Author Topic: shock question  (Read 5471 times)

Offline MazdaRx

• TURBO TYPER!
shock question
« on: July 17, 2008, 05:33:50 PM »
Alright.  First a BIG THANKS to everyone on here.  You guys have helped answer all my other questions perfectly. 

Now ... another question i need help on :)

I read the FAQ's for the bike and saw the suspension thread.  The only shock really mentioned is the progressive 420 for a upgrade... well i talked to Dale @ Holeshot and he informed me progressive no longer makes the shock for the bandit.  He did recommend works performance shocks.   I emailed them and am waiting on a response.

I was wondering if anyone else have used these shocks or if they can recommend one for me?

I adjusted my rear shock to 7 and 4 which is the max i can with the stock one and it does ok BUT my wife now likes to cruise with me on the back ,  she is only 120 lbs so no biggie BUT i am 255lbs and I am affraid i might be putting too much load on the bike with the stock shock when we ride together and don't want to cause a mishap due to overload. 

Any suggestions.. besides me losing weight ( at 6'5" i am not that overweight, think football player size)  or getting a diffrent bike (i love my b6)  I guess the sad truth is we might not be able to ride together.   The bike seemed fine when we did cruise the couple times together but we didn't go more than 25 miles each time and I guess some internet articles i read on max load for bikes and tires has me a tad bit spooked. 

Offline MazdaRx

• TURBO TYPER!
Re: shock question
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 09:12:04 AM »
bikebandit.com has progressive 420's in stock still but they are for the b12  would it fit a b6 by chance?

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 12:04:34 PM »
Hey MazdaRx

Sure the 2nd Gen B12 shock will fit fine in a 2nd Gen B6. It IS a little longer than stock, and will raise the rear slightly, but this is a common upgrade for many B6ers. (I have a stock B12 shock in my B6 now).

The other benefit of the B12 shock, is it normally comes with a slightly stiffer spring than a std B6. I don't know if this is true for the Progressive 420 or not, but is generally true.

Both Progressive & Works Performace shocks would be a decent upgrade to a standard B6 shock. Ohlins, are an excellent upgrade, but usually quite expensive.

You can also consider a 1st gen "Busa" shock, which is longer yet than the B12 shock. You will want to firm up the front forks with stiffer springs to compensate. You can also change to a taller 120-70 series front tire from the stock 120-60, which would raise the front a bit as well.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline MazdaRx

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 06:51:58 PM »
Works Performace shocks Quoted me about 100 dollars more than what i can get a Ohlins for my Bike so i guess the Ohlins will be my choice.  Thanks for the help,  If that doesn't work out i will get the B12 progressive for a hundred bucks less than the Ohlins.   :thumb:

Offline GETFURIOUS

• CAPS LOCK IS STUCK
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 12:33:50 AM »
Works Performace shocks Quoted me about 100 dollars more than what i can get a Ohlins for my Bike so i guess the Ohlins will be my choice.  Thanks for the help,  If that doesn't work out i will get the B12 progressive for a hundred bucks less than the Ohlins.   :thumb:

I HAVE A STOCK B-12 SHOCK FOR SALE.....

YOU CAN HAVE A SHOCK UPGRADE FOR LESS THAN $100.00.....
2001 BANDIT 1200S - MY DOCTOR ALWAYS SAYS, TAKE A SHOT OF B-12 AND CALL ME IN THE MORNING!  I LOVE MY DOCTOR!

W-T-B - AFTERMARKET CHROME/POLISHED WHEELS-LIKE THESE-http://www.exoticsportbike.com/star2.htm

Offline MazdaRx

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 03:25:29 PM »
i am interested if it will support someone of my size with a passenger.?

Offline BanditoNova

• TURBO TYPER!
  • Love is . . . twisting the wrist!
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 08:59:39 AM »
i am interested if it will support someone of my size with a passenger.?

My wife & I regularly ride on my B12 with no issues and we're approx. the same combined weight as you & yours. Stock shock set on 6. Not sure about the rebound damping setting. Running Metzler roadtec Z6 @ 42psi front & back. I wouldn't think you'd have any problems.

Just my .02c
This is where something witty and intelligent goes . . .

Offline MazdaRx

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 11:46:15 AM »
Thanks for the info.  If you guys have no issues at about the same combined weight i will save some $$ and buy a B12 stock shock as an upgrade and invest my money in a holeshot jet / exhaust upgrade instead.    Now to find a stock b12 rear shock in good shape :)   I suppose can always upgrade the spring if needed too.   Thanks again for our .02 :)

Offline Dave 02 1200

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 04:20:51 PM »
If you are interested in a clean low-mileage Busa shock for $50.00 (price reduced) plus actual shipping, see my ad in the classified section.
Busa Shock
HS Stage 1 Jet Kit
Superbike Bars with Bar End Mirrors
Kriss Headlight Modulator

Offline MazdaRx

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 07:25:31 PM »
Thank you but i picked up a used b12 shock locally with 1800 miles on it.  thanks again though.

Offline 00Bandit600sOC

• Board Regular!
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 09:48:53 PM »
to anyone interested:

Today I swapped my 2000 B6 rear shock for a 2005 GSXR 1000 Showa Shock..... :trustme: :trustme:
fits well after cutting the battery box to make room for piggyback Nitrogen reservoir.....
Love that yellow spring.....No word yet on performance....Bike is not running yet
00 B6 bandit, 05 gsxr 1000 rear Showa shock,snorkle removed,7900 mi..Vance/Hines SSR Slip-on from a ZX6R