Author Topic: Stock Exhaust Mod  (Read 20059 times)

Offline jwalters

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://genome.uiowa.edu/~jwalters
Stock Exhaust Mod
« on: April 21, 2005, 01:24:57 AM »
Anyone successfully removed/punctured/drilled into a baffle on their stock exhaust to get a better sound?  Additional horsepower isn't a concern.  After market slip ons are an option, but before I go spending $200-400 on a new can, I thought I would see if anyone has had luck with modifying the stock exhaust.
:thanks:

-jesse
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1972 Honda CB 750 K2 Cafe Racer
1985 RZ 350
2006 DR650SE

Nesba #013

Offline Steve

• Board Homesteader!
Stock Exhaust Mod
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 05:13:15 AM »
Jesse,

Before I got my Yosh slip on I did drilled out the baffles in my stocker. It made more sound, it was an improvement, but no improvement in the performance. Being able to hear the engine was good for me though, I like to know what's going on and with the stocker sometimes I actually could not hear the engine over the wind noise.

I suggest that you wait until you can get yourself a nice Yosh slip-on. No prejudice here, they are just the best (IMHO, no offense to anyone). A new slip on with a mid pipe will make a difference, even without re-jetting. When you re-jet (you will) things get to be really fun!

Steve
Primer Grey b12S

Offline BBurton

• Board Homesteader!
Stock Exhaust Mod
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 10:08:30 AM »
I highly recommend a Scorpion exhaust, no rejetting or repacking and have a lifetime warranty. I will also bet that you won't find any better sounding slip-on/bolt-on anywhere. IMHO as well as others. :grin: Check out pipecity on the net. I drilled my can out, "I did have an 03 B12" sound improved over stock, but nothing takes the place of a good aftermarket can.
2005 " All Black" DL1000 V-Strom
"CAUTION", front wheel may rise under hard acceleration!

Offline jwalters

• Board Homesteader!
Stock Exhaust Mod
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 11:42:08 AM »
Thanks for the replys!  But maybe I didn't make myself clear, I don't want to spend the dough for a slip on/bolt on.   I realize they would provide better performance/sound, but I just don't want to spend the money. (I'm a cheap @$$)  I was just curious if anyone has done the mod I described above and if so how? (drill, cut or pound it out)  I really don't want this to turn into a holy war of "what exhaust is the best" so I'll just leave it at that.
Thanks!
jesse
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1985 RZ 350
2006 DR650SE

Nesba #013

Offline land_shark

• Board Homesteader!
Stock Exhaust Mod
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 01:06:34 PM »
Call this guy.  He'll stick it up in there....

:beers:  :stickpoke:  :banana:
Jason
2000 B12 "Hiro"
2001 KLR650 "Putt-putt"
2005-ish 47cc Cagllari "Balzac"

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Stock Exhaust Mod
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2005, 04:01:58 PM »
Quote from: "jwalters"
Thanks for the replys!  But maybe I didn't make myself clear, I don't want to spend the dough for a slip on/bolt on.   I realize they would provide better performance/sound, but I just don't want to spend the money. (I'm a cheap @$$)  I was just curious if anyone has done the mod I described above and if so how? (drill, cut or pound it out)  I really don't want this to turn into a holy war of "what exhaust is the best" so I'll just leave it at that.
Thanks!
jesse

I'm only asking $60.plus shipping for the D&D carbon fiber can. It was $600. new. If noone on the list takes it,I'll take it to the swap meet at Mid Ohio. Dan.  (Dclander396@aol)

Offline 99er

• Board Homesteader!
Stock Exhaust Mod
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2005, 04:15:54 PM »
So that D&D is a huge deal, considering the amount of effort and resultant blah sound that will result for tinkering with the stocker. I remember a Bandit Talk lister, Tom Welch, trying it with a big bit and having a heck of a time. Nothing like the sound of a GSXR air-cooled motor through a glass pack. Spend the $60.
Marc/Atl

Offline Steve

• Board Homesteader!
Stock Exhaust Mod
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2005, 05:26:51 PM »
After market slip ons are an option

maybe I didn't make myself clear

I just don't want to spend the money

Nope, it wasn't very clear, seems to kinda change as the thread goes on. The one thing that has been clear after reading threads about this subject for several years now is that most folks (including myself) are not happy with the results of drilling out their baffles on the Bandit and end up buying (at least) a slip on.

