Author Topic: required chain replacement tools  (Read 6435 times)

Offline lucas

• Board Homesteader!
required chain replacement tools
« on: June 09, 2006, 12:46:45 PM »
Hi,

I think I am going to try replacing my chain on my 2005 1200s bandit. I have never done this before and I would like to know before hand what all I will need.

So obviously I will need the chain. But what tools will I need to do the job with? A dremel? A chain breaker kit? Just a chain breaker? Just a dremel? Both? All of the above and more? :wtf:

Can anyone recommend a kit that I can use to do the entire job of breaking the chain and then riviting a new link to make the chain endless?

I did search all the posts and I can't get a good handle on everything I'll need.

Thanks

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 12:56:02 PM »
You'll need something to cut/break the old chain off (unless you want to remove the swingarm). I have air tools, so I use a cutoff wheel in a die grinder and just cut the chain.

You'll need a rivet tool unless you use a clip style master link or one of those fancy new master links with the tiny little nuts.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline lucas

• Board Homesteader!
clip style master link or one of those fancy new master link
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 01:18:43 PM »
OK

I was not aware that there was another option other than an endless chain.

Have you or anyone out there used a clip style master link or one of those fancy new master links with the tiny little nuts?

So to get the chain off all I need is a chain breaker? And then I could use a clip style master link with tiny little nuts to avoid riveting a new link?

Thank you for responding. I am really green at this. I have managed to get the wheels off to get new tires, replaced the spark plugs myself, replaced the air filter, and did oil changes i.e. basic maientence. So I hope doing those basic things is not just making me dangerious. I don't want to get in over my head. But taking it to the dealer scares the hell out me because they might be as culeless as I am.

Thanks

Offline tannerismyhero

• Board Homesteader!
chain replacement
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 02:17:36 PM »
when I replaced my chain I used my dremel to cut the old one off. I am lazy and just wanted to replace the old chain and remove as little as possible. I had never done it before so if I can do it anyone can. I replaced the rear sprocket at the same time because it had a chipped tooth on it (so I had to take off the rear wheel) . I'd imagine that just loosening the back wheel up would be sufficient to change the chain. You do need a metric set of allen head wrenches to take off the cover over the front sprocket. DO NOT PULL THE CLUTCH WHEN THE COVER IS OFF!  I used the clip provided and popped it on with a pair of needlenose. Don't forget your o-rings. I am prolly going to either find someone that has a chain tool or go to the dealer and have them put on the rivit piece. I thought about getting that bolt on type link....it seems like it would work. The clip is good for me now tho.
01 1200s

Offline tannerismyhero

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 02:20:35 PM »
also you'll need a 10mm wrench I think to get the shifter off so that you can remove the cover. Sorry. Replaceing the chain isn't that hard. If you want a step by step just ask. Otherwise it sounds like you got a half bit of sense if you have gottend your tire off before and you shouldn't have a problem.
01 1200s

Offline lucas

• Board Homesteader!
chain replacement
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 03:00:04 PM »
So did you use the master link with a clip or no? If you did use the master link method where did you purchase it?

I used the clip provided and popped it on with a pair of needlenose. Don't forget your o-rings. I am prolly going to either find someone that has a chain tool or go to the dealer and have them put on the rivit piece. I thought about getting that bolt on type link....it seems like it would work. The clip is good for me now tho.

Thanks for responding

Offline JayRo

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2006, 02:11:24 AM »
I recently replaced both sprockets and my chain.  It is pretty easy if you take your time.  Make sure you inspect your front sprocket before you cut your old chain off.  That should be the first thing before you even take the wheel and chain loose.  If you have to replace the front sprocket, the easiest thing I have found is to have someone step on the brake so you can loosen that big 22 or 24mm(can't remember the exact size) nut.  My chain came with a rivet link, even though I ordered it with a clip type, so I had to make my own riveting tool...I am really cheap.  Most people would cringe if they saw how I did it, but the rivet ends came out well formed and has given me no problems.

Jason

Offline lucas

• Board Homesteader!
CHAIN DID X-RING 530VM100 - CH530-100 X-RING
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2006, 03:28:14 AM »
Thanks to all that have responded.

Would this be the correct chain to order:

CHAIN DID X-RING 530VM100 - CH530-100 X-RING

It' $105.00 at bobs cycle.

And to do specify to them if I want to use a rivet link or master link?

Luke

Offline tannerismyhero

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2006, 02:15:42 PM »
no i dont think that is the right one to order. Mine was 110 links. You may want to go to the dealer (as much as I hate em) and see what they can get. The yamaha dealer here was selling a RK oring chain for 35 bucks. not a bad price....and you can make sure it comes with the clip.

The clip is the one you can put on with a pair of plyers. the other masterlink you would need a chain riviter which basically mushrooms the posts over the link so it cant come off...I wouldn't buy a chain breaker tho. A dremel tool with a few cutting disks would be a better way to go just for the fact that you can use a dremel for a ton of other things and a chain breaker for just...well...breaking chains. How often do you do that? If you had a buddy that has a breaker payment of a couple of beers to borrow it is payment.
01 1200s

Offline lucas

• Board Homesteader!
chain replacement
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2006, 04:56:16 PM »
Hi,

Thanks again for the response. But I would need a 109 link chain right? 109 + the master link and that's 110.

luke

Offline JayRo

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2006, 01:52:06 AM »
All chain sizes are going to be even numbers 110, 112, 114, etc.  You will never have an odd number.  I don't know if there were any changes made for 05 regarding the drive chain, but my Clymers book says that 2001 and on bikes take a 112 links.  My book only references up to 2003 though.  You can always cut links off.  If you are still not sure, just count the pins on what you have now.  
Jason

Offline tannerismyhero

• Board Homesteader!
Re: chain replacement
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2006, 03:17:13 PM »
Quote from: lucas
Hi,

Thanks again for the response. But I would need a 109 link chain right? 109 + the master link and that's 110.

luke

The chains are in even numbers cause if you had 55 links on top, there would only be 54 links on bottom. that could cause some problems. Make sure you have the links right when put on. Just check the slack before everything is bolted back on
01 1200s

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2006, 03:58:34 PM »
The DID VM chain I bought came with a rivet style master link.
Same with the DID ZVM that replaced it.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline chupacabra

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2006, 07:32:36 AM »
The DID 530VM chain I bought came with both a rivet style master link and a clip style. The DID 530ZVM that replaced it came only with a rivet style master link.
Dave . . . San Diego, California
1996 GSF600S Marble Italian Red
I bought new in sept of 95
D.I.D. 530ZVM gold x-ring chain
Pirelli Diablo 120/60F & Strada 160/60R
Progressive fork springs
H.S. HD rear axle nut & washer
Hole Shot 17" comp1 can

Offline lucas

• Board Homesteader!
chain replacement
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2006, 11:54:33 AM »
HI,

Thanks for responding.

"The DID 530VM chain I bought came with both a rivet style master link and a clip style. The DID 530ZVM that replaced it came only with a rivet style master link."

Where did you purchase the chain that had a clip and rivit?

My owners manual says the chain is 110 links. That must include the master link? RIght?

Thanks

Luke