concern of my rear tire. The melting rear fender dripped down on the tire and hardened there. I had to chip off a hunk of plastic that was a couple of inches wide and 4-5 inches long and maybe 1/2 inch think in one spot. I didn't notice anything unusual during a little over an hour of riding so I guess no harm done. I still haven't gotten around to installing the ebay rear fender. I may try trimming it up a little before it goes in.