Good luck,

Steve
Primer Grey b12S

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Stock Exhaust Mod
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2005, 07:14:46 PM »
I see your bike is a '98. I don't know how many miles are on it, but I assume it has enough miles on it that any baffle removal in the mid pipe or muffler will be made more difficult by the fact that the heat cycles of the metal will have made it very hard and difficult to cut. It can be done, but don't expect it to be a fast and easy mod.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline chevsuz12

• Board Homesteader!
Stock Exhaust Mod
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2005, 12:47:29 AM »
Yes, I partially drilled it out at first.  Little to no performance difference noticed, but sounded better.

Later I COMPLETELY gutted the can!  This was a pain in the ass!  It took about 6 hours and a lot of beer.  But it can be done!

Tools used:

One big hammer (2-3lb. sledgehammer with short handle).
Something long straight and solid preferably with a pointed flat end [/b](No not a screwdriver!)  (Instead, I used the lugnut wrench from my 1995 Chevy Pickup) This worked perfectly due to the fact that it has a big head (socket side) to strike, and pointed flat surface to cut the internals.  
A big pair of channel locks (this is used to grasp and twist the metal baffles.

Once tools are obtained get a beer.

Place the can on a Very well padded surface that is then placed on something hard like concrete.  

Take a swig of beer

Stand can upright and working from the flange end,start trying to remove the screen, then baffles.

You will find it easier to attempt to strike the sides of the baffles/screen, as these are spot welded into place.  Once welds are broken the piece is sitting inside can, try to bend it so as to remove it. (Use your pliers)

Have more beer, and go take a piss!

Continue doing this until your bar is not long enough to reach the last baffle.

Drink More Beer!

Flip can over and try to knock out the last baffle, be careful not to scar the exhaust tip.  Once the last one is free pull it out from the flange side.

More beer!

Reinstall on bike, start bike and be happy!  (Do not ride if you had too many beers! :stop:    :beers:    :congrats:

You will notice a huge performance difference, and it will sound every bit as good as any aftermarket can!

I ran this for quite some time with a holeshot stage 2 kit.  I eventually found a good deal on a used D&D pipe, and put that on only because I always hated the looks of that big stock pipe.  But people will be amazed at how good your bike sounds with the STOCK pipe!
 :beers:  :beers:  :beers:
B12 Streetfighter!

Offline jwalters

• Board Homesteader!
Stock Exhaust Mod
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2005, 10:50:39 AM »
Super Thanks!
jesse
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1985 RZ 350
2006 DR650SE

Nesba #013

Offline notagix

• TURBO TYPER!
Stock Exhaust Mod
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2005, 04:43:53 PM »
I did it on a GSXR-750, only I used a 2" hole saw and a long extension from both ends to drill the baffles, it sounded awsome, LOUD!

Offline jwalters

• Board Homesteader!
Stock Exhaust Mod
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2005, 11:57:12 AM »
How bad of an idea would it be to drill a 1/8" inch hole into the exhaust while the bike is on it's center stand?  I was thinking about drilling from the exhaust hole inward.  Would a hole of this size make a difference?
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1985 RZ 350
2006 DR650SE

Nesba #013

Offline chevsuz12

• Board Homesteader!
Stock Exhaust Mod
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2005, 01:50:47 PM »
I don't think that drilling holes does much good, other than making it louder.  The problem is the exhaust flow is still interrupted by all of the baffling.  If you completely gut it, it is completely open, thus no restriction.
B12 Streetfighter!

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
mod
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2005, 01:52:27 PM »
Ah heck, do like the Harley & kit riders around here and just hack-saw off the silencer.  You'll hear your motor all right.  Actually, unless you're really skilled with metal work, I'd shop this site or ebay for a deal.  From experience, I've wasted many days and skinned a lot of knuckles saving a few bucks